Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Macan back and the passenger air bag off light does not go off . When someone is in the passenger seat the airbag on light goes on but turns off quickly. Can someone let me know if the airbag off should be lit continuously.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I got my Macan back and the passenger air bag off light does not go off . When someone is in the passenger seat the airbag on light goes on but turns off quickly. Can someone let me know if the airbag off should be lit continuously.
Wait, when someone sits in the passenger seat the Airbag Off light goes out? Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

If it's lit continuously when someone is sitting in the passenger seat, that would mean the airbags on their side are off. Is that you want????

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait, when someone sits in the passenger seat the Airbag Off light goes out? Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

If it's lit continuously when someone is sitting in the passenger seat, that would mean the airbags on their side are off. Is that you want????

That's correct when someone is in the passenger seat the airbag light says "ON" but goes out quickly. GREAT ! as it should. However the air bag "OFF" is staying on continuously when there is no passenger. Before I took my car in to have it repaired I did not notice that light being on constantly. I understand the air bag off is to protect a small child as a passenger or a tiny adult, but why would it stay lit when there is no passenger and the seat as per the manual, is not soaking wet or have a wet towel on it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The airbag light should illuminate briefly at engine start up, regardless if someone is sitting in the seat or not. It's part of the power on self test to show you that all the warning lights are working.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Another reason for the airbag to be off when the seat is empty is to save the cost of yet another $2k (or whatever they run these days) replacement if in a small fender bender.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
continuously illuminated

Page: 52

The PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF/ON indicator lamp is located on the overhead operating console.
Depending on whether the airbag on the passenger seat is switched off or on, the following indicator lights will lluminate:

After switching on the ignition, the PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF/ON indicator lamp lluminates for approx. 5 seconds for a lamp check.

If the airbag on the passenger’s side is switched off, the PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF indicator light is continuously illuminated when the ignition is switched on.

If the passenger seat (seat 2) is occupied with an adult and the airbag on the passenger’s side is switched on, the PASSENGER AIRBAG ON indicator light illuminates for approx. 1 minute and then goes off when the ignition is switched on.

I guess that answers it . I got used to it after a while. Now that I think of it ,it is like that in the Panamera also , I just did not notice it the first few days when I had the car , only when I got it back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just took delivery of my Macan S last week. I find the AirBag On/Off Indicator light above the rear-view mirror quite distracting. Also, if I'm the only one in the car and there's no weight on the passenger front seat, why do I need to be notified or have this light constantly illuminated stating the Airbag deployment if off? The only time I want to see any form of warning is if someone is seated in the front passenger seat and the system is not working properly. At a minimum, this light should be placed elsewhere if it needs to be constantly illuminated. Thoughts?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Why do you have the airbag in OFF-mode in the first place? If you have it on, like it should, if you not having a baby seat there (which I understand you don't?).

Turn the passenger airbag ON. Then the airbag sign will light up for 5 sek and then go off. If there is a passenger in the seat, then the sign with ON will be illuminated for 1 minute and then turn off.

Tip of the day - read the manual! It's all there...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Sorry, but how do you "Turn the passenger airbag ON?" It is supposed to be all automatic and not something you turn on or off yourself.

Why do you have the airbag in OFF-mode in the first place? If you have it on, like it should, if you not having a baby seat there (which I understand you don't?).

Turn the passenger airbag ON. Then the airbag sign will light up for 5 sek and then go off. If there is a passenger in the seat, then the sign with ON will be illuminated for 1 minute and then turn off.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sorry, but how do you "Turn the passenger airbag ON?" It is supposed to be all automatic and not something you turn on or off yourself.
True. Seems like the system could be faulty then. OP should probably just pay a visit to the dealer and have them look at it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I called my dealer and spoke to a service technician. He stated the Passenger AirBag On/Off Indicator will always stay illuminated indicating if the is either on or off regardless of who is sitting or not sitting in the front seat I'll looked at Good to Know and didn't see anything that indicated I could change a setting for this issue. I'll revert to the manual for more details. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where/How do you "Turn the passenger airbag ON"??

Manual says:

Automatic deactivation of the passenger airbag
Before transporting a child on the passenger seat:

Please see the chapter "CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEMS" on page 53.
When an up to one-year old child is seated in the child restraint system on the front seat, the passenger airbag will be automatically deactivated.
When an adult is seated in the front passenger seat the front airbag is automatically activated.

My Macan is behaving as if I have one-year old child is seated in the front seat when the seat is empty.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I too find it distracting. I'd like the manual page quoted where it tells one how to turn that off.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Mine is acting the same way too.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
I have noticed the same thing and commented to my wife a few times. Not sure what's going on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I called two dealerships in my area and spoke to a service tech; both stated the system is supposed to operate this way.

It makes no sense to me if the car recognizes no weight on the front seat to constantly display the airbag is off. The auto detect mechanism should recognize the seat is vacant and display the system is off for a 1min or so and then go out. Just like it displays it's on if someone of proper weight is seated in the passenger seat.

The only time it should constantly display the system off is

1) if there's a mechanical failure with the system and or
2) it has automatically shut off given the amount of weight applied to the front seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts

The PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF/ON indicator lamp is located on the overhead operating console.
Depending on whether the airbag on the passenger seat is switched off or on, the following indicator lights will lluminate:

After switching on the ignition, the PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF/ON indicator lamp lluminates for approx. 5 seconds for a lamp check.

If the airbag on the passenger’s side is switched off, the PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF indicator light is continuously illuminated when the ignition is switched on.

If the passenger seat (seat 2) is occupied with an adult and the airbag on the passenger’s side is switched on, the PASSENGER AIRBAG ON indicator light illuminates for approx. 1 minute and then goes off when the ignition is switched on.

I guess the line in bold says it all, regardless of how the passenger’s side airbag is turned off. If the system auto-detects no weight on the front seat and shuts off the passenger’s side airbag, we are continuously being reminded that no one is seated next to us. This is a useless and distracting warning. I may just get some transparent blue tape and put it over the indicator so it's less obtrusive.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'd suggest a small piece of black electrical tape over the offending light...problem solved!

That being said, if you're that easily distracted by a little light, heaven help us if you're trying to operate the radio, cruise control, etc. while driving.

My nighttime Macan looks like an F-16 cockpit with its many lights. Never been distracted by them...

·
Registered
40 Posts

I guess the line in bold says it all, regardless of how the passenger’s side airbag is turned off. If the system auto-detects no weight on the front seat and shuts off the passenger’s side airbag, we are continuously being reminded that no one is seated next to us. This is a useless and distracting warning. I may just get some transparent blue tape and put it over the indicator so it's less obtrusive.
don't use transparent tape... you want opaque.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts