Porsche Macan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 122 Posts

· Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
No, I called 911.
That is what you are supposed to do here in AZ I had looked it up last year.

• Wow
Reactions: jsind17 and TJMacan

· Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Preliminary Estimate $7-10K !

:eek:

· Registered
2,745 Posts
That sucks, hope it gets fixed ASAP.

If this were my vehicle, note or no note, I would have reported this to the police (going down to the station and filling out the correct form), then call my insurance company since that's how they prefer it handled. I pay for insurance, so let them handle it.

My only worries should be how fast will it get fixed, and acquiring substitute transportation while it's in the body shop.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
Preliminary Estimate $7-10K !

:eek:
This is crazy. I added my 16yo to my Macan and my wife’s Mercedes insurance. The premiums went through the roof. I then added him to his new CRV and it was very normal. I called to ask the insurance company why the 15 Macan and the 15 Mercedes were so much more than the 23 Honda. Her response: Porsche and Mercedes are very expensive to fix it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

· Registered
2,745 Posts
This is crazy. I added my 16yo to my Macan and my wife’s Mercedes insurance. The premiums went through the roof. I then added him to his new CRV and it was very normal. I called to ask the insurance company why the 15 Macan and the 15 Mercedes were so much more than the 23 Honda. Her response: Porsche and Mercedes are very expensive to fix it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
My wife's 2020 GLC AMG43 coupe was always a bit more to insure than my more expensive 2020 Macan GTS....in just about every section.

No idea why, and we both have good records.

· Super Moderator
4,657 Posts
My wife's 2020 GLC AMG43 coupe was always a bit more to insure than my more expensive 2020 Macan GTS....in just about every section.

No idea why, and we both have good records.

I have been told it's based on the insurance company's profit/loss/claims experience with the specific vehicle - as well as driving
history, place garaged, miles driven per year, etc.

· Registered
3 Posts
That really sucks! I once caught a person, hitting a car and running in a parking lot. So did a Publix employee. We got the tag, he called the cops, and they had the woman come back to the scene because it is a hit-and-run.

I wouldn’t give a free pass for youthful immaturity. She’s an idiot. At least she left a note. I never had anyone. Leave me a note. It’s usually just a damaged car and no one in sight.

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you get it resolved. You did everything right.
She is not an idiot. She made a mistake and owned up to it. Be nice...it isn't that difficult.

· Registered
99 Posts
I returned to my car after ~ 2 hrs. (In a Phoenix Parks parking lot) to see damage to the driver side! (See photo)

I had parked in the farthest away spot from the trailhead. My passenger side was only 1 inch from the curb so, I was only exposed on the driver side. Plenty of space between me and the car next to me. More space than usual since I was all the way to my right.

The person did leave a note on my windshield. This is the text with phone number and name redacted.
—————————————————————————————
Hello,

I was pulling into a parking space and my side mirror left a scratch on the side of your car.

I am so sorry.

Please contact my father at xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best wishes,
xxxxxxx
———————————————————————————-
I called 911 and I was able to get a police officer to come out. I thought they might because this was not private property, being a City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation parking lot.

I was going to wait till I got home to call the number so I could record the call. (I was wondering if it was a fake phone number)
I was also concerned that even if it was a real phone number, the fact that the person described the damage as "a scratch" would lead to them not giving me their full name, driver license number, insurance company policy number, etc.

The officer convinced me to let him call the phone number and talk to the person and try to get all this information. When I expressed my concerns about wanting to record the call, he told me he's recording me right now with his body cam and he will record the audio of the phone call as well.

He was successful in getting the information!

The woman who hit my car is a college student flying back to the east coast the next day. Her father owns the car (Mercedes) & has the insurance. He confirmed that his daughter hit my car to the officer. I have an “Incident Report.” The Office said this s/b as good as if he was on the scene & interviewed both parties.

Today, Friday, I took my car to Penske collision, a Porsche Certified Collision Center, and will have a preliminary estimate soon. I was told the driver side rear door handle with the big scratch on it (not in the picture I attached) will need to be replaced because it's not that expensive and it's better to have only one coat of paint on it rather than to have to repaint my existing handle, which may end up having too thick a layer of paint for the touch sensors to work correctly for unlocking unlocking the door.

The long horizontal scratch/dent should be able to be repaired without having to cut out that panel and weld on a new panel. The bumper will be removed in order to repair the paint transfer and scraping on the wheel arch.

The father of the college student said he owns a company and he will be in town for a few months. I did have a message from a woman who was calling on behalf of this father (She works in his company) but, have not been able to speak with her yet.

Hopefully, the collision shop will be able to work directly with their insurance and I can cancel the claim I started last night with my insurance.

