Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
It’s posted on another well know Macan Forum. Google is your friend :)
I suspect you were not literal so I segway for a pet concern: Google is anything but a friend - unless you are happy to have Alphabet determine for you what you see based on its commercial and political benefits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bump for this thread. This worked for me. Like some other posters my (‘18, 2.0) was holding first and 2nd too long and it was also unsure what to do between 4th and 5th at about 45 plus or minus. Reset tonight (sober) and it’s clearly back to the factory rest for quick up shifts for efficiency sake. At least it’s more predictable.

This combined with the pedal commander eliminating most of the slop in the throttle by wire and I’ve got zero complaints with the power train.

·
Registered
2018 GTS
166 Posts
I don't get the concept of a transmission learning how you drive and how this reset could possibly hold if in fact it is learning all the time. If it shifts faster after the reset and you are unable to drive aggressively all the time will not just go back to not shifting faster?

·
Registered
2019 Macan Base, Premium Plus, 19" Turbo wheels
295 Posts
I followed the procedure just to see if it works.

It does. But the car had to relearn my shifting preferences.

I drive it in Sport mode and in automatic and use the paddles to short shift (as is my preference). It needs a long drive to fully register your preferences. It will also learn how you shift by throttle response, i.e. light throttle and upshifting at 3k rpm vs. half throttle and upshifting at 5k rpm.

If you really like how it is shifting, save it on the door and to your key.

I have an evening route I like to drive. At a moderate pace in Sport mode, the PDK is just sublime.

JMHO/YMMV. (y)

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
I followed the procedure just to see if it works.

It does. But the car had to relearn my shifting preferences.

I drive it in Sport mode and in automatic and use the paddles to short shift (as is my preference). It needs a long drive to fully register your preferences. It will also learn how you shift by throttle response, i.e. light throttle and upshifting at 3k rpm vs. half throttle and upshifting at 5k rpm.

If you really like how it is shifting, save it on the door and to your key.

I have an evening route I like to drive. At a moderate pace in Sport mode, the PDK is just sublime.

JMHO/YMMV. (y)
Is there a spot in the manual you could point us to that says this can be saved to the door & key? This would be new for me. What year and version Macan do you have?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Is there a spot in the manual you could point us to that says this can be saved to the door & key? This would be new for me. What year and version Macan do you have?
2019 Base (see my signature :) ).

I read the posts (several) here and on Rennlist. The info from the manual came from here or there. At the time I did this, I was still learning about the car and was experimenting with saving preferences on the door and to the key.

When doing so, it is not like the car or PCM gives a message: your PDK preferences have been saved. So, I don't know if the car updates continually to learn PDK preferences or if they were retained when I saved seating and climate preferences. Saving preferences on the door is just a suggestion and, all other things being equal, won't negatively affect anything else.

I had some warranty work performed (right front PLDS unit replaced) last December and the car came back seemingly with a factory reset. The PDK was aggressive and rpms were screaming in Sport mode. I once again used the paddles to short shift in automatic and Sport mode and the car learned the preferences on the fly. I save to the door for good measure when I get things working the way I like. I don't know if that act is making the save permanent, but the car is retaining my preferences nevertheless.

At that point the car will remain consistent and will react in a way you can rely upon for spirited driving.

I still manually downshift in automatic and Sport mode for the tightest corners so I don't have to wait for the PDK when I get back on the gas. Otherwise, I let the car do the work, most of the time.

There is lots of disagreement throughout these threads, which I why I tried it myself. It worked for me and made the car more enjoyable and consistent for me to drive.

BTW, I just came out of a 2021 Base model service loaner. It ran and performed nice and crisply (~1200 miles when I got it for the weekend). I changed several preferences (seating position, disabled comfort entry, disabled auto stop, climate settings, trained the PDK for my shifting preferences) and saved them to the door and to the key. All was retained, one way or another. I put a couple hundred miles (~300 miles) on it over the weekend (Thursday eve - Monday eve) and all of my inputs were saved and remained consistent.

·
Registered
2018 GTS
166 Posts
I still manually downshift in automatic and Sport mode for the tightest corners so I don't have to wait for the PDK when I get back on the gas. Otherwise, I let the car do the work, most of the time.
I have gotten pretty good at tapping the breaks just right as I am going into the corner to get the PDK to downshift for me so I can power out of the corner...it took a while to get it right but I can do it every time now.

My understanding of the engine and transmission is there are different maps that can be called up based off of throttle input if I hit the throttle too hard on the GTS it will hold gear 1st to the red line slightly less input and will shift considerably earlier.

This is all not say you did not feel a difference after the reset I am sure you did I am only pointing out the fact that if there was continuous learning at which point would your preference stick mentioning the memory option would definitely answer that question but to my knowledge that does not exist.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have gotten pretty good at tapping the breaks just right as I am going into the corner to get the PDK to downshift for me so I can power out of the corner...it took a while to get it right but I can do it every time now.

My understanding of the engine and transmission is there are different maps that can be called up based off of throttle input if I hit the throttle too hard on the GTS it will hold gear 1st to the red line slightly less input and will shift considerably earlier.

This is all not say you did not feel a difference after the reset I am sure you did I am only pointing out the fact that if there was continuous learning at which point would your preference stick mentioning the memory option would definitely answer that question but to my knowledge that does not exist.
I would love to understand exactly how it all works. I believe Porsche does not disclose everything for liability reasons. But in practice, the car will encourage spirited and fun driving. The more you do, the more it seems to encourage it.

At the time I did the reset, I had everything working the way I wanted. So, I was apprehensive to screw up a good thing. Ultimately, I did have to start over.

These days, it runs so good in Sport or Economy mode, I don't want to change anything.

·
Registered
2018 Macan S
9 Posts
Did this today because I had a symptom of hesitation or slipping when starting from a complete stop.

This has fixed the issue the last 2 drives.

To note: If anyone does theirs soon, I swear when I locked the Macan to wait outside for 1 minute, it only made one single chirp instead of the two quick chirps im use to when normally locking.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts