3 weeks & 1 day @ Penske.
Compare with the damage photo.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Blue

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: Sweetness34
Discussion starter · #162 ·
Tire damage-defects...
Turns out all 4 tires had either a tire cut or 2 tire cuts, or chunking. I tried to get photos.Got some.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Light

Tire Wheel Hand Automotive tire Tread

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Congrats -
The thread began on Jan 7 so its been two months in total. In the end "honest " family left it on your insurance to deal with them and it may have been repaired sooner had to started there . Best thing you did was call the cops at the scene . Glad to see this is over . Now you can enjoy your car again !!

Are you looking at any form of Diminished Value? Reason I ask is that I will be trying to claim that on mine.

Are you looking at any form of Diminished Value? Reason I ask is that I will be trying to claim that on mine.

Previous diminished value discussions have indicated that it varies state by state. Some allow it and others don't.

Remember - we ALL pay for it in the end, through our insurance premiums. If someone's going to collect, everyone's rates are going to increase!
There's no "free ride"!

On the other hand, there's no free ride of course but if you've been paying auto insurance premiums in a state in which the at fault party's insurance company is responsible for paying diminished value, you've been paying premiums in an amount that already reflects that fact. It would be very generous of a person to decide to pay for something for which others, but not themselves, receive a benefit. Depending on the amount of the potential recovery, and the time, effort and expense involved in attempting to recover it, a person may decide whether to pursue a claim.

Discussion starter · #168 ·
Congrats -
The thread began on Jan 7 so its been two months in total. In the end "honest " family left it on your insurance to deal with them and it may have been repaired sooner had to started there . Best thing you did was call the cops at the scene . Glad to see this is over . Now you can enjoy your car again !!
Thanks,
It would not have been repaired sooner since the day after the accident, I drive to Penske to get the preliminary estimate & the repair planner knew I wanted an appt. ASAP to do the repairs. A couple days later I got my appt, weeks away. Well b4 the change from the other party paying direct to my insurance handling it.

It is too soon to know if the subrogation will be successful.

Reactions: yrralis1
Discussion starter · #169 ·
I had emailed my insurance claims adjuster:
“In addition to Me (& Progressive) being fully compensated for Penske bill & my 2 Lyft rides, I wanted to ask you about a diminished value claim.

I know I cannot make such a claim against Progressive/my own insurance but, I think I can make this claim against the at fault party &/or their insurance.

How do I calculate the amount of diminished value?”

He did not reply to this.

B4 I contact the subrogation Dept. next week to ask again about DM, I want to get an idea of what the $ amount would be.
Complicating this & perhaps making DM not possible or very low is my Macan age 7+ years & I have had 2 previous body repairs.
Rear ended by uninsured driver 1 year ago & hitting fallen tree during rain/wind storm in 2020.
My Google searches re calculating DM all just lead to some law firm wanting you to hire them to handle DM.

The reason I asked is because my case went to subrogation and she and her insurance company were found at fault (she admitted to my carrier she didn't see me!). My rates will not go up and it will not count against my rates going forward. Verbally told. So now it's a simple situation of what small monetary amount I will be impacted when I sell or trade. As an example, I love playing around on Carguru. It's something old people do... In many ways it's educational automotive-wise. I digress. Went I search for my Porsche for comparison reasons, it allows you the option of not displaying flood damage, and certain options. But also allows you to not display damaged vehicles. My resale visibility is narrowed. It's gonna show up by someone asking for all service and maintenance records, on Carfax and Autocheck. This is even though my carrier is okay with their end result. But in all this, what does it translate to monetarily compared to what it will cost to bring suit and my time?

So I asked...

Thanks,
It would not have been repaired sooner since the day after the accident, I drive to Penske to get the preliminary estimate & the repair planner knew I wanted an appt. ASAP to do the repairs. A couple days later I got my appt, weeks away. Well b4 the change from the other party paying direct to my insurance handling it.

It is too soon to know if the subrogation will be successful.
They are having trouble getting parts. My dealership has an Audi. It’s been in the shop for several months with what would normally be a small repair. The collision center can’t get the part. I’m glad you got it fixed. At least you can start enjoying your car again.

Discussion starter · #172 ·
They are having trouble getting parts. My dealership has an Audi. It’s been in the shop for several months with what would normally be a small repair. The collision center can’t get the part. I’m glad you got it fixed. At least you can start enjoying your car again.
In my case, no.

I had asked my repair planner to order the 2 parts he said he would need based on the preliminary estimate, weeks b4 my Feb appt. To my surprise, he did!
So when I brought my car in to be repaired, he already had those parts & lucky for me, no additional parts were needed.

The parts probably were available at the Porsche dealership; rear door handle & the body colored rear door blade. (Probably these are not pre-painted)

The reason he gave for the delay for the car not being ready F but the next W was he had a technician out. So, the car was not reassembled as planned, which delayed it going for the 4 wheel alignment. That delayed the PPF installation which was only the cargo bumper top strip & the rear quarter panel thick PPF in front of the rear wheel. He also had 80 Porsches in for repair & usually has only 40.
The place is huge.

At least that is my understanding based on what he told me. (But the tech was out only 1 working day yet my repair took 3 extra days. )
I didn’t question this, since I was happy to finally get my car back & the work was excellent. I also had to deal with the tire defect issue x4.

How do I calculate the amount of diminished value?”

[/QUOTE]
The only time I saw a witness testify to diminished value in Court was a salesman with considerable experience selling that brand of vehicle. I would start by asking the person in charge of buying used Posches at your local dealership. Then consult the manager of used car sales if not the same person.
Perhaps the folks at Carfax have a data base worth consulting?
Good Luck!

There are online formulas to determine this. A possibility is to find other vehicles that match yours with and without damage. Get an average difference. This might help validate DV.

Fyi .... The amount of a diminished value claim would be the excess, if any, of the value of the car in its condition immediately before the accident (taking into account all relevant factors including age, mileage, condition, damage from the two prior accidents, as repaired) over the value of the car in its condition after the latest damage and repair. There are appraisal companies that can provide these values, but the cost would I expect would be at least $500 or so. It seems a friendly P dealer may have a member of its team who regularly appraises used cars provide this information. With that, a decision could then be made whether to proceed. Your insurance company has no obligation to advance this claim on your behalf, so you would need to do it yourself against the at fault party's insurance company. You need to substantiate your claimed amount so hopefully a dealer would provide the above to you in writing. You may need to "push" the at fault party's insurance company into action. Depending on the amounts involved small claims court may be an option. The maximum claim amount for small claims in Arizona is $3,500. No attorneys are involved unless both parties agree (and you don't). I believe the filing fee to start an action there is around $55.00. Arizona has a website devoted to small claims court, which includes procedures, sample forms, etc. Some counties may also, Maricopa does I believe. One would normally bring the action in the small claims court for the county in which they reside. Actions are very frequently settled before cases are heard.

Discussion starter · #177 ·
RE new tires to replace all 4 that are either cut on block tread near shoulder or have chunk near shoulder.

Discount Tire visit was interesting last week.
The guy I had spoken to on the phone, called over "another employee" to help him assess. That guy seem to want to look for reasons to deny the claim entirely! First he was saying these cuts are cosmetic and not covered under the Discount Tire "certificate." (Road hazard warranty)

Regarding the one that had a chunk/chunking, he was saying that he doesn't think Michelin will take that back.

I had proof from the alignment, done 2 days prior, that the car was and is in alignment. There were no alignment adjustments that needed to be made. The tires were properly inflated.

So, to replace my 4 Michelin Latitude Sport 3 (N) tires with 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV (NE0) tires here are costs:

On my initial phone call, before I told them that I was going to claim warranty coverage, I was given a price of $1,434… Out the door.

Discount Tire owns Tire Rack and so they charge the same price as Tire Rack which is: $328.82 for the rear tire and $284.54 for the front tire.

After that first inspection, I was given a total price of $914.80… Out the door. This was with only 1 tire covered under the road hazard warranty and a second tire covered under Michelin defect warranty… Prorated.

(The way DT pro rates tires seems to be very much skewed towards charging you as much as possible. They seem to reduce the actual tread depth remaining and the formula they use does not seem fair.)

I did not accept this offer and let them know that I thought that it seems like it was a waste of money to buy 4 certificates for road hazard coverage if they're really not going to honor it. I made the point that absent misalignment or improper inflation, tires should not have cuts that could grow/migrate into the belts and they certainly should not chunk!

So, I said I was going to read the fine print in their road hazard policy and also contact DT corporate as well as contact Michelin and see what they say about the damage on these tires.

A couple of days later I got a call saying they want to make sure I am a happy customer and they have a new offer. New offer was replacing 2 tires under the road hazard/certificate which means N/C for the tire or the installation and a 3rd tire will be covered under the Michelin warranty at the prorated basis and I pay for the 4th tire. Bottom line was $516.39 out the door.

I accepted this offer, even though I think all 4 tires should've been covered. Since they were going to cover 2 tires under the road hazard certificate, I decided to buy 4 new certificates for an extra $246. So my total will now be $782.19.

New tires are on order, direct from Michelin. I also made sure they knew that I was going to ask the DOT date to make sure it was a recent date rather than getting old/new stock, that has a manufacture date of 1 or 2 years ago.

Having multiple cars, I only put on 5 or 6,000 miles per year on my Macan. I certainly don't want to have to replace tires, due to age, before I use up the tread life!

Reactions: Robert M
Discussion starter · #178 ·
Updates:

Today I finally got 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV (NE0) tires.
I rejected the 1st ones that had DOT date from 2021.
DT ordered direct from Michelin.
DOT date: Rears both 0822 (3rd wk Feb), LF: 3722, RF: 2222
Rears 1 yr. 1 month old at installation
RF 1st wk June ~ 10 months old at installation
LF Mid Sept ~ 6.5 months old at installation
Newest I was able to get. These have 20K mile tread-life warranty but, only 50% (10K) due to staggered tires.
In 5 years when the rears are 6 yrs. old, I will likely have put 25K miles on them. S/B OK.

Re Subrogation of the parking lot sideswipe with note left & police report & promises to pay by at fault party:

Their insurance company has not returned multiple phone calls & messages from my insurance Subrogation Dept.
Next step is either arbitration of lawsuit, per my Insurance rep.

Reactions: Robert M
Updates:

Today I finally got 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV (NE0) tires.
I rejected the 1st ones that had DOT date from 2021.
DT ordered direct from Michelin.
DOT date: Rears both 0822 (3rd wk Feb), LF: 3722, RF: 2222
Rears 1 yr. 1 month old at installation
RF 1st wk June ~ 10 months old at installation
LF Mid Sept ~ 6.5 months old at installation
Newest I was able to get. These have 20K mile tread-life warranty but, only 50% (10K) due to staggered tires.
In 5 years when the rears are 6 yrs. old, I will likely have put 25K miles on them. S/B OK.

Re Subrogation of the parking lot sideswipe with note left & police report & promises to pay by at fault party:

Their insurance company has not returned multiple phone calls & messages from my insurance Subrogation Dept.
Next step is either arbitration of lawsuit, per my Insurance rep.
That’s insane that they are allowed to stock them when they are that old. I usually buy my tires online and keep an eye on how old they are, I don’t think I was ever sold a tire more than eight months old.

It’s weird that the insurance company isn’t taking the call, but that seems to be more common these days. I am not a lawyer, but I have had to deal with insurance companies in the past and part of it seems to be that they will do this when they think that your repair cost too much and they can go to arbitration and wind up paying less.

When my wife’s Jeep was wrecked, the at fault party’s insurance, Geico, just decided to stop taking calls. They didn’t feel like the ZF transmission was damaged in the accident when the SUV clearly had trouble shifting afterwards, and they insisted that we would go through Chrysler warranty rather than having them pay for it.

There was also a diminished value claim that we filed afterwards, which turned into a total **** show.

161 - 180 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.