My Macan was immaculate b4 this damage!

View attachment 264842
Now you will have an accident on the Carfax as well! Boo!

· Registered
2018 Macan Base and a 2023 GT Silver 718 Boxster Base
13 Posts
No matter how minor it is law to not leave an accident without calling the police. Exchanging phone numbers and little love letters are not an actual police report with both parties on the scene .
Per Arizona Insurance Law:

When someone hits a parked car, they are responsible for making contact with the vehicle owner. They must either wait for the owner to return to their car or they must leave a note with their personal contact information, insurance information and a description of what happened.

There is ZERO requirement for the offending party to wait in perpetuity for the vehicle owner to return. The offending party here followed the law and left a note stating what happened, their information, and the information about how to reach them. What if the vehicle owner had left on a multi-day hike? Is the offending party required to camp next to the damaged vehicle for several days for the owner to return? No. They left a note which is wha the law requires if you are unable to locate the vehicle's owner.

Please don't spread false information and get others worked up for nothing.

· Registered
3 Posts
Look at the damage on that car. This wasn’t just a little bump. She clearly wasn’t paying attention. I am appalled at the replies on this thread. It’s as if you have more sympathy for the college student than the guy who had his car hit. You’re ready to hand her an award for being honest instead of holding her to full responsibility. Perhaps that’s why some of these private school college students behave like such babies. Their Boomer parents are cuddling them, even though they are young adults.

It doesn’t matter what I say. It doesn’t matter what the OP told you the cop said.. wife's, firm, represented a client who was sleeping in the car that was hit in a parking lot . The person left. The person didn’t realize there was a person sleeping in the car. Cameras are everywhere and they caught up with him. That’s big trouble!

I can hardly wait to hear the number on the damage. Not to mention the father of this kid has damage to his car as well. All of this is so unnecessary.

Some of you say that it’s more than enough to not wait an hour if need be. Guess what? Sometimes life gives a schedule change. It’s part of being an adult. I feel so sorry for the original poster. That’s really what the thread should be about.
Oh good grief. It's a car. It's not like she ran over a baby. Any daily driver is susceptible to damage...that's the risk you take.

· Registered
2,914 Posts
From what I see, the girl did the right thing. As the law required. The responding cop who said otherwise was wrong to say law was broken. They think their words are absolute and that's why we see cops breaking the law all the time. Bottom line, repair on a Porsche is just outrageous.

· Premium Member
4,641 Posts
So was it cheaper to buy a new car for him/her and insure it rather than adding him/her to the two existing cars?

· Registered
4,526 Posts
So was it cheaper to buy a new car for him/her and insure it rather than adding him/her to the two existing cars?
@wwahl I think you didn’t understand what I said.
2015 Macan S:
Me and my wife only: $1,600/year
Adding my 16yo son to the policy: $3,400/year

2015 Mercedes GL450
Me and my wife only: $1,500year
Adding my 16yo son to the policy: $3,200/year

2023 Honda CRV
Me, my wife and 16yo son: $1,200/year

I think the insurance companies see a huge liability having a 16yo driving cars that are expensive to fix if something happens while he is delicious. Thus, it makes sense to take my son out of the Macan and Mercedes insurance and keep him only on his Honda.

· Registered
2,914 Posts
@wwahl I think you didn’t understand what I said.
2015 Macan S:
Me and my wife only: $1,600/year
Adding my 16yo son to the policy: $3,400/year

2015 Mercedes GL450
Me and my wife only: $1,500year
Adding my 16yo son to the policy: $3,200/year

2023 Honda CRV
Me, my wife and 16yo son: $1,200/year

I think the insurance companies see a huge liability having a 16yo driving cars that are expensive to fix if something happens while he is delicious. Thus, it makes sense to take my son out of the Macan and Mercedes insurance and keep him only on his Honda.
So are you paying $1,600 + $1,500 + $1,200 now with him added on your plan for all 3 vehicles?

Edit -
Or is it $3,400 + $3,200 + $1,200 for all three?

· Premium Member
4,641 Posts
My concept was to cut him off the two fancy pants cars all together, meaning he can't use those. Then buy him a cheaper utility young person's car and hold his use to that. My question is would that be a cheaper way to go? Maybe I missed something here, but that is my question.

· Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Per Arizona Insurance Law:

When someone hits a parked car, they are responsible for making contact with the vehicle owner. They must either wait for the owner to return to their car or they must leave a note with their personal contact information, insurance information and a description of what happened.

There is ZERO requirement for the offending party to wait in perpetuity for the vehicle owner to return. The offending party here followed the law and left a note stating what happened, their information, and the information about how to reach them. What if the vehicle owner had left on a multi-day hike? Is the offending party required to camp next to the damaged vehicle for several days for the owner to return? No. They left a note which is wha the law requires if you are unable to locate the vehicle's owner.

Please don't spread false information and get others worked up for nothing.
At fault driver did NOT leave insurance information. Did NOT leave personal contact information. Left phone # of her father. Also a misstatement of what damage she did ("a scratch.")

I am relieved she left actual contact information that hopefully will result in her father paying for the total damage.

IMO, the correct course of action after hitting an unoccupied parked car is to CALL THE POLICE!
Give the Officer all the information & Officer will create an incident or accident report.
Then the at fault party can leave. No need to wait for victim to return.
The officer can leave report # in a note along with police phone # for getting copy of the report. Officer can also contact the registered owner if they have yet to return.

The police report will contain name, drivers license number, address, VIN number, insurance company, policy number, description of damage, accident... everything.

As mentioned, the at fault driver can wait, in their locked car, for the officer to arrive, so they will not be in any danger.

When you damage another persons vehicle or property, there is nothing wrong with you being inconvenienced. Your inconvenience is nothing compared to the inconvenience of the person whose property/car has been damaged by you.

While I hope my car is fully restored, the amount of my time this incident has consumed... is considerable.
The extent of the damage is much more than I would expect for a minor scrape in a parking lot with normal size parking spaces. I suspect this was a distracted driver. Perhaps texting or even alcohol or substance-abuse. As mentioned before, she at least made a good attempt to do the right thing and I am relieved.

I do not know what would have happened had I not called the police afterwards. If I had just waited till I got home and called the father, would I have been able to obtain insurance information VIN number, drivers license number and all that other inf. the officer obtained for his report?

I have no way of knowing for certain but, I really doubt it. I suspect I would just be told: "Here's my name, here's my phone number, send me the estimate and I'll send you a check." Then when they see that the estimate is 7 to $10,000 and their daughter has said that it was 'a scratch' they very well could have accused me of inflating the damage and not paid a penny.

By me calling the police and having them call the father and fill out the incident report was my best chance of being fairly compensated.

• Helpful
Reactions: yrralis1 and grim

· Registered
2023 Macan GTS
15,251 Posts
At fault driver did NOT leave insurance information. Did NOT leave personal contact information. Left phone # of her father. Also a misstatement of what damage she did ("a scratch.")

I am relieved she left actual contact information that hopefully will result in her father paying for the total damage.

IMO, the correct course of action after hitting an unoccupied parked car is to CALL THE POLICE!
Give the Officer all the information & Officer will create an incident or accident report.
Then the at fault party can leave. No need to wait for victim to return.
The officer can leave report # in a note along with police phone # for getting copy of the report. Officer can also contact the registered owner if they have yet to return.

The police report will contain name, drivers license number, address, VIN number, insurance company, policy number, description of damage, accident... everything.

As mentioned, the at fault driver can wait, in their locked car, for the officer to arrive, so they will not be in any danger.

When you damage another persons vehicle or property, there is nothing wrong with you being inconvenienced. Your inconvenience is nothing compared to the inconvenience of the person whose property/car has been damaged by you.

While I hope my car is fully restored, the amount of my time this incident has consumed... is considerable.
The extent of the damage is much more than I would expect for a minor scrape in a parking lot with normal size parking spaces. I suspect this was a distracted driver. Perhaps texting or even alcohol or substance-abuse. As mentioned before, she at least made a good attempt to do the right thing and I am relieved.

I do not know what would have happened had I not called the police afterwards. If I had just waited till I got home and called the father, would I have been able to obtain insurance information VIN number, drivers license number and all that other inf. the officer obtained for his report?

I have no way of knowing for certain but, I really doubt it. I suspect I would just be told: "Here's my name, here's my phone number, send me the estimate and I'll send you a check." Then when they see that the estimate is 7 to $10,000 and their daughter has said that it was 'a scratch' they very well could have accused me of inflating the damage and not paid a penny.

By me calling the police and having them call the father and fill out the incident report was my best chance of being fairly compensated.
Like In sais in my first post - you did everything right . Awful that you suffered through this.

· Registered
1,234 Posts

I feel your pain for the car for the car being damaged but that is not what the law requires. The statute does not require a call to the police or a description of the damage.

She did not leave her name and address and her father's name and address. But she left the note that enabled you to make contact with her father, and it's now in the hands of the insurance companies. My guess is no DA would attempt to prosecute this. They have much bigger fish to fry, and while she did not comply with the precise requirements of the statute, she complied with the spirit of the statute. If she wanted to evade responsibility, she would have left without leaving the note. Intent is significant in the eyes of the law.

Again, I hope your car is repaired and your losses are covered by the father's insurance company, including diminished value.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts