Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i’ve been researching these mods and was wondering what peoples’ experiences were with them. How is the sound quality? Any functionality issues? Mic function? Siri response?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Installed the Isudar Car Play retro- fit to my 2015 Macan S. I have always streamed music via USB as the quality is generally better than via bluetooth. I cannot complain as the board has a built in EQ that allows you to tune your music to taste. All the other concerns you have are not a worry as SIri works just fine. Getting use to operation will take a little time as the info button bring up the system to operate with IOS and Android.
Installation of the kit will take some time but it’s worth it. I also upgraded the hard drive in my PCM to SSD at the same time. You’ll find information in the forum regarding the above updates they are well worth it. Also saved me thousands of dollars versus buying a new car just to get Car Play. 👍👍

·
Registered
25 Posts
2016 Turbo with NM Automotive.. 👍
Nick is extremely patient and helpful.
The Hardest part was getting the **** vents out without breaking them.
No issues but remember to save you settings on the door, as they save pcm settings etc as well… not a lot of people know that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.
Any issues with the bluetooth on the Carplay board conflicting with the PCM’s original bluetooth? I assume you have to unpair from the PCM’s bluetooth.

Microphone quality was another question. From the install videos, it looks like the mic is usually installed in the vents, does this impact the sound quality for people calling you?

Basically what I’m getting at is, if it’s glitchy and in anyway poorer quality than typical OEM systems, I don’t really want to bother with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The trick is to ‘untick’ the aux Bluetooth selection when setting it up in the pcm system. This stops the CarPlay ‘hunting’ for a connection. If ‘aux BT’ is selected it sometimes connects to the pcm first and you’ll have no sound but a visual connection.(resulting in you initially messing with your phone to try to fix it..🙄- don’t ask how I know)

Microphone quality- I’m not that fussy as I don’t use it for business. My microphone is actually situated ‘clipped’ around the indicator stalk. Not very ‘Porsche’ but I dont notice it. When I’ve queried freinds on the phone quality everyone says it sounds ‘normal’. Just like a normal car phone connection.
You’ll receive a 58 page instruction manual, and Nick has always been just an email away with his answers.👍.
i specifically wanted CarPlay because I’m so used to it with every other vehicle I’ve recently used.
I did consider replacing the pcm with a new aftermarket head unit and surround, but I’ve since found out (from Nick) that the pcm is more than just a ‘stereo’.🤨
It’s easy to switch back and forth.. just ‘long’ press the info button.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most recent response:

Hi Marc,

It works like this:
Since all PCM 3.0 / 3.1 have built-in BT handsfree, so you can connect your phone to both the PCM and the P2000MD (CarPlay interface)
once a call comes it the PCM BTHF will intercept and take care of the phone, you will talk thru the Porsche built-in BTHF thus the built-in microphone.

However, if you call up SIRI(Apple) or VA(Android), the built-in microphone will not take command and now you need to speak thru the microphone we provided :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Thanks. Link to the video here:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Santirx for the great video. How do you find its behaviour with the other video feeds, i.e. backup camera and parking sensor graphics? Do they still come up on-screen as usual, or does the module prevent them from displaying in CarPlay mode?

I haven't installed mine yet, as I am still waiting on the standoffs I ordered. I was thinking of taking the opportunity add a couple cameras, but it doesn't appear that you went this route.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Thanks Santirx for the great video. How do you find its behaviour with the other video feeds, i.e. backup camera and parking sensor graphics? Do they still come up on-screen as usual, or does the module prevent them from displaying in CarPlay mode?

I haven't installed mine yet, as I am still waiting on the standoffs I ordered. I was thinking of taking the opportunity add a couple cameras, but it doesn't appear that you went this route.
Behavior with other video feeds is normal. When I put car in reverse, system will go to PCM rear view video. When placed back in gear, it goes back to CarPlay. Because it used PCM video, all sensors, all systems are present.

To your question, unless you specify aftermarket camera and connect to the quad harness, the system will transition to PCM and back automatically. To test, when you put in reverse gear, remember to take e-brake off…

To your questions about connecting additional cameras, in this case you will need to decide to stick with OEM it go full aftermarket (even for the rear). Not sure if going aftermarket will play with PCM, so you may lose PCM camera (unless you leave existing one, but then you’ll have two cameras in the rear).

I’m working on a review video as I have the unique experience of having installed 3 different aftermarket CarPlay systems in my Macan (Joye, Isudar and now Mr12Volt). I’ll go through all the benefits and quirks of each…

As you may have seen in the video, I had to remove the Isudar/Ebilaen board to install Mr12volt.

As a preview of my review, the Mr12volt solution is the best one by a long mile… in most aspects, stability and ease of connection, audio quality are far superior. PCM system integration is the best of the 3 system, except microphone. Isudar leverages factory microphone while Joye and Mr12Volt requires a separate microphone.

Installation is the most difficult of the 3 systems tested. Isudar is only an internal module, so no wires to route to passenger’s well and although Joye is similar in which it has an external module that requires wire routing to passenger’s well, I give the edge to Joye in installation easiness because wires are longer.

My priority had always been audio, having spend several thousand dollars doing a full audio system revamp, having an aftermarket system with native MOST25, is a significant plus for me. And Mr12Volt doesn’t disappoint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just received my Module as well. I incorrectly assumed that that the install would only involve plugging in an existing wiring harness rather than opening up the PCM and adding a module to the board. Definitely beyond my ability. Anyone think that there is a chance that my local dealer would install this for me?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just received my Module as well. I incorrectly assumed that that the install would only involve plugging in an existing wiring harness rather than opening up the PCM and adding a module to the board. Definitely beyond my ability. Anyone think that there is a chance that my local dealer would install this for me?
You'd be much more likely to get an car audio shop to install this - I think it's pretty routine for them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts