Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found these pictures on another Macan forum. A member posted pictures of his rear view camera, which is absolutely horrendous, prompting other members to start posting pictures of their own rear view cameras - there definitely seems to be vast differences in picture quality. The first two pictures below show the horrible quality one (the camera was NOT dirty, wet, foggy, etc), the third and fourth seem to be the average/norm:

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a "normal" camera and I have to say: 1. The "fisheye" lens does not help with judging distance/proportion, only if there's an object behind you, 2. This must be Porsche's biggest option profit by percent, 3. I hope Porsche does a recall on the camera and replaces it with something that befits a 2015 vehicle.

As long as I'm complaining, rotating the vehicle 90 degrees for the active sensor without camera -- stupid.

I do like that that front sensors automatically turn on while parking.

Maybe I should have gotten the sensors without the cam.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does the camera lens have any focus adjustment ability, either by end user or by the dealer? Seems like it's just out of focus.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The issue I have with mine is the running horizontal stripes that sometimes appear - reminds me of a bad analog TV reception.
But I don't think Porsche cares much about the rear view camera picture quality either.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Cmon.

Your not serious.

These are all terrible. You need to take it back and insist that they fix it.

These are worse than terrible, they are total crap.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Just to clarified that mine looks like #3 and #4 .
Crap. Bad. Take it back. Really. I like Porsche but that is a disgrace.

Its a camera, not brain surgery. I said over and over again that Porsche lags in electronics and this is just another example of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Crap. Bad. Take it back. Really. I like Porsche but that is a disgrace.
Which cars have better quality rear view cameras?

I've seen quite a few of these implementations on recent cars, and none of them look that great. I'd say they're about the same as pic 3 and 4.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Crystal Clear

Woah, those backup camera images in the first post are horrible.

My car needs a wash, so you can see the tiny little dirty spots on the lens, but overall, this is the kind of image you SHOULD be getting.

I have no complaints with the backup camera quality, perhaps they have different suppliers? QA issue?

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Which cars have better quality rear view cameras?

I've seen quite a few of these implementations on recent cars, and none of them look that great. I'd say they're about the same as pic 3 and 4.
I think @snowbro just answered that,

The original 4 pictures are out of focus.

I wasn't talking about resolutions (e.g, HD) but focus. Focus is a nobrainer. If the lens isn't focused, its mush and those pictures are clearly OOF (Out Of Focus).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think @snowbro just answered that,
Notice the difference that lighting makes. snowbro's pictures were taken outside in daylight. The pictures in the first post were taken in what looks to be an underground garage. Poor lighting makes a lot of difference in these little cameras.

The original 4 pictures are out of focus.

I wasn't talking about resolutions (e.g, HD) but focus. Focus is a nobrainer. If the lens isn't focused, its mush and those pictures are clearly OOF (Out Of Focus).
That's what I was saying, too, although the last two pictures aren't as bad as the first two.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
All 4 of the Macan cameras I have seen were the same or better than @snowbro 's look. Actually, now that I think about it, I have seen 5 now, not 4.

Those first ones are absurd. Either the dealer didn't check, or just didn't care during the preinspection. I would personally walk away from a car with images that bad, and not accept it.

(And what I mean by that is I would put in writing that if they were unable to repair the camera, they would have to buy it back...)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Found these pictures on another Macan forum. A member posted pictures of his rear view camera, which is absolutely horrendous, prompting other members to start posting pictures of their own rear view cameras - there definitely seems to be vast differences in picture quality. The first two pictures below show the horrible quality one (the camera was NOT dirty, wet, foggy, etc), the third and fourth seem to be the average/norm:
I'm not sure the camera worked effectively in the third shot, it looks like they've just reversed over somebody!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Woah, those backup camera images in the first post are horrible.

My car needs a wash, so you can see the tiny little dirty spots on the lens, but overall, this is the kind of image you SHOULD be getting.

I have no complaints with the backup camera quality, perhaps they have different suppliers? QA issue?
I am with snowbro, I get the same quality focus/image as him, those first pics by the OP look out of focus, or could it be glare from lots of light both above ground and the shiny floor with it bouncing off the cars as well? It is underground after all and a picture of a picture in effect.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Here are my rear camera photos, I personally think it looks like crap and I already complained today to the Service Advisor. I had my car in service the other week and I asked them to check the camera and at that time they claimed is Normal... :(

The light was somehow poor but it doesn't look any better in the middle of the day either. And yes, I have the horizontal lines as well, simply crap.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
The backup camera on my Macan has a much wider field of view than the side mirrors....It is essentially a fisheye lens. I think that is why things look out of focus. I would love to swap mine out for one with less field of view and infinite focus, or at least a deeper focal range.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts