Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if this is a common problem with the Macan. But let the car idle for about 5 minutes. Then have somebody give it some throttle and see if there is A LOT of smoke coming out of the exhaust.
If there is, it might well be the valve seals that are hardened.
There are a lot of additives that harden the valve seals which cause oil from the engine head to slip through the seals and end up in the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have you checked if there is any oil accumulation on the underside of the vehicle?
You would need to remove the composite skid plate like panels to see from front to back.

I have an old jeep that kept needing transmission fluid but I would rarely see and drippings in my garage. Turns out it was a slow leak that occurred only when the car was on and didn’t drip directly to the floor. So the dripping happened when I was driving and the wind draft smeared that drip from front to back of the underside. When the tranny line to the oil cooler burst the oil puddled on the floor. When the car was up on the lift. The entire driver side undercarriage has oil on it from front to back.

I hope this turns out to be your issue. Would be a less expensive fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
3,426 Posts
I recommend searching air oil separator with google. You'll find if those fail they can allow oil
into the combusiotn chamber and out the exhaust ruining O2 sensors, etc. One person cited
oil dripping out of the tailpipe.

Further, it was also noted that failing AO separator(s) shows up as smoking on startup.

OP, you mentioned your Macan doesn't smoke excessively. Does this mean it does smoke? Blue?
(we're not talkin' Galoises cigarettes here). Your Macan shouldn't be showing any colored exhaust - blue,
black, etc. Water vapor is OK as long as it's not billowing clouds of it (normal operation, not on startup).
Huge billowing clouds would be coolant getting into the combustion chamber(s) and converted to steam.

As advised above, this vehicle needs to get into a shop - pronto!

Good luck!

·
Registered
99 Posts
In addition, if there is white smoke that is caused by a coolant leak, it will have a strong, sweet smell of ethylene glycol. It is hard not to notice. But this clearly is not related to the OP's oil consumption problem. Yes, needs to go into a shop that has no conflict of interest in diagnosing the origin of this problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the seals are bad, this would be indicated by a properly run leak-down test.
Don't think so, because this tests if there are leaks when your valves are closed. So in the cilinder it self.
If the VALVE seals (rubbers around the valves under the valve springs) are leaking, the oil will run down the valves everytime it opens and end up in your cilinder.

·
Super Moderator
3,426 Posts
A leakdown test can be used to determine the following leaks:

intake valve - air whistling out of the intake or throttle body

exhaust valve - air hissing out of the tailpipe or turbo

rings - hissing or whistling out of the oil filler hole

head gasket (or cracked (cylinder) head) - bubbles in the engine coolant in the expansion tank

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any history as to why this vehicle was traded into the Jag dealership at seemingly low mileage? Lease return? Any chance this was a buy back car that found it's way into the Jag dealership?

·
Registered
2018 Macan S
118 Posts
Porsche has a long history of calling excessive oil consumption "normal." To put their numbers in perspective, Ford has been replacing 5 liter V8s in F-150s due to oil consumption. The threshold oil use to qualify for a brand new engine? Anything over 1 quart in 3000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my many years of high performance cars with turbos I have had one that the turbo seals went bad and had oil going directly into the exhaust. Now with all the emissions etc. there would be little or no smoke because the cat converter would burn it. take the exhaust pipes off at the turbos and check for oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am hoping to get some more insight into what is truly "normal" oil consumption on the Gen 1 Macan Turbo, as the used 2015 Model with 41,000 miles that I picked up in September has been going through one quart every 250 miles. I have had it to the Porsche dealer four times since buying it, and they claim they cannot find anything wrong with the car. They did a boroscope (said there is no bore scoring), found no leaks anywhere, found no blowby in the exhaust, recalibrated the oil measurement sensor, and did a complete oil change filling it to the brim each time I brought it in per Porsche's instructions.

Each time they would have me drive it after and log how many miles it took until the low oil light came on again. Every time it was between 250 and 300 miles. They would then drain the oil, measure how much had been burnt, and send me on my way again. Each time it would burn .8-1 full quart in that span of 250-300 miles.

The last time I had it to them, Porsche Corporate instructed for them to drive it themselves for the same span (300 miles). They put three hundred miles on and claimed it did not burn a drop. This dealership is located on a highway, and presumably a tech took it to and from work a few times. I live in the city, never have any highway driving on my commute, and drive stoplight to stoplight along my four mile commute to and from work in traffic. Porsche is claiming this is what is causing the consumption.

That being said, none of the other four cars I have owned while making this commute had/have excessive oil consumption. This includes my 997 Turbo.

Is this truly "normal" as Porsche is saying or am I being given the run around?
I agree with Fahrer- the leak down test gives good amount of information about the condition of the compression rings, cylinder walls and valves. On the other hand if the oil rings have a problem and bypass the oil to combustion chambers it will not show on the test results.
My advice: 1). Do the leak down test . Ask the shop to make a pictures of each of the spark plugs - the color may indicate the burning of oil 2). Drive 250 ml in gentle mode, trying not to exceed 3500-4000 RPM and check the oil consumption 3). Drive 250 ml your regular way and In performance mode using higher RPM and higher engine output.
If leak down test does not indicate any problems , compare oil consumption when driving with different styles. If engine burns much more oil in performance driving mode, it indicates piston rings problem which becomes more obvious when cylinder pressure is high. In this case most likely engine needs a major repair.
You may also try different synthetic oil- Amsoil , I had very good experience with it using it on different cars during many years, this oil has better additive package and may burn less.
The oil consumption problem may be a result of not proper engine brake in and not doing first oil change early enough. For this reason it’s better to buy a brand new car and brake it in by yourself ( of course cost more).
Please share your testing results with us.

·
Super Moderator
3,426 Posts
If the piston's oil control ring (or oil control ring failures on multiple pistons) isn't doing its job he'll see
considerable blue smoke in the exhaust. At the rate his Macan is going through oil, if it's going through
the combustion chamber, there'd be a lot of blue exhaust...

Although the dealer stated "no blow by in the exhaust"... (?)

The oil is going somewhere!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just came across this as I’m trying to research what’s going on with my brand new Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I have less than 3k miles now and I have now received the warning 2x to add up to 2.1q of oil. I just had this amount added less than 200-300 miles ago. I haven’t went back to the dealership to address this but I’m concerned! I do park outside and drive short distances - a mix of highway and street driving. Any advise?

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
....I have less than 3k miles now and I have now received the warning 2x to add up to 2.1q of oil. I just had this amount added less than 200-300 miles ago.....Any advise?
Sorry to hear about that. Something is terribly wrong with that rate of oil consumption.

Return the car to the dealership as soon as possible, and insist on a loaner car while they troubleshoot the issue.

Might be something as simple as an oil filter leak, or something far more serious.

If you get any pushback from the dealership, contact Porsche North America and open a complaint ticket with them immediately.

Best of luck getting it resolved.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Call & then go to the dealer ASAP!

·
Super Moderator
3,426 Posts
The OP (@azw131) originally posted this thread some 18 months ago.

He's not responding.

The original claim was that the Macan was losing oil at the rate of 1 qt/250 miles.

Although he was last seen in the forum 7 days ago, it would seem he has moved on from either this issue or the Macan in question.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
My 2018 Turbo with ~40k is going into the shop within the hour for new tires, a 4-wheel alignment and the DCT flush/fill. I can't tell you the last time I added oil. Do I abuse mine? No. Do I drive vigorously? Yep.

Losing oil at the rate you are there is definitely something very wrong. Try a different dealership.

·
Registered
218 Posts
To the original poster. another possible consideration is the high pressure fuel pumps. one located on each valve cover.
if these pumps leak, fuel will enter the engine, diluting the oil and cause an oil usage problem.
Have you had an oil analysis?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi all, I never diagnosed that issue with my Turbo. Porsche had one of their master techs tear the engine down. They did leak down, compression, checked turbos - they couldn’t find any reason it was burning oil like that. In the end the determination was that it was within “normal” range, given that I do almost all city driving. When I would go on long highway drives (300 miles each direction) it hardly burned any oil at all. I owned the car for another 5000+ miles after initially posting and didn’t experience any other strange issues with the engine - it just burnt a lot of oil. I have since sold it and replaced with a 2018 GTS. Interestingly, in the same driving conditions the GTS does not seem to burn much oil at all.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Some us us (me) were responding to 'Selbrown' post #33.

Re OP's (azw31) story. Too bad the dealer could not diagnose the actual problem, which obviously was NOT normal.

I hope you purchased your GTS from different dealer.

Reactions: SoCalS5
21 - 40 of 40 Posts