Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
‘21 Macan S / volcano grey / Mojave interior / 21” wheels
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my ‘21 Macan S in January. Finally took delivery in September! Got my ceramic coating, clear mask, window tint, radar detector installed. On 11/8, 1,200 miles later, an uninsured woman ran a red light and hit me. It’s sitting in a tow yard and I am heart broken. I don’t know if they’ll total it or fix it, but I’m so mad, and had to whine to people who’d understand!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Ordered my ‘21 Macan S in January. Finally took delivery in September! Got my ceramic coating, clear mask, window tint, radar detector installed. On 11/8, 1,200 miles later, an uninsured woman ran a red light and hit me. It’s sitting in a tow yard and I am heart broken. I don’t know if they’ll total it or fix it, but I’m so mad, and had to whine to people who’d understand!
View attachment 247958
That is not looking good. It appears structural damage occurred. I assume you have uninsured motorist coverage. As the car is so new you have to figure out how to get diminished value recovery, too. At least the airbags didn't go off.

· Registered
14,861 Posts
I feel your pain especially in the times of long waits and no cars . I was hit after 13K miles in 2016 and dumped the car immediately . Thats not the case now which is awful . I guess it means starting over . You may just have to figure out how to go about it .

· Registered
204 Posts
Sorry to hear about what happened to your Macan but here are my thoughts having been in a similar accident with an X5. From the picture, it doesn't look like the airbags deployed which is usually a good sign. Again from that single picture, I don't think that there is enough damage for the car to be totaled. Best course of action is to find and visit a good body shop so somebody can explain to you how they are going to fix it. Hope this helps.

· Registered
12 Posts
First post short time lurker considering purchasing a Macan. I intend to do exactly what you did immediately after purchase. I can't imagine the level of suck this has inflicted on your life. Bad time to lose a car, especially one that you waited for and loved.

One of the things I've been wondering is how much that super complicated fabricated hood would cost to replace. It seems to me a relatively minor fender bender could damage it.

· Registered
39 Posts
Beautiful car. It can be restored if no structural damage. Just had mine repaired after similar collision. If you do have it repaired be prepared for a wait on parts. I waited 2+ months for panels and some suspension parts from Germany. Look for certified Porsche body shops. I found one 2 hours from site of collision out of state.

Btw, hood panels cost $2k for factory part unpainted. Bumper is $800.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is not looking good. It appears structural damage occurred. I assume you have uninsured motorist coverage. As the car is so new you have to figure out how to get diminished value recovery, too. At least the airbags didn't go off.
I have great insurance. I’m already frustrated with the delays- tow company doesn’t have time to transfer to collision center. Collision center says even once they get it, it could be days or weeks before they even look at it.
so frustrated with the system. Uninsured offender has literally no assets and was issued three tickets at the scene. It’s all on me- diminished value, rental car after 30 days, deductible, etc. Not to mention the wait time and interim decisions I’ll need to make if I order a new one.Airbags didn’t deploy, but radiator is definitely damaged. This was the only photo I took - I was too distraught to take more. 😭

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First post short time lurker considering purchasing a Macan. I intend to do exactly what you did immediately after purchase. I can't imagine the level of suck this has inflicted on your life. Bad time to lose a car, especially one that you waited for and loved.

One of the things I've been wondering is how much that super complicated fabricated hood would cost to replace. It seems to me a relatively minor fender bender could damage it.
The level of suck is huge. 😢

· Registered
4,096 Posts
Get a lawyer and sue for "Diminished Value". Reason? If they can fix it and you decide to sell in a year or two, you will take a substantial hit because of the faulty driver. And, sorry about your Porsche. I got ran into a curb yesterday by a butthole who decided to brake check me AFTER he cut in front of me. In a big hurry.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 72 year old woman who hit me lives in a 1968 single wide trailer, valued at $5k. She’s uninsured, car unregistered, and has more collections and judgments on public record than I can count. Is it really worth it to get an attorney? They won’t garnish social security….

· Registered
2017 Macan Turbo
46 Posts
Very sorry to hear of the accident. If there's a question about diminished value I'd recommend contacting Jim Marshall at (704) 327-3538 or [email protected]. He was great when I dealt with him and I'm sure he would give you some insight given your circumstances without charging you for a diminished value appraisal first. I'm pretty sure he used to work for an insurance company before starting his own business.

In my very limited research, getting diminished value doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility given info on a couple websites:
  • "Diminished value and uninsured motorists - If you are in an accident with an uninsured driver, you’re also going to have a hard time successfully filing a diminished value claim. However, if you have uninsured motorist coverage, you may be able to do so. It’s not a guarantee, but it is possible." (source: https://www.coverage.com/insurance/auto/diminished-value-claim/)
  • "If the other driver is uninsured, you may need optional uninsured motorist coverage to file a successful claim." (source: Diminished Value Claims Explained | Bankrate)
Good luck working through this. The cool thing I like about this forum is sharing info and learning from others, so if there's anything noteworthy that comes out of this uninsured motorist nightmare please let us know.

Reactions: 95B3.6

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhh! Thank you! I was told by the claim representative that DV is not available as a first party claimant, but I suppose that’s the answer they give the first time anyone asks. I’ll research, press further, and report my results!

· Banned
1,130 Posts
Ahhh! Thank you! I was told by the claim representative that DV is not available as a first party claimant, but I suppose that’s the answer they give the first time anyone asks. I’ll research, press further, and report my results!
Insurance companies are not in the business of paying out money. They'll do everything they can to avoid it, which is, sadly, why you may need an attorney, even when dealing with your own insurance company.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
The 72 year old woman who hit me lives in a 1968 single wide trailer, valued at $5k. She’s uninsured, car unregistered, and has more collections and judgments on public record than I can count. Is it really worth it to get an attorney? They won’t garnish social security….
Can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. And attorneys don't work for free.Only practical reason to hire an attorney is if your insurance doesn't do right by you with your uninsured motorist coverage.

Very sorry to see this.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For those interested in an update…
Car has been moved from scene>tow yard>wrong collision company (not Porsche certified) to another location for the same collision co that turns out is also not Porsche certified. In fact, there isn’t a Porsche certified shop in the state and it will need to go to SLC, PDX or Las Vegas, and 2 certified techs have to review and agree on repairs etc. It took 10 days to get to this point, and here’s the cherry on top- one of the 3 towing companies crammed my bumper into the BACK SEAT and destroyed the interior of my car. I have no words.
Leg Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

1 - 20 of 27 Posts