Porsche Macan Forum banner

Would you be interested in an aftermarket intercooler kit?

• Absolutely! If it's a high quality kit, I'm definitely interested

• Maybe, especially if the pricing is roughly the exact same that AMS had offered.

• Maybe, but only if pricing is significantly lower than what AMS had offered.

• No way! This endeavor is a complete waste of time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so at the moment this is very hypothetical but nonetheless wanted to get the Macan community's opinion/level of interest on Intercooler kits.

We all know AMS made one, and no longer produce them... I get requests for those unicorns all the time.

I have one of those ultra rare kits... and I had an idea...

What if I used the AMS kit as a model to produce more? Now, they wouldn't be exactly the same, but I can imagine we could get close - so interested parties could simply order one as opposed to waiting for one to magically pop up for sale.

The purpose of this post is to simply gauge interest. If there is enough demand, I will investigate further. I imagine AMS stopped producing the kits for a true business reason (lack of demand / too low volume to justify costs, low margins, etc). I can't do this if the business risk is too high - but for sure I've been thinking it may at very least be worth investigating.

Thoughts?

·
Vendor
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

Diving deeper into this project…

This is a very long shot, but does anyone have a kit that is sitting around, waiting for installation? I’d like to loan the pipes for a couple weeks if possible just so we can continue to make this happen. You’ll get them back in new condition, I promise!

·
Vendor
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another update: I had a good meeting with the fabricator. He is confident that we will be able to develop a kit that is custom fit, using my Macan as the test dummy. He'd rather start from scratch with the piping and ductwork, using either the exat same Garrett Cores, or a different brand but same size core.

Development costs will be high. Parts themselves are not cheap. Way too high just to produce one or two kits. That said, I'd like to structure a "Group Buy" so I can go to him and say " go ahead and produce all of these at once" to bring total costs per unit down.

Targeting a similar price point to the AMS kit for now (Figure ~$3,000 delivered).

That said, feel free to jot down your name on the list (reply to this thread if interested). Certainly no obligation at this point, but I'd really like to be able to get back to the fabricator with an idea of how many he will need to produce.

·
Vendor
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: on the books for prototype development 3 weeks from now. Ordering a few Garrett cores to test.

Investigating two options:

1.) Drop-in solution - larger cores, utilizing the OEM Porsche piping. More cost effective, and easier install.

2.) The full shebang with custom piping. It’s possible that the drop-in ICs are the better option considering cost relative to performance. Will know more im a few weeks :)

·
Vendor
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prototype coming Friday... Stay tuned!

·
Vendor
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bigger is better… right?

Stock

Upgraded Core:

Its wider, taller, and deeper. About 50% larger than the stock unit, and about 17% larger than the AMS one. It’s going to be a tight squeeze, but it’ll fit.

Looking through it all, drop-in kit is the way to go. Custom piping would be nice, but there are a lot of bottlenecks along the way that even the AMS kit didn’t 100% resolve. The costs of doing so, far outweigh the benefit. Not to mention, the drop-in kit should make for a very easy install.

This will take a touch longer to do correctly. Going off to the engineer to 3D print a mock up of end tanks for us to test fit. We’re also likely to design new carbon fiber shrouds to properly channel air to this bad boy.

More to come, but I’m very excited.

·
Premium Member
2015 Macan Turbo - Sapphire Blue
209 Posts
Bigger is better… right?

Stock

Upgraded Core:

Its wider, taller, and deeper. About 50% larger than the stock unit, and about 17% larger than the AMS one. It’s going to be a tight squeeze, but it’ll fit.

Looking through it all, drop-in kit is the way to go. Custom piping would be nice, but there are a lot of bottlenecks along the way that even the AMS kit didn’t 100% resolve. The costs of doing so, far outweigh the benefit. Not to mention, the drop-in kit should make for a very easy install.

This will take a touch longer to do correctly. Going off to the engineer to 3D print a mock up of end tanks for us to test fit. We’re also likely to design new carbon fiber shrouds to properly channel air to this bad boy.

More to come, but I’m very excited.
The new ICs are massive. Nice work 👏🏿

1 - 11 of 11 Posts