Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
THANK YOU for posting this. I have had an annoying rattle coming form the passenger door of my '19 GTS. If I press firmly on the trim strip (the strip you removed from your driver side door) right where the "X" is in the pic below, the rattle completely stops.

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper

I was trying to figure out how to remove the trim strip earlier today but had no clue how it was attached. I haven't tried it yet, but I will give it a shot using your suggestions here.

It drives me nuts hearing this, since the car is completely silent except for this. And the awesome exhaust sounds.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey, I wouldn't hesitate to try to remove it yourself. I think it's sturdier than any any metal trim. Just be really patient and work your way around the trim piece multiple times. The first few it won't even feel like you're doing anything. I put painters tape on the leather surround to protect it from any scratching as I was prying.

I have a generic 5 piece plastic trim removal set from Amazon. There are dozen, just take your pick. DM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was able to treat a very annoying, consistent bass induced rattle that was coming from the carbon fiber door trim which was great, the problem was that now I just hear a different rattle.

I've read every post on the internet about rattles and haven't come across anyone with this particular complaint. The rattle seems to be coming from within the drivers side door, right around the area of the door latch.... Maybe just and inch up and forward. I took off the door panel and the inner door cover to access the the door internals. I inspected every single cable, zip tie, clip, and every mechanism inside to no avail. If I have the door open, and give it a quick "shake" like in a open/close motion (just an inch or two rapidly in each direction) I can replicate it. I can hear it but just cannot find it for the life of me.

On the street, it presents itself over small quick bumps, and it almost sounds like the window or doors itself is just barely rattling up and down. It's moderate in pitch and almost has a buffeting type tone to it.

I know it's a long shot, but I am hoping someone here may have experienced/solved something similar.

On the plus side when I had the door apart I installed 3 sheets of "second skin - damplifier pro" and it really helped to improve the bass/mid bass from the door. If any of you are experiencing bass I diced rattle I'd suggest attempting this. The outer and inner skins are quite accommodating for application.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I know this doesn’t help you.....and please pardon me, I don’t mean to make light of your frustration......but it reminds me of the cartoon where you see a 911 up on the lift, 1,739 little parts scattered all over the garage floor, and the guy says “Found the cause of that rattle. It was a marble in the ashtray”.

Reactions: mplgaus and Hokie

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The fact that you can replicate the rattle at will s/b helpful. Is your Macan under warranty? If not maybe a car stereo shop can solve this issue. If you have a helper, maybe they can press & hold different areas when you have the panel off & shake the door to see if a certain area being pressed, stops the rattle.

Interesting that you noticed this new rattle only after you fixed/treated your old rattle. Can you test by undoing your treatment to see if the new rattle goes away? Maybe your fix somehow caused the new rattle.

Good luck & let us know when you find the culprit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know this doesn’t help you.....and please pardon me, I don’t mean to make light of your frustration......but it reminds me of the cartoon where you see a 911 up on the lift, 1,739 little parts scattered all over the garage floor, and the guy says “Found the cause of that rattle. It was a marble in the ashtray”.
LOL, at this point I'd be thrilled to find a whole bag of marbles hidden somewhere.

The fact that you can replicate the rattle at will s/b helpful. Is your Macan under warranty? If not maybe a car stereo shop can solve this issue. If you have a helper, maybe they can press & hold different areas when you have the panel off & shake the door to see if a certain area being pressed, stops the rattle.

Interesting that you noticed this new rattle only after you fixed/treated your old rattle. Can you test by undoing your treatment to see if the new rattle goes away? Maybe your fix somehow caused the new rattle.

Good luck & let us know when you find the culprit.
I had considered this as well, but my fixes were limited to the door card itself. With the door card completely off, the rattle still persists.

I'm speculating here, but it actually seems one of the internal door components (I.e. The regulator, the latch mechanism, etc)itself has an internal rattle - because I grabbed and held every part inside that door and still the rattle persisted. Without pulling the individual components out of the door and shaking them on their own, I'm not confident I'll find it.

I've considered resorting to the dealer, or having a stereo/tint shop check it out - but honestly I don't love the idea of techs pulling apart the door because it is so fragile - worried ill just end up with a new problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this rattle. I had it on both front doors. A good possibility to school oneself in patience ;)
My solution: I just bumped against the door everytime it nerved which helped for a few minutes to hours and finally after several months it disappeared.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have an ever so slight rattle that comes and goes from an area like the one you describe. A temporary fix for me when driving is to slide a few fingers in between the area where the door panel meets the dash panel just for a couple seconds. It's a tight squeeze, but for me it takes care of the rattle. I'd estimate that I need to do this once every 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have an ever so slight rattle that comes and goes from an area like the one you describe. A temporary fix for me when driving is to slide a few fingers in between the area where the door panel meets the dash panel just for a couple seconds. It's a tight squeeze, but for me it takes care of the rattle. I'd estimate that I need to do this once every 2-3 weeks.
I actually had this one as well, I put a square piece of felt in that apace and it solved it.

BUT... I think I have found it. It seems that the actual door strike ( the chrome D shaped ring in the door jamb) is a bit chipped and dinged up. I believe it's providing just enough tolerance that it's allowing the door latch (and hence the door) just a tiny wiggle room.

I wrapped the strike in electrical tape and the rattle is 95% gone. Plan is to order a new strike and get some white lithium grease applied to the latch itself. I'll report back later this week.

Also, I've 100% confirmed that the rattle I was able to isolate in the door itself is in the lock tumbler beneath the latch. If I manually lock that with the physical key, it disappears.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
1,092 Posts
Try louder music. If that doesn't solve it keep going louder until you lose the ability to hear small rattles. It's saved my sanity. All cars make some amount of noise as you have 10,000+ parts moving at speed. I feel your pain though, I chased many a rattle in my earlier days of better hearing.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Again, not to make light of your issue... It sounds like you’ve finally figured it out... but I too laughed while reading all of this... I just kept thinking “you all should try owing a Land Rover!”.... heck, I’ve had to solve three different rattles and two still persist.... we just consider it part of our LR ownership now!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah I've got it solved to where it's tolerable, it's 100% due to the tolerance in the door and how "tight" it is against its seal.

I think the frustrating thing for me is my last two cars were a fiat 500 abarth, and a Ford mustang. Neither of these cars are especially known for their build quality, but neither of them rattled. However, I do understand there is a LOT more going on in the door of the macan than in my fiat for instance.

Funny thing is I really started paying attention to the squeeks and rattles in my tt-rs, and sure enough, it has almost an identical door rattle. One of those VAG perks I suppose.

Makes me wonder what kind of cash you have to spend to buy a rattle free car.... Something tells me I'll never find out ;-)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am also having this issue... Dealer can't find it. Replaced the window regulator since it is the only moving part in the door they could find??? Anyway, after three tries I'm giving up on them. I would like to find the issue and fix it myself.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts