Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As posted in a separate thread, I followed the suggestion of someone who posted in this forum they had used an iPad mini screen protector, which was cut to Macan PCM screen size and applied. I bought an iPad mini screen protector and cut it to 3.5" x 6" and applied. It was good, but not great, as I was not able to remove all bubbles. It was also a wet application.

Not content with the outcome, I decided to do a search for a better screen protector for the Macan PCM screen. I found the following screen protector in amazon.com, which was already pre-cut to specifications (3.5" x 6") and is a dry application:Amzer Screen Protector

I applied the screen protector today with excellent results. As advertised, it is a dry application and the results are:

(1) No Bubbles
(2) Reduced Glare
(3) No fingerprints
(4) Glassy finish, improved contrast
(5) Anti-Scratch surface

You can see here a sequence of photos I took during application and final results (take a look at each photo's comments, as they describe what is going on)...

Let me know if you have question...

·
Registered
103 Posts
That link doesn't seem to work for me with a click but if you drop just B009SIJRN6 into the Amazon search box, it brings up one item.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As posted in a separate thread, I followed the suggestion of someone who posted in this forum they had used an iPad mini screen protector, which was cut to Macan PCM screen size and applied. I bought an iPad mini screen protector and cut it to 3.5" x 6" and applied. It was good, but not great, as I was not able to remove all bubbles. It was also a wet application.

Not content with the outcome, I decided to do a search for a better screen protector for the Macan PCM screen. I found the following screen protector in amazon.com, which was already pre-cut to specifications (3.5" x 6"):Amzer Screen Protector

I applied the screen protector today with excellent results. As advertised, it is a dry application and the results are:

(1) No Bubbles
(2) Reduced Glare
(3) No fingerprints
(4) Glassy finish, improved contrast
(5) Anti-Scratch surface

You can see here a sequence of photos I took during application and final results (take a look at each photo's comments, as they describe what is going on)...

Let me know if you have question...

Curious if you have had a chance to take that out in bright sunlight yet? Seeing as it has a glassy finish I'm just wondering if the reduced glare holds up when it is really bright outside?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That link doesn't seem to work for me with a click but if you drop just B009SIJRN6 into the Amazon search box, it brings up one item.
You can try now... I fixed the link.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Curious if you have had a chance to take that out in bright sunlight yet? Seeing as it has a glassy finish I'm just wondering if the reduced glare holds up when it is really bright outside?
The previous screen protector I had (the iPad mini which I cut to fit it in the PCM screen), did had the glassy finish, and significantly reduced the glare. Previously when the sun hit the screen it basically blocked the screen from view. All I can see was the sun. With the protector, it improved significantly.

I just installed this one tonight. I will report back as soon as I take it out under the sun.

This one I applied is supposed to be anti-glare.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Does the small black wipe your're using take all the fingerprints before you install it? Do you use any cleaning solution to clean it?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the small black wipe your're using take all the fingerprints before you install it? Do you use any cleaning solution to clean it?
Mine was already very clean, since I had a screen protector already which I just removed. I used the lint-free cloth to complete cleaning.

I did use the solution that came with the first "iPad Mini" screen protector the first time when I applied that first film.

I did installed one on my wife's Volvo as well, using only the cloth, and it cleaned very well...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After my commute this morning, I'm convinced that this type of screen protector greatly reduce glare. Previously, if I had the sun hitting the screen directly, I would had a hard time reading or seeing content.

With the screen protector, now with the sun hitting directly, you can still see content with no significant reduction in quality.

However, I do have to say that I'm slightly annoyed with the gap. It is about a 2mm on top and 1mm on the bottom (as I installed it). I reconsidering going back to the modified iPad mini screen protector. I think I like it better to have 1 or 2 really small bubbles than having those gaps.

I'll let you know later what I decide, but it is an option.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Any idea how it interfaces with polarized sunglasses? Depending on the orientation, it may be unreadable if you wear them (like me).

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did it that way first (wet application). A couple of bubbles remained and that annoyed me and I went with the pre-cut one (dry application). It solved the bubble issue but left the gap. I'm confident that after applying and playing with the wet application one, I'll be able to do it with no bubbles next time and cover the whole screen.

To cut it, it is better to use a cutting board (that's how I did it) in order to have straight cuts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any idea how it interfaces with polarized sunglasses? Depending on the orientation, it may be unreadable if you wear them (like me).

My understanding is that the screen protector is not polarized.

That's the only way you get to block light, if you are looking at a polarized screen with polarized lenses and they are 90 degrees offset. If the lens and screen polarization lines don't align, you won't see screen content as you will be blocking all light waves.

I'll check today and let you know.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a phone, tablet and computer with touch screens that get far more use than the touch screen in my car will ever receive. None of them have screen protectors. None of them have any damage that a cleaning cloth won't remove. Just what damage are people concerned about that can't be prevented by common sense usage?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
This screen is not the same as the ones normally used in tablets and phones. In tablets and phones you usually have gorilla glass or in more special cases, sapphire glass. These are very resilient surfaces and not as prone to scratching.

The PCM screen is not that. Material feels different. I'll do a little more research to see if I can find out material, but in the meantime and in my view, mine requires protection.

My main driver though, was elimination or reduction of fingerprints. I can't stand those.

BTW... None of my tablets and computers have screen protector either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered the pre-cut one here just to have and will try it when I have both it and my car in my possession. I will do a report on it as well later but suspect the hand cut one might be better too. If you can cut it straight and do it without bubbles that is. It takes some practice. I did sun film on house windows years ago and the later windows turned out much better than the first. Although you can get a lot of bubbles out, sometimes they work themselves into a form that keeps shape and keep popping up again. Then you might as well start over with a new sheet if you want it perfect.

Considering the place we are putting it, it might be worth getting extra material and practicing on a plan window first. Or buy the smallest roll of film at a hardware store and practice a couple times. Just a thought since that might be cheaper than what you get for the Macan.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I remember reading in the Macan manual that the PCM screen can be easily scratched, which is why I plan on doing this. These scratches would be likely to happen at car washes. There's a thread here where it happened to a forum member's Macan.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've never had a scratched screen and I dont care for glossy reflective surface, so no for me.

·
Registered
611 Posts
PCM Screen Protector Use.

Wondering how the PCM touch screen holds up to regular use and if I should put a protective cover on the said screen?

Do you just need to clean it with something like Plexus as needed or is it better to put a protective film or glass to keep it from scratching over time. I still have the factory protective film on it and don't want to take it off yet till I decide if I am going to use a screen protector.

Looked at some of the prior discussions but they are pretty old, also is the PCM screen glass or some kind of plastic?

Saw this on Amazon that looks like it may work?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XLH23N/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IB63FSGWJFH0R&colid=1ORW6R1PENFH3&psc=0[/ame]

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
My Macan is almost two years old, cleaned the PCM just once with a microfibre cloth long ago, still like the first day. I think it is unnecessary to add a film on top of the screen, unless somebody plans to key it or your nails are pointy and hard as diamond.
I was planning to key mine...:D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts