Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reviving an old thread here.

Does anyone know the paint code for Porsche Platinum Satin wheels? Dealer is telling me they can't have them powder coated that color since it's a factory exclusive?!

TIA.
it should be OB5 for platinum (satinmat), this is how it looks painted with OB5.. its a bit more matte than the original platinum satin from porsche, should be the same color but see if your shop can make it a bit glossier, mine is almost matte

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
it should be OB5 for platinum (satinmat), this is how it looks painted with OB5.. its a bit more matte than the original platinum satin from porsche, should be the same color but see if your shop can make it a bit glossier, mine is almost matte

Did you have those done aftermarket? What region are you in? Great looking Cayman S, those wheels look awesome with the white ext. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
My SA just told me to expect to pay around 2k...

That said, I will take delivery of my Macan with SD wheels... No paint... No 2k.... Love the wheels, but I just can't pay 2k... I'll try to find a reputable shop on my own.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am totally new to this, want something like a platinum satin on my 19" turbos on silver macan, not too picky about exact color, just a dark gray finish. What is best way to do this? Powder coat? Or, anodize? Anyone know what I can expect to pay in LA? Also, how long does it take? Do you just leave your car, or put temp wheels on it?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I am totally new to this, want something like a platinum satin on my 19" turbos on silver macan, not too picky about exact color, just a dark gray finish. What is best way to do this? Powder coat? Or, anodize? Anyone know what I can expect to pay in LA? Also, how long does it take? Do you just leave your car, or put temp wheels on it?
Call Wheel Enhancement in LA. They do this stuff all the time.

Reactions: tima7

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for the tip, they are about a mile from my office. Perfect.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had the wheels painted on my Cayman S by a shop my dealer uses for wheel work. I had it done when I took my car in for new tires. Best $600 I spent on a car. Guards Red Cayman with satin black wheels.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello All,

Newbie here.

I would like to thank each and every contributor of this forum that has made this the Macan Wiki + The only way I could kill the 4+ months of wait.

Having said that I just took delivery of my White Turbo last week and I am enjoying every bit of it.

I am from NJ. Can anyone recommend a proper place where I can get my 19" wheels painted / powder coated (whichever is recommended) to Platinum Satin.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
416 Posts
For anyone else who is totally new to this, Wheel Enhancement in LA will put on a powder coat for $800 + $120 for mount and balance. The process takes about 7-10 days. They will either give you loaner wheels, or paint new ones and swap. I guess doing the swap saves a mount and balance. Can this have any effect on warranty or resale value? Is there any reason to be concerned about the quality of the swaps?

In any case, they can't do anything yet for 19" Macan. They expect to have suitable cores in a week or 2.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Can anyone recommend a proper place where I can get my 19" wheels painted / powder coated (whichever is recommended) to Platinum Satin.
What are you hearing on paint versus powder coat? I had just assumed powder coat was better, so did not ask any questions. From what I read powder coat is more durable, but neither will stand up well to a curb, and paint is easier to touch up. If paint can be done in a day or 2, I could just rent a car, and not wait for wheels to swap. Need to get this new car business behind me, so I can think about something else!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Paint is better for the wheel. Powder coat heats up the rim, looses some of its strength. Voids warranty on many aftermarket rim brands.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Photoshop is even better! Here is rough idea of satin platinum finish on 19" turbos. Does it work? Or, should I go for different wheel style if I want to go dark?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
^^^ I like that look, but unsure if I like it more than stock. Maybe a satin black w the rhodium silver would work better? Such a personal choice.

My wheels are getting picked up tomorrow. A little nervous, as I've grown to like the bright alloy finish of the SD wheels more than I thought I would, but just going with what my heart was set on for the last month or so. @dingo54's finished wheels pretty much sold me.

Reactions: tima7

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for feedback. I agree black would be better. But for now I decided to stick with stock. Glad I did the photoshop and got some opinions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My local dealer here at Long Beach, CA is going to do it for $500. Cannot wait to get my wheels in satin finish, will post some pics later on.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
So quick update here. I had my wheels done this week, but the color didn't quite come out to my liking. A little bummed to say the least, the metal swatches looked really close to Porsche Plat Satin when held up to the wheel, but unfortunately when completed, they didn't look quite right. I used the same powder coating shop that the local P dealer uses for all their cars. Even a reputable shop in SoCal where my dealer referred me to (they do all their cars) said they can't get an exact match via powder coating. The Porsche dealerships seem to want to hold on tight to the color as an exclusive. I'm sure a paint shop could get a closer match with the color code, but alas, I chose to go with the dealer recommended shop. One of the reasons why I leave all my cars stock, ugh, lesson learned. :|

In any case, after looking at what seemed to be an endless array of gray tones, I ended up going with a black satin. A little nervous, as I was pretty set on Plat Satin esp after seeing @dingo54's pictures, but a white car/black wheel combo was the originally wanted. I was worried that if I picked a gray tone, I wouldn't be happy with it (too much blue or bronze, and so difficult IMO looking at small swatches), therefore went for my "safer" choice. Worse case scenario, I can have the wheels redone or just sell them.

I'll be sure to post some pictures, supposed to get them on the car tomorrow. It's been a long week not being able to drive it!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
In any case, after looking at what seemed to be an endless array of gray tones, I ended up going with a black satin.
Are you having wheels redone after an unsuccessful platinum satin color match?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
41 - 60 of 78 Posts