Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
I have never had good service from Pirelli tires. My independant Porsche service shop said Michelin is the only way to go. Had Pirellis on my new Macan and they lasted 20,000. Had the tires road force balanced and an alignment at 1,000. New Michelins on 10,000 ago and they are still perfect.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never had good service from Pirelli tires. My independant Porsche service shop said Michelin is the only way to go. Had Pirellis on my new Macan and they lasted 20,000. Had the tires road force balanced and an alignment at 1,000. New Michelins on 10,000 ago and they are still perfect.
Thanks. That is my thought as well. I will shell out the extra $400 and pick up the OE Michelins.

· Premium Member
234 Posts
We're on our second set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's. For an all season tire they are decent. I would prefer a stiffer sidewall, but if I'm stressing the sidewall I'm probably driving it a bit harder than needed.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately no Contis avail for ‘23 GTS. I have used them before and they were prob the stickiest A/S tires and good for snow etc but the sidewalls were indeed very weak (I blew one out when it was still very new).

· Registered
1,059 Posts
I have the Scorpion Zeros. They are so much better than the OE Michelin Latitudes that I replaced them with. They're quieter and grippier. And I'm generally not a Pirelli fan having punted P-Zeros off of my Audi for Michelin Pilot Sports.

· Registered
2023 Macan T PPCZXKU2
85 Posts
Pirelli's generally don't care about longevity. All about performance. Premature irregular wear and as they wear they become noisey. So they might be 10's for performance but 6 for durability and wet performance and they don't care. Michelin is generally your all purpose tire. 8 out of 10 for everything.

· Registered
4,476 Posts
Pirelli's generally don't care about longevity. All about performance. Premature irregular wear and as they wear they become noisey. So they might be 10's for performance but 6 for durability and wet performance and they don't care. Michelin is generally your all purpose tire. 8 out of 10 for everything.
Had Pirellis original on my wife’s Mercedes and they are very good. Great traction and very quiet. I am actually getting a new set of Pirelli snow tires for her car tomorrow.

· Registered
2023 Macan T PPCZXKU2
85 Posts
I should also add that my 2023 T came with A/S Scorpions. Was hoping for Michelins. Of all the optional equipment you can order it is still puzzling how you can’t choose tires. You get what you get and you will like them.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So here's what I discovered about Pirelli Scorpion Zeros. They are much heavier than the Porsche approved N tires (Scorpion Verde or Michelin P/S), like 10-20% heavier per tire. Since Verdes are what I am trying to replace, I am only left with the Michelins as an option.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should also add that my 2023 T came with A/S Scorpions. Was hoping for Michelins. Of all the optional equipment you can order it is still puzzling how you can’t choose tires. You get what you get and you will like them.
I hear you. I was hoping for the same and am now dropping almost 2k to put on new shoes lol (maybe 1k if I can sell the Scorpions).

· Registered
4,476 Posts
winter tires a different story.
You missed my point. Car came with original Pirelli AS tires. I am on the second set of those and they have been fantastic. Winter tires are my extra set.

· Registered
4,476 Posts
Car manufacturers work with several tire brands and they all supply to them at the same time what is under their spec. My understanding is when building a car they just grab what is available at that point in time. It would be nice to be able to pick and choose but since they would not make any money by managing your choice they will not do it. First come, first serve type of thing.

· Registered
64 Posts
People generalize too much when it comes to tire brands, swearing off an entire brand based on the experience of a single tire model from that brand. I am a big fan of Michelin tires, but they have some duds too, including some of their newer SUV tires (Premier LTX as one example). It's hard to compare a general market tire to a OE fitment version too, as the OE can require changes to the tire for their version that you may or may not even see, longevity/treadlife rarely being one of the main performance targets for obvious reasons. Porsche, according to Pirelli, generally favors dry handling, braking and rolling resistance as targets to improve on the N0 version over the mass market version of the tire.

The Pirelli Scorpion Zero is not the same as the Verde All Season that are the OE factory fitment, and the Scorpion Zeros are highly regarded and rated based on what I have seen on this forum and others. As one noted, they are a few pounds heavier than the OE fitments, but that is the only negative I can see.

· Registered
2016 Porsche Macan S
9 Posts
Just picked up the Scorpions on my 21" Savini's... its only been 3 days...no complaints so far!

· Registered
453 Posts
I replaced my 21” OEM tires with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero Plus AS in February 2021 and they’ve been great. I know most on this forum prefer the summer / winter dedicated tires but the AS work fine for me In the Seattle area And with the type of driving I do I have not seen any drop off in performance or handling.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
People generalize too much when it comes to tire brands, swearing off an entire brand based on the experience of a single tire model from that brand.
Thank you!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts