Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I don't have either the option or pics but based on your other posts re: $ vs use ; I would think that you might wind up spending money on something that is truly difficult to appreciate .

I have leather and I assume the finish and look of said options look like the finish and look of the steering wheel or dash ect . ... I'm sitting in my car looking at the standard mirror and steering column and they already look like leather and unless I study them hard to see.

Your money your car bu,t ya might want to put that money to better use or keep it in your wallet .

Jus say'in :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
For the steering column casing in leather, perhaps @addicted is the best one to answer that question.

For me, the most compelling reason to get leather on the steering column and mirror would be for the deviated stitching that comes on the two tone interiors. Given that your interior is all black, I think the aesthetic value of the added leather is minimal.
But if it still appeals to you once you see some pictures, and it's within your budget, then by all means consider getting it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the leather column and it adds pretty cool stitching but it's not something you notice very often due to where it is. Your passenger might notice it but only when it's a contrasting stitching like red on black which is what I have. Since it looks like you're not doing an interior with non black leather I would strongly advise against getting the column and the rear-view in leather. Instead doing the extended dash in leather is likely to give you a more premium feel as it adds leather to a plastic area that is visible at all times and to both passenger and driver.

I'll take a few pictures of the leather bits when I have a chance so you see it with deviating stitching in red. As I mentioned in another thread, if I was going with a black interior I would opt out from probably every leather option I got as it makes little to no difference in how the car looks or feels. The stitching in red (or anything that's not black) is what makes those options worth it IMO.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for helping me out, @addicted please post som pictures if You can, I appreciate that. If I order extended dash in leather I have to order full leather package and I don't want that option.
Here are two, not the highest quality images but you get the idea. As you can see, this would be nearly indistinguishable from the stock column if not for the red stitching which even then is barely noticed. There are definitely other leather options that I would prioritize over the column or the rear view mirror, in fact I specifically opted out of the rear view leather because it's odd looking to put leather anywhere up above the dash IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Below are some photos I found of an Agate interior with the steering column in leather. The owner did think it was for the better because the column would be black plastic and much different. The one picture does somewhat show the Mirror in leather, he did not think it was as needed.

The leather cover still leaves some bits not covered and black showing. You don't see it from the front but do from the side.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
For comparison pictures below show the column without leather for an Espresso interior, one may be Agate or Saddle. I noticed this black column in with the brown leather as odd looking and that's why I was going to buy the leather cover for the column. But it is black next to the black gauge cluster above it, so not a total sore thumb. To me the column black is a different black, more like dark grey.

The $760 does seem like a lot for a small amount of leather. My prior post shows some bits still not covered, which I don't like for $760. I still have it on my order and will probably keep it because I have Espresso. With a P car I know many choices are not a good value.

Pics also show Aluminium trim versus CF with brown-ish leather.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
While I'm covering this from A to Z I'll post pictures from the Macan brochure page 133 that shows the Mirror and Antenna box it hangs from covered in leather. I think normally the box is black plastic and the mirror is plastic that's colored like the interior.

Page 133 also has picture of column in leather. IMO the lighting and camera angel hide what is shown in my prior pics, that there is a good amount of black right next to the leather. It also looks a little nicer (i.e. perfect) as you would for an advertising photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Here are two, not the highest quality images but you get the idea. As you can see, this would be nearly indistinguishable from the stock column if not for the red stitching which even then is barely noticed. There are definitely other leather options that I would prioritize over the column or the rear view mirror, in fact I specifically opted out of the rear view leather because it's odd looking to put leather anywhere up above the dash IMO.
I'll take the dissenting opinion.

You can see from my signature how much optional leather I have with a black interior, and I think all the elements tie together into a far richer looking interior. I've received unsolicited positive feedback from a number of other Macan owners without even having pointed the leather options my Macan has. The usual comment is that it's one of the most beautiful automobile interiors they have seen, and they don't immediately recognize how much of it has to do with the extra leather.

Because of the color, pictures don't do it justice, but when you see it in daylight in person, you really start to appreciate it.

My 996 also has a significant amount of black optional leather, and I've had the same type of reactions from other 911 owners.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have both of these options with black leather and grey stitching. Basically I took all the extended leather options as i wanted to see as little plastic as possible.

To be honest, I don’t really notice this stuff anymore. It looks great, but I don’t sit down every day and think “Wow! I love my chrono wrapped in leather with deviated stitching!” So there are certainly better places to spend your cash.

With that said.... my best friend has an almost identical build Macan to mine but he opted to save money on the extended leather options and spend elsewhere..... everytime I get into his car I think “wow, that’s a lot of plastic”

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For those that have multiple leather option I would be interested in you ranking what you like from best to worst?

The costs are high ($8000+ total) so I would be unlikely to pick many. So of you would give a kind of cost/benefit comment of these?
$760 Steering Column
$1800 Dashboard
$2230 Air Vents
$680 Rear-View Mirror
$2330 Seat Console
$750 Sun Visors

The one I would be most likely to get would be the Dashboard as it seems visible and touchable. I am concerned about it being baked in the sun. I think the front edge of my dash will be leather. If someone has some pictures that would help. I am unclear on what is exactly is included. The website says "Dashboard end trim, Dashboard upper section center air vents, Center dashboard trim" but without pics its just a guess.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
For those that have multiple leather option I would be interested in you ranking what you like from best to worst?

The costs are high ($8000+ total) so I would be unlikely to pick many. So of you would give a kind of cost/benefit comment of these?
$760 Steering Column
$1800 Dashboard
$2230 Air Vents
$680 Rear-View Mirror
$2330 Seat Console
$750 Sun Visors

The one I would be most likely to get would be the Dashboard as it seems visible and touchable. I am concerned about it being baked in the sun. I think the front edge of my dash will be leather. If someone has some pictures that would help. I am unclear on what is exactly is included. The website says "Dashboard end trim, Dashboard upper section center air vents, Center dashboard trim" but without pics its just a guess.
I have all of this except my vents are painted Sapphire Blue, my exterior color. I'll try to take some pics over the weekend when it's light out.

I agree on the dashboard, and have the same concern too, so I've used leather protectant on pretty much all the leather. And during the warmer months I use a windshield sun shade, although I use them on all my cars.

Hopefully Vandit will chime in. Pretty sure he has all these options including the vents.

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
...The one I would be most likely to get would be the Dashboard as it seems visible and touchable.....
If you are referring to the extended leather dashboard trim, the additional leather you get with that option is the top dash vent piece that surrounds the clock/chrono (see pic below); and the end caps of the dash which you cannot see unless the door is open.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
If you are referring to the extended leather dashboard trim, the additional leather you get with that option is the top dash vent piece that surrounds the clock/chrono (see pic below); and the end caps of the dash which you cannot see unless the door is open.
Hope that helps.

In my car the entire top of the dashboard is also leather, including the surfaces that surround the vent piece that you included the picture of (including, for example, the passenger side airbag cover that sits on top of the dashboard) all the way out toward the windshield glass, but not including the final trim piece that is against the glass (that the Burmester speakers are on the outboard ends of, I assume with the Bose option the speakers are in the same location?)

I always assumed that this was also part of the extended leather option. Am I incorrect?

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
In my car the entire top of the dashboard is also leather.....but not including the final trim piece that is against the glass....

I always assumed that this was also part of the extended leather option. Am I incorrect?
That's a great question, and I believe you are correct that the narrow trim piece adjacent to the glass is also covered in leather with the extended dashboard leather package. I couldn't find any examples on a Macan, but there are similar examples for that option on the 911. That would make the extended dash leather trim option more attractive to me, especially if deviated stitching was included. Perhaps someone here with that option can confirm?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/873002-gts-pts-czw-extended-dashboard-leather-reflections.html

1 - 20 of 35 Posts