Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not getting it since I have already driven up the cost with other options and because I find it ridiculous paying so much money for something I don't really need.
And when paying for such an upgrade I would expect a screen upgrade too. Look at Tesla, they are working on bringing Android app support to their system :cool:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I always find the built in Navigation systems locking yourself into obsolescence. The map updates never happen frequently enough and technology move on.

I have navigation in my Acura MDX now and end up using my iPhone's Google Maps instead - faster and more accurate. The one time Navigation is nice is if you are driving with other people often, then hearing your phone over a conversation can be hard.

Caveat to the above debate, my wife loves it and everyone else I know who has it in their car love the convenience of it, even if they do bemoan it's inaccuracies

·
Registered
972 Posts
We get PCM + nav free here in Aus, but I would still pay for it anyway. Main reasons are convenience (no need to pull your phone out for nav) and resale (many people won't touch a car without nav)

I have heard the porsche satnav is particularly horrid but it is still better than nothing!

Also check that in your market, the non-PCM audio option is CDR Plus not CDR. CDR has a pathetic 100W sound system whereas CDR Plus = 235W

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This comes standard in my market:

CDR Plus audio system with high-resolution 7-inch colour touchscreen, radio with RDS twin tuner and single CD/DVD drive, supporting MP3 playback, a total of 11 loudspeakers and one external amplifier, total output 235 watts (May be incompatible with some copy-protected CDs/DVDs)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Also, there is a screen upgrade with PCM - its the sane size but a higher resolution. You also get a separate 10/11 channel amp and 235W instead of 100W stereo with no separate amp.
That's the CDR+ (upgraded version of CDR non-plus) - all macans have at least 235W base audio :)

Base and Burm both have more amp channels per speaker than Bose. A lot of Bose algorithm trickery going on there... tbh I think base + insulated glass will sound better than bose + normal glass.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
It's true that with a smart phone, the nav option in cars just isn't as useful. However, I really do like the nav in my 958 and prefer it over the smart phone. Bigger screen, better visual, and just tighter integration. And I really think it's easier to use than our previous Lexus/Toyota/BMW and works well.

As stated in an above post, when I ordered my 958, optioning the PCM also included an upgrade in power and speakers to the base stereo. I'd def spec the PCM in the Macan, but think its standard in the Turbo.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'm not getting it since I have already driven up the cost with other options and because I find it ridiculous paying so much money for something I don't really need.
And when paying for such an upgrade I would expect a screen upgrade too. Look at Tesla, they are working on bringing Android app support to their system :cool:
Agree. I can always stick my $80 Garmin with lifetime North American updates onto the windscreen! Waste for me, spending it on some performance options.

Reactions: Kannassee

·
Registered
77 Posts
To me, nothing looks tackler than a portable GPS stuck to a windshield. I can just imagine people snickering, "Ha ha. Look, this guy can afford Porsche but he can't afford a proper nav system. Ha ha, I even have one in my Escape!" Besides, who wants to dig out a device, plug it in and stick it on every time you get in the car.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
To me, nothing looks tackler than a portable GPS stuck to a windshield. I can just imagine people snickering, "Ha ha. Look, this guy can afford Porsche but he can't afford a proper nav system. Ha ha, I even have one in my Escape!" Besides, who wants to dig out a device, plug it in and stick it on every time you get in the car.
I'd sooner have a factory navigation unit than a portable GPS system. As often as I use navigation, which is not very often at all, I'd rather use my phone and take advantage of up to date Google Maps routing and traffic as well as points of interest search. There are elegant phone mounting options out there, or you can just throw the phone in the cup holder and listen for the prompts.

Things will get better once we see the virtual dash technology in cars like what Audi showed at the CES earlier this month.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Right, this is the same as all of the current Porsche models with navigation.

But you're still dealing with stale data from the hard drive based maps and POI. Unless you spring for the connected car option, which to me is price prohibitive given that I get the same data from my $230 smart phone. For someone that uses Nav every day, it makes more sense than for someone like me that uses it maybe once a month.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
The US Infotainment Package describes the nav as such, leading me to believe it gets live traffic data at least:
Navigation Module
Hard drive containing 3D map display and 3D navigation map supporting city and terrain models with satellite image overlay, dynamic route calculation (TMC), advanced dynamic route guidance based on various traffic flow data, automatic route tracing and subsequent reverse route navigation. Navigation by compass and GPS in regions not covered by map data.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Many options become out of date in two years. How often one changes the standalone gps units? Though tech changes often the basic needs of hands free call, music, turn by turn directions and POI would remain the same IMHO

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well if I needed it every day I would reconsider. But I'm trying to be responsible here, I can't spend 3,758 EUR (~5,000 USD) for the PCM with good conscience.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.