Porsche Macan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Macan S, rhodium silver, PTV/PASM, PP+, COBB, driven on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway track
242 Posts
Out of warranty on miles (69k). They did the TCC on good will. Had 'most' of my service done at dealership.
Went out of warranty and decided to have Indy do the 70k service, they found the leak and wanted to charge me $7500 to fix.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Porsche Chandler
I think this come from PCNA. They call small leaks… seeps, LOL!

They're just trying to get out of fixing things until, of course, you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, confirmed leak on mine.
Was in for different issue, they informed me and made claim for me. Porsche would cover large chunk, dealer said they'd throw in some too but I'd have to cover 11hrs of the labor.
Car was there for nearly 2 weeks, they gave me a loaner too

I was forgiving of my service rep, can't be fun telling someone that their pride and joy is broken, (they didn't do it)
Anyway, during my visit to the facility I took lots of pics with engine out, saw where bolts had sheared, top outer edge of timing cover where the valve cover sits. Both sides.

Have probs trying to upload on here, so if no pics are here, sorry, won't let me....

I found a coolant connection had been sleeping, mechanic and I checked the soft hose, couldn't see any obvious damage, could have just been a loose clamp, but, if this fails, say goodbye to engine or other overheated damage.
So, approved replacement, turns out that this small right angle rubber hose is in fact a large assembly part, at $1k, yes that's right a grand a tube!! But, failure means drama, car it 2 years old and 65k miles (I drive my stuff😀) so replacement cannot be questioned, and this thing would be a pain to replace with the engine in.

Summing up, my total cost was $4.5k. Added a plug change too as service time called for it, and as with the rest, engine out makes decision simple.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Too bad you had to pay 4.5K for repairs.
You should not list routine maintenance (Spark plug change) in with the repair total, though.

So, you had to pay 100% for replacing the $1K cooling hose? + labor for that.
Too bad Porsche did not cover that hose repair even though you are out of warranty due to mileage.
But @ only 2 years, hoses should NOT be leaking!

If I understand you, you & Porsche mechanic could not verify that there was a problem with the $1K small coolant hose.
How do you know your water pump itself was not leaking, or as you said, the hose clamp?

I assume you have a new hose clamp as well (Probably cost $100 ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
In response to your initial question, I apologise, I added "extras"....
I paid for plugs and hose, dealer did not charge for Labour on those, thanks to the dealer for that. They also discounted the hose down to $700.
From my check of the water pump to hose, I couldn't find any damage around the hard tube of the water pump, it was clearly a hose to pump leak, the hose itself was in good condition too, I authorised the replacement as if it did go in the future I'd only have myself to blame for being cheap. The alternative if it failed is too expensive and just not something I would let go.

I'd say my cost for the fault issue was really $2750 approx. I paid for 11 hrs labor, some gaskets and seals.

Hope that keeps your info up to date.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
@2,750 is a lot better than $4,500.
I hope you do not have to do anything other than routine maintenance for a long time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I shall add a data point!

I went in for service and they found the timing chain cover leak. My SA told me NOT to pay for the FULL engine drop/TC Repair because it’s bonkers (around 14k), HOWEVER, they did note that it was only 2 bolts that needed to be replaced to repair said leak (they noted its coming from the top of the engine and in a specific spot) They will repair it without dropping the engine for $1600 bucks. They have been doing this for those that have leaks coming from a specific spot on the engine itself, and have found the repair to be just as good and WAY more cost effective obviously. I am 8 months outside my 4 year warranty at 46k miles.

I have done all services/recalls/repairs at this dealer and have a rather good relationship with 2 of the SA’s and staff. Ironically, my SA was like ”well I know you want to go EV, maybe this is the universes way to tell you to go EV and not have to worry about oil leaks”

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
...they found the timing chain cover leak. My SA told me NOT to pay for the FULL engine drop/TC Repair .... They will repair it without dropping the engine for $1600 bucks. ... have a rather good relationship with 2 of the SA’s and staff. Ironically, my SA was like ”well I know you want to go EV, maybe this is the universes way to tell you to go EV and not have to worry about oil leaks”
I would certain NOT pay $1,600 out of pocket for an inferior & improper repair. (PCNA details the proper repair for this issue)

Can you try another Porsche dealer & perhaps involve PCNA? Maybe get most of the correct, expensive repair paid by PCNA?

Your 'good relationship' SA tells you to dump the car & buy an EV from him?
LOLOL.

·
Premium Member
7,201 Posts
$500 fix for 2 bolts sounds about right but not $1600.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Might be bigger deal than just putting in 2 bolts. I think Porsche makes the dealer pull the timing cover and replace the gasket. This is a precision type job as they have to use a dial indicator to set/check install of timing cover, let alone for just dropping down the bloody whole contraption out of the car in the first place. I would get everything done at this point, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt and tensioner.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Might be bigger deal than just putting in 2 bolts. I think Porsche makes the dealer pull the timing cover and replace the gasket. This is a precision type job as they have to use a dial indicator to set/check install of timing cover, let alone for just dropping down the bloody whole contraption out of the car in the first place. I would get everything done at this point, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt and tensioner.
If Porsche covered the cost of the engine out Timing Cover oil leak fix, what would you have to pay to replace; water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt and tensioner?

Reactions: wwahl

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm experiencing this issue currently and have any appointment with dealership in a few weeks. They will diagnose initially and start with replacing 2 bolts as thats been a common issue. If further issues then pictures will be sent to PCNA and see what can be done.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Well, it looks like I am getting the timing chain cover leak on my car. Last September I got a warning of low oil level for the first time ever and stopped at the dealer and they added oil. Two months later I had my 60k miles service done and oil was replaced. This morning I had to stop by to add washer fluid to my car and noticed the oil level was down although not in the warning zone. I asked my fantastic SA to check it and after a while he came back and said it was leaking. Although I am way outside the warranty he said he will do everything in his power to get it fully covered by Porsche. I am not very concerned since I still have 14 months of Geico MBI coverage on my car so worst case scenario Geico will cover it. Will keep you posted.

Reactions: carsly

·
Registered
277 Posts
My indy just told me I've got a small TCC leak. 87K well past the warranty. I guess I'm effed...
Not necessarily. I've got a 2015 Macan S, 61K and I just had the two-bolt fix done at my dealership for $113.49. Check the thread here: RUMORED: Possible 2-bolt "fix" for the TCC Oil...

Keep in mind there is now a triage process in place so it depends on the problem source/type behind the leak. I had loose bolts but no measurable oil loss. Others have had broken bolts and oil leaking down to the belly pan - I had nothing on the underside of the car or on the belly pan and no measurable change in oil levels from year to year.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts