Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone

I have cleaned up this thread of extraneous discussion, http://www.macanforum.com/forum/ordering-features-questions/96817-open-letter-new-buyers-code-debaters.html, and stuck it in the ordering subforum. @Aprilia850 did a good job expressing his thoughts. Its a reasonable thing for new members to read. Now to address the mini-explosion that occurred Friday.

I was appalled to see some of the posts. This forum is a haven in the wild west of the Internet. Its pretty much self governing. And 99.9% of the time, everyone is respectful of each other and behave like adults.

I would urge everyone to re-read the Rules of the Forum here http://www.macanforum.com/forum/new-member-introductions/9665-forum-rules-guidelines.html. What's not written down is "Do not feed the trolls". It gives them want the want. Ignore it and report it. I'm not going to go over all those rules. You all are adults and can read yourself. It's standard stuff you find in most forums. I will only highlight two.

Do not make ad hominem attacks on another member. Disagreements are fine. Everyone disagrees with someone else some time, but ad hominem attacks are not. For example, you can say "Grim, you're wrong because of xyz" and cite some source to back your argument. That's cool. Its fine to disagree and support your argument.

You can't say: "Grim your an xxxx because I say so". It's a logical fallacy to fall back on when you are losing an argument. You also can't say: "Grim, your wrong because you are a green Martian living here in disguise and everyone knows green Martians are morons". See Rule #2 . That will be a ban. Obviously this extends to entire countries. You can't say "All martians are morons" implying that since you are a green martian, you too are a moron.

The second rule I want to highlight is the no politics (or religious discussion) rule. Obviously, the next 9 months will be a time where politics will be on the mind of many, at least in the US. This is an automotive forum with a focus on Macans. While you free to discuss any subject in the Macan Lounge, you are not free to make comments on current politics, domestic or international. Keep it to yourself or go somewhere else. If you want to talk about if it was wise or not for Julius Caesar to cross the Rubicon River, thats cool. It's ancient history. It's not cool to discuss modern politics.

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Grim, you are right because I say so!

And because you are just reiterating forum rules.;). My personal rule of thumb is: If I am not going to say to someone face to face what I am posting, I am not posting it. And I am talking to that person assuming my child is right there listening, or reading what I am typing.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I must say I wrote one of those "colorful language" posts in response to a couple of comments that were attacking other forum members just because of their nationality (which happens to be the most common nationality in this very forum!) That's something that as an expat for 15 years now and having traveled extensively accross the globe, I simply can't stand.

Anyway, I should have remember rule #1 that I myself was charged to apply years ago as a forum mod: Just report what you think is contrary to the forum rules, and the admin or mods will take care. And if somebody, including the authors of those inappropriate comments on an otherwise great thread, feel hurt by my post, here are my sincere apologies.

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone.

Please be sure to read the Terms of Service (TOS) while using the website. VerticalScope - Driven by Enthusiasts Its on the bottom of every page. Some things not in the rules are clearly covered under the TOS. They are not in the specific rules probably because you had to agree to them upon signing up and are fairly obvious and standard things. I'll highlight three things you cannot do:

". Use the Web Site to instigate or encourage others to commit illegal activities ...

. Use the Web Site to post or transmit any unlawful ... information of any kind, including without limitation any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any local, state, provincial, national or international law.

. Use the Web Site to post or transmit any information, software or other material that violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material that is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights or that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without first obtaining permission from the owner or rights holder."

It would seem to me that the last bullet is an example of the second bullet. It then goes on to discuss actions that can be taken.

So, here's how I read this in simple English.

Use common sense. But specifically, do not violate copyright laws. Respect the Intellectual Property of others. If you don't own the copyright to an article or obtained permission of the author, then to be safe, don't post the entire article. Understand fair use.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Not sure what I missed.... Hopefully everyone has calmed down and we all can get back to enjoying the forum and sharing our love of the Macan.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
@rkirshner "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Plus, we have to keep @grim engaged so he doesn't get bored and leave.

But the truth is, there were comments that went way over the line based on the rules of this forum, and he had to step in for something that should have never happened, or gone as far as it did.

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really should not have to reiterate this. I hate doing it and I hate being the bad guy - seriously, I really do not like admonishing anyone. However, there were recent political comments in a thread (since deleted). So maybe sometimes we need reminders.

You are all adults. You know the rules. DO NOT make political comments anywhere in this forum.

I get it. We all have opinions one way or the other and we all slip sometimes and insert them into our thoughts. Its human nature. But, as the months go by getting closer and closer to US elections, such discussions or comments never end well. The warnings are over. All posts that contain some kind of political content are now treated as infractions or bans. Or to put it simply. ...

This is an automotive forum primarily meant for the discussion of the Porsche Macan. Discussions of other Porsche models or any other car model are welcome in the appropriate subforum. Discussion of OT subjects (i.e., not automotive related) are welcome in the Macan Lounge. Discussion of Politics of any nature, domestic or international, anywhere in the forum will get you banned.

Now go drive your Macans and have fun:)

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A quick reminder. Just because there is no specific rule about alluding to or referencing adult subjects does not mean they are subjects open for discussion or referencing. This is a FAMILY FRIENDLY place for the discussion of Macans. It's not a bar.

They can be viewed as trolling, defined as: "submitting a deliberately provocative posting with the aim of inciting an angry response. If you are suspected of doing so, you will receive an infraction" or fall under rule #4 "colorful language is not allowed." or the OT rule "Keep discussions on topic".

Don't do it. For those who have no idea what I am talking about, that's good.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
A quick reminder. Just because there is no specific rule about alluding to or referencing adult subjects does not mean they are subjects open for discussion or referencing. This is a FAMILY FRIENDLY place for the discussion of Macans. It's not a bar.

They can be viewed as trolling, defined as: "submitting a deliberately provocative posting with the aim of inciting an angry response. If you are suspected of doing so, you will receive an infraction" or fall under rule #4 "colorful language is not allowed." or the OT rule "Keep discussions on topic".

Don't do it. For those who have no idea what I am talking about, that's good.

Thanks!
Ok @grim, I get the part about 'adult' subjects, potty humor, etc. Really, I do. But just so I'm clear, are you saying that if we make political comments we're Cruzin'?, Likely to get Bernied by you? Well, I guess your opinion Trumps ours. :(It's just that some political comments are so darned Hillaryous! Oh well, we'll cope. And keep up the good work!:D

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Ok @grim , I get the part about 'adult' subjects, potty humor, etc. Really, I do. But just so I'm clear, are you saying that if we make political comments we're Cruzin'?, Likely to get Bernied by you? Well, I guess your opinion Trumps ours. :(It's just that some political comments are so darned Hillaryous! Oh well, we'll cope. And keep up the good work!:D
I see what you did there. Clever! >:D

Reactions: Hokie

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should not have to remind anyone of this but it appears I have to. Please respect the Intellectual Property of others. The TOS of this website explicitly states: "You may not ... Use the Web Site to post or transmit any information ... that violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right ... without first obtaining permission from the owner or rights holder." Please be aware of this as some companies are quick to issue DMCA take down notices whether you know it or not.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Darn it -- I HATE it when I miss juicy stuff! It is a valuable reminder for ME to never forget that there are folks out there that set examples for who I DO NOT want to be...

Reactions: djs2303 and grim

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I should not have to remind anyone of this but it appears I have to. Please respect the Intellectual Property of others. The TOS of this website explicitly states: "You may not ... Use the Web Site to post or transmit any information ... that violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right ... without first obtaining permission from the owner or rights holder." Please be aware of this as some companies are quick to issue DMCA take down notices whether you know it or not.

You just have to look at EBay and see all the obfuscated or removed Porsche logos on knock off accessories to guess which company is fast to issue the notices.

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You just have to look at EBay and see all the obfuscated or removed Porsche logos on knock off accessories to guess which company is fast to issue the notices.
Imagine that. Please do not violate the Intellectual Property, in any manner, of any company. Whether or not the company is aggressive or not in seeking redress is moot.

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While this rarely comes up, I really hate to have to remind people about this in this day and age, but I STRONGLY urge all members to READ RULE #2 carefully. While I tend to be lenient about a lot of things, violations of Rule #2 are not tolerated. There are no "do overs". Make a racial slur and you are gone.

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I should not have to explain this as it should be self-evident. Please refer back to http://www.macanforum.com/forum/macan-general-discussion-forum/97106-please-re-read-forum-rules.html#post1501522 "This is a FAMILY FRIENDLY place for the discussion of Macans. It's not a bar." This has always been a family friendly place as far as I know. So let me make Rule #4 clear Cursing or colorful language is not allowed.

That does not mean you get a pass because you decide to use an acronym or try to get around the automated filters when your intention was perfectly clear to use foul or vile language. If you want to write like you talk at a bar, then go a bar. This is family place to discuss cars. Its not anywhere else.

Please respect that atmosphere

thanks

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.