Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my Pedal Commander from Flat6 today. Install was easy but cramped. Threaded the cable out under the steering column and velcroed the holder just below and to the right of the column. Syncing to the app was fast.

The results are extremely satisfying. The range of pedal sensitivity available is large and changes to settings are quick. On my Cobb tuned Macan S, I found the best setting for me is Sport and then add three. In that setting I needed no more than two inches of pedal movement to get to full throttle. Felt the same in Macan sport mode. My feet are size 9 and with my heel anchored on the floor and with arthritic ankles I don’t like using a lot of range. The pickup was mostly instant and drivability seemed improved with the PDK downshifting quicker on acceleration. The roads were wet so I mostly tested the settings from 0 to 50 on local hilly roads. My wife has been driving the car, I’m sure in a relaxed fashion, the whole week and I’m going to have to retrain the PDK this weekend to get the full feel. So far, to me, this mod yields a very high return in both absolute terms and per cost. I’m going to have to remember to turn it off after each use lest my wife takes out our garage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. I’m glad that you see the difference. I was a little skeptical about this. Hope to see more feedback from other members.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
2 inches full throttle? How many inches is the complete pedal travel to the floor I wonder.

The seller of this gave everyone a great price for sure. I got mine yesterday. Super fast shipping also. I was very surprised, in a good way, how small it actually is.

I'll be using mine on my Ford F150 which has bad throttle lag. Unfortunately, from most of the reviews I've watched on YouTube, it doesn't get rid of that initial tip-in lag which is what I really am looking to fix. We shall see.

I'll probably tackle the install tomorrow.

As for cramped, indeed. I changed the pedals on my former Macan and that was tough lying down in the footwell. I have great respect for plumbers who work under sinks, etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I drove an Audi S6 with a Pedal Commander. Very quick response. Almost too sensitive to the point of being unsafe. I guess it all depends on how it is set up and programmed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went into the Macan this morning and the the Pedal Commander in the cradle was hanging. The Velcro backing seems real sticky and I cleaned the surface with the towelette provided. I had it on the textured material. Tonight I will try sticking it a little lower on the smooth plastic.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I'm having difficulty separating the OEM connector from the pedal. I'm having trouble identifying the release tab and don't want to break anything. Can anyone offer me a hint? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I finally figured out a few minutes ago after several attempts. Like Jon, I am a pretty big guy with big shoulders and had trouble getting in there. Plus I think the wiring harness on my car may be shorter than most. I could never see the red tab, and I was almost ready to tell Jon that my car didn’t have a red tab. But I finally finally felt upwards for it, and figured it out even though I was never able to see it. PaulW, thanks for the p.m.

Hopefully I will have the Pedal Commander installed and ready for testing shortly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Installed mine today in Macan S with a piggyback (rennchip). I was always bothered by the hesitation and lack of response at low revs. Well this thing fixed all that. It’s like driving a new car. Response is instant. Like others said, it’s a little tight trying to install but not that bad and worth the effort. Just wondering why Porsche doesn’t program the car like this from the factory. I think this is the best mod for the price. Highly recommend. You won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just installed mine as well. I used a torx screwdriver, which required not a small amount of effort, especially when reinstalling it... use a wrench if you can. The most difficult part for me was the reinstall and getting the pedal lined up again properly.

After the install, however, the eco button on the control unit doesn't light up. Is this normal? I can access eco mode on the bt app, but wondering if the this is a bug or a feature on the control unit.

Criticisms: The control unit cable is too short! it's barely long enough to reach the back of the steering wheel and I can't hide it under my seat or between the seat and the console, which is rather annoying. I'd hate to use it during spirited driving and just drop it on the floor and have it get tangled up in my feet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I installed my PC last night. First impressions are a bit meh so far. Yes, it's more responsive, maybe I just need to get adjusted to it. I routed mine under and placed it in the space below the steering column. With the app I don't see a need to ever need to access it regularly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Modified review:

A. The cable is actually longer than I thought, it's enough to loop the control unit over the left side of the steering wheel column and hang over the right side, which makes it rather convenient for changing settings more quickly than with bt; besides, usually either waze or music app is on the phone so it's a pain to switch rapidly on the app.

B. You cannot access ECO mode from the control unit: it starts from City, then to Sport and Sport+. If you click the power/star button once more then it goes to default Macan pedal response, and none of the indicators are lit.

C. ECO mode can only be accessed through the bt app, and the response is definitely slower than the default Macan pedal response. Once you set it thru the app, the ECO button will get lit. This is like a Valet/Kids mode. Haven't tried out to see if it would save any gas. Probably would I think.

D. Tested the various performance modes on the freeway traveling around 70-75 mph... essentially the modes break down this way.

Same small tap on the throttle in:
default Macan : 0 boost
City mode PC : 1-2 boost
Sport mode PC : 6-7 boost
Sport+ mode PC: 9-11 boost

This is purely seat-of-the-pants, so YMMV, but it's a reasonable approximation of how Pedal Commander responds. With my T, the existing 400 hp/torque is so much more accessible. I like the spacing between all of the performance modes, and they all offer significant improvement over the default pedal feel.

The performance improvement comes from the responsiveness the engine/throttle to inputs. It's not a chip, but it definitely makes the turbos spool quicker, as if you stepped further down on the gas.

After driving all day on the highway, I think City by itself if a great default mode, I think I prefer -1 or even -2 so that the throttle is both smooth and responsive. At -2 there is hardly any boost at a typical small stab of the throttle, just like the default Macan but still much more responsive. Makes parking at in a garage or parallel parking easier lol.

I like having the controller hanging over the right side of the steering column because if there is some traffic on the freeway that I'd like to pass but there isn't an opening yet, I can just reach over with my right hand, click it to sport *boom* and the turbo is spun up and ready to squirt into any gap that opens up. Sport+ makes the turbos so responsive that it's not driveable around town for sure.

All in all, great addition to the T, that for me, obviates the need for a tune at the moment. And the Flat 6 deal for $250? Are you kidding? Best money I've spent on the car, aside from the car, so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was able to install the pedal commander today.

However, not like others, the installation took me more time than expected. As I was screwing the pedal up, I lost the screw under the carpet (not sure how this is even possible) and couldn’t find it. Jon (Flat6 Motorsport) was nice enough to find the exact reference for the screw. I thought I would go to a Porsche dealership and purchased this $0.50 screw. No available screw in the US, has to ship from Germany...The screw is a M6x18mm if people are interested to know, so I purchased a similar screw at home depot. Then, once everything was back on, the car generated a bunch of ECU fault. The pedal commander female end was not clicked enough well with the car connector and therefore the car couldn’t find the accelerator pedal. Once I reinstalled it and cleared all the faults with the Cobb, then everything was working fine.

First impressions are very positive. The city mode is working well in traffic (in +1 or +2) and provides better responsiveness and fast turbo response. The sport mode in +2 was the best one so far (didn’t go higher or spend too much in Sport+). On the Macan Turbo, with the Cobb map and the awe exhaust, the responsiveness is pretty amazing without a WOT. I thought it was very manageable so far even in heavy traffic (in manual or automated mode).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a chance to really let lose with the Cobb 201 93 tune and the Pedal Commander on my Macan S. Sport and +3 mode gave me that nice ‘kicked into the seat back’ feel I had rarely experienced with this car. In traffic city mode or less, feels about right. This has brought back a level of enthusiasm I was starting to lose.

I would recommend a pair if soft soled sneakers in the higher settings as you really need the pedal feedback.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
So I must confess, before installing but after reading reviews on YouTube, I wasn't holding out much hope for the PedalCommander to cure the very bad lag in my 2018 F150. Now I know you guys aren't very much interested in what it does to an F150, but I feel compelled to report the results.

First, I installed it yesterday. Took about 5 minutes. Just a bit difficult to get the OEM clip off the pedal. Once it came off, along with a piece of my knuckle, I installed the PD within a minute, stuck the velcro to a smooth part of the dashboard, and parked the truck, having taken my 911 to the gym.

Today I drove the truck to the train station, about 7 miles. In a word (really 3) OMG. It's amazing. It's transformed the response of the truck ten-fold.

I was at a light close to the station where it's important to be first, or close to first, off the light to make the following turn and then go into the lot. At least it's important to me. I think I left an inch of rubber on the ground as I left others in my dust.

I highly recommend this mod. Thank you, Jon.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I was able to install the pedal commander today.

However, not like others, the installation took me more time than expected. As I was screwing the pedal up, I lost the screw under the carpet (not sure how this is even possible) and couldn’t find it. Jon (Flat6 Motorsport) was nice enough to find the exact reference for the screw. I thought I would go to a Porsche dealership and purchased this $0.50 screw. No available screw in the US, has to ship from Germany...The screw is a M6x18mm if people are interested to know, so I purchased a similar screw at home depot. Then, once everything was back on, the car generated a bunch of ECU fault. The pedal commander female end was not clicked enough well with the car connector and therefore the car couldn’t find the accelerator pedal. Once I reinstalled it and cleared all the faults with the Cobb, then everything was working fine.

First impressions are very positive. The city mode is working well in traffic (in +1 or +2) and provides better responsiveness and fast turbo response. The sport mode in +2 was the best one so far (didn’t go higher or spend too much in Sport+). On the Macan Turbo, with the Cobb map and the awe exhaust, the responsiveness is pretty amazing without a WOT. I thought it was very manageable so far even in heavy traffic (in manual or automated mode).
Here is where your screw is probably hiding:

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
As you may surmise from my post above, I experienced the near panic-inducing loss of the pedal retaining screw. However, I was able to find it.

I've just a few miles experience with the new Pedal Commander, but my skepticism has been erased; it definitely makes a noticeable difference in throttle response. It will, however, be a while before I figure this thing out. It certainly takes some getting used to. I do think I will like it in the long run. The more abrupt throttle response is certainly appealing. But there can doubtless be too much of a good thing.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You can access Eco mode in the small console if you press and holding the button for 3 seconds. Is a safety feature so that you don’t inadvertently select it, as it will significantly slow the response of the car to a point that it could be unsafe. The also recommend that you never operate your vehicle in Eco (-4), as it may not generate a detectable signal by the system.

Modified review:

A. The cable is actually longer than I thought, it's enough to loop the control unit over the left side of the steering wheel column and hang over the right side, which makes it rather convenient for changing settings more quickly than with bt; besides, usually either waze or music app is on the phone so it's a pain to switch rapidly on the app.

B. You cannot access ECO mode from the control unit: it starts from City, then to Sport and Sport+. If you click the power/star button once more then it goes to default Macan pedal response, and none of the indicators are lit.

C. ECO mode can only be accessed through the bt app, and the response is definitely slower than the default Macan pedal response. Once you set it thru the app, the ECO button will get lit. This is like a Valet/Kids mode. Haven't tried out to see if it would save any gas. Probably would I think.

D. Tested the various performance modes on the freeway traveling around 70-75 mph... essentially the modes break down this way.

Same small tap on the throttle in:
default Macan : 0 boost
City mode PC : 1-2 boost
Sport mode PC : 6-7 boost
Sport+ mode PC: 9-11 boost

This is purely seat-of-the-pants, so YMMV, but it's a reasonable approximation of how Pedal Commander responds. With my T, the existing 400 hp/torque is so much more accessible. I like the spacing between all of the performance modes, and they all offer significant improvement over the default pedal feel.

The performance improvement comes from the responsiveness the engine/throttle to inputs. It's not a chip, but it definitely makes the turbos spool quicker, as if you stepped further down on the gas.

After driving all day on the highway, I think City by itself if a great default mode, I think I prefer -1 or even -2 so that the throttle is both smooth and responsive. At -2 there is hardly any boost at a typical small stab of the throttle, just like the default Macan but still much more responsive. Makes parking at in a garage or parallel parking easier lol.

I like having the controller hanging over the right side of the steering column because if there is some traffic on the freeway that I'd like to pass but there isn't an opening yet, I can just reach over with my right hand, click it to sport boom and the turbo is spun up and ready to squirt into any gap that opens up. Sport+ makes the turbos so responsive that it's not driveable around town for sure.

All in all, great addition to the T, that for me, obviates the need for a tune at the moment. And the Flat 6 deal for $250? Are you kidding? Best money I've spent on the car, aside from the car, so far.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I added the Pedal Commander to my Macan S, and it has made a significant difference. I’m very pleased with how responsive the throttle is now. With the appropriate setup, it feels like a 1:1 ratio, meaning that it feels throttle responds in direct correlation to pedal depression, as opposed to before when I have to depress pedal and a few milliseconds later the throttle would respond.

I have set it up in City (+2) for normal driving and have found it to be quite responsive and more normal.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts