Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at CPO Turbos w Perf Pack. I have a Cobb tune for my Turbo, but wondering if anyone has had or driven both to compare. I assume you wouldn’t Cobb the PP, as it’s a Turbo tuned from the factory. So anyone have any insight to how they drive in comparison to each other?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
There's no need to compare if you're seriously looking at the CPO PP. I would take the PP every time. You pay for it once and reap the benefit for the next how-many-years it takes for the CPO to expire. Factory tuned and CPO warranty make it a "It's a no brainer". Well worth the added price. There's no way a Cobb can compare to a PP. This is from a happy owner of three current Cobbed Porsches.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I'm looking at a CPO 2018 Turbo with PP and PCCBs. Has every option I want, except color. Has 5 years of warranty left with CPO. I love my Turbo with Cobb, just wished it was smoother. Figure the PP will be smooth since it's from the factory

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have driven both. The Cobb off-the-shelf tune feels like it has more guts at lower RPMs, whereas they felt more or less identical at higher rpm’s.

Guess you need to look at the difference in cost between a CPO PP and a CPO turbo versus the cost of the Cobb and the potential for a warranty problem. When I bought my CPO Turbo there were no CPO PP’s to consider.

My thinking is that the chances for a warranty issue are remote because I rarely push the car that hard. But I have to admit that the potential cost of a major engine repair is scary. If I tended to push the engine hard and often, admittedly it would probably change my thinking.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have driven both. The Cobb off-the-shelf tune feels like it has more guts at lower RPMs, whereas they felt more or less identical at higher rpm’s.

Guess you need to look at the difference in cost between a CPO PP and a CPO turbo versus the cost of the Cobb and the potential for a warranty problem. When I bought my CPO Turbo there were no CPO PP’s to consider.

My thinking is that the chances for a warranty issue are remote because I rarely push the car that hard. But I have to admit that the potential cost of a major engine repair is scary. If I tended to push the engine hard and often, admittedly it would probably change my thinking.

I have a Turbo with Cobb already. Has 40k miles, so not a whole lot of warranty left. I drive my Turbo like I stole it, so I push it hard and often.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The driveability issue in sport mode obviously annoys you enough for you to look at the PP. It has been 3 years and this issue is still unresolved so why wait if it annoys you so much? I have to say the Macan implementation is the least satisfied I've experienced with Cobb.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Tuned Turbo PP

well, I'm looking at a CPO 2018 Turbo with PP and PCCBs. Has every option I want, except color. Has 5 years of warranty left with CPO. I love my Turbo with Cobb, just wished it was smoother. Figure the PP will be smooth since it's from the factory

My Turbo PP was tuned by Cobb at their hq in Austin, Texas back in November (and I was handsomely rewarded) so I was their test Macan for this model. They already had the software but didn't have a Macan to check it out. All went well and now I have 502 hp and 557 tq.. They now have a map for the PP which may not be listed on their web site yet. You may have to call and ask. It's very smooth through all gears and will slam me back in the seat (broke rear traction with traction control on) if I put my foot into it. I made a thread with this info and attached the dyno results back in November.

I mentioned to you in another thread that if you found a car with the options you wanted, which you did, that a wrap could take care of the color. :|

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

My Turbo PP was tuned by Cobb at their hq in Austin, Texas back in November (and I was handsomely rewarded) so I was their test Macan for this model. They already had the software but didn't have a Macan to check it out. All went well and now I have 502 hp and 557 tq. It's very smooth through all gears and will slam me back in the seat (broke rear traction with traction control on) if I put my foot into it. I made a thread with this info and attached the dyno results back in November.

I mentioned to you in another thread that if you found a car with the options you wanted that a wrap could take care of the color. /forum/images/MacanForum/smilies/tango_face_plain.png
Yep! Already checked into a few local companies for wraps. Would ideally want Carmine Red or graphite Blue

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
FWIW, I keep seeing forum posts from Macan owners about drivability issues with their Cobb installations.
Various solutions are put forth and some people are satisfied, while others are not.

I do not see forum Macan owners posting drivability issues with their factory-tuned vehicles.

There's also the warranty coverage issue to consider.

Weigh the facts, then make your decision.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yep! Already checked into a few local companies for wraps. Would ideally want Carmine Red or graphite Blue

I do get a lot of comments with the red and the turbo exterior package just finishes the outside off by making all other exterior parts gloss black along with the black wheel inserts, sport mirrors, tinted front and rear lights, body color rear spoiler and PSE.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Since Porsche is no longer making the current Turbo PP you are at the mercy of finding a CPO which has what you want . You also want a specific car . You are not the same type of buyer who walks onto a lot and just picks a car nor are you ready to make compromises . I dont blame you because both the Turbo and the PP are the flagship vehicles . You need to have it right.

Comparing a tuned car to stock is apples to oranges . there are no limits to what one can do with mods . i have seen modded Civics and 1980's Supras which have paint falling off them that are so modded they can wipe a Macan turbo .

It sounds like what you really want is a fast , great handling car . Sadly a Macan in general is a compromise and to make further concessions and spend nearly 100K makes no sense .

Every time i read these posts I feel like what you really want is a 911 turbo S with extra space .
That's where I'd be if i wanted performance . I would be evaluating how to give up or manage space issues .

Whatever you get .. good luck. If you end just holding your car .. then you still win . You kept the savings , Hang in there . these cars are surely addictive.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since Porsche is no longer making the current Turbo PP you are at the mercy of finding a CPO which has what you want . You also want a specific car . You are not the same type of buyer who walks onto a lot and just picks a car nor are you ready to make compromises . I dont blame you because both the Turbo and the PP are the flagship vehicles . You need to have it right.

Comparing a tuned car to stock is apples to oranges . there are no limits to what one can do with mods . i have seen modded Civics and 1980's Supras which have paint falling off them that are so modded they can wipe a Macan turbo .

It sounds like what you really want is a fast , great handling car . Sadly a Macan in general is a compromise and to make further concessions and spend nearly 100K makes no sense .

Every time i read these posts I feel like what you really want is a 911 turbo S with extra space .
That's where I'd be if i wanted performance . I would be evaluating how to give up or manage space issues .

Whatever you get .. good luck. If you end just holding your car .. then you still win . You kept the savings , Hang in there . these cars are surely addictive.
Thx Larry. I want a Macan Turbo. It handles great and is fast enough with Cobb tune for me. Not really interested in a 911. I like the hatch and utility of an SUV, and a tow hitch for my bike. A PP Turbo does intrigue me, and if I can score the right one it’s a win/win. The next facelifted Turbo isn’t too far off and 440 hp. Either way, I still win. Still love my Turbo, and will be happy to keep it and wait.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Thx Larry. I want a Macan Turbo. It handles great and is fast enough with Cobb tune for me. Not really interested in a 911. I like the hatch and utility of an SUV, and a tow hitch for my bike. A PP Turbo does intrigue me, and if I can score the right one it’s a win/win. The next facelifted Turbo isn’t too far off and 440 hp. Either way, I still win. Still love my Turbo, and will be happy to keep it and wait.
At this point that is what I would do . It wont be long before the cars arrive . Maybe i just can't wrap my head around a Macan being a serious performance vehicle . It's quite an SUV with nice performance perks but that is really all it could ever be to me ,

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At this point that is what I would do . It wont be long before the cars arrive . Maybe i just can't wrap my head around a Macan being a serious performance vehicle . It's quite an SUV with nice performance perks but that is really all it could ever be to me ,
Agree. With the new Turbo’s having the same HP as the PP, I’ll prob wait. Want the bigger pcm screen

·
Registered
113 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
18 Participants
muhney
Porsche Macan Forum
Thank you for your interest in MacanForum.com. We’re a forum community dedicated to Porsche Macan SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, specs, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing