Porsche Macan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

· Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned to my car after ~ 2 hrs. (In a Phoenix Parks parking lot) to see damage to the driver side! (See photo)

I had parked in the farthest away spot from the trailhead. My passenger side was only 1 inch from the curb so, I was only exposed on the driver side. Plenty of space between me and the car next to me. More space than usual since I was all the way to my right.

The person did leave a note on my windshield. This is the text with phone number and name redacted.
—————————————————————————————
Hello,

I was pulling into a parking space and my side mirror left a scratch on the side of your car.

I am so sorry.

Please contact my father at xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best wishes,
xxxxxxx
———————————————————————————-
I called 911 and I was able to get a police officer to come out. I thought they might because this was not private property, being a City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation parking lot.

I was going to wait till I got home to call the number so I could record the call. (I was wondering if it was a fake phone number)
I was also concerned that even if it was a real phone number, the fact that the person described the damage as "a scratch" would lead to them not giving me their full name, driver license number, insurance company policy number, etc.

The officer convinced me to let him call the phone number and talk to the person and try to get all this information. When I expressed my concerns about wanting to record the call, he told me he's recording me right now with his body cam and he will record the audio of the phone call as well.

He was successful in getting the information!

The woman who hit my car is a college student flying back to the east coast the next day. Her father owns the car (Mercedes) & has the insurance. He confirmed that his daughter hit my car to the officer. I have an “Incident Report.” The Office said this s/b as good as if he was on the scene & interviewed both parties.

Today, Friday, I took my car to Penske collision, a Porsche Certified Collision Center, and will have a preliminary estimate soon. I was told the driver side rear door handle with the big scratch on it (not in the picture I attached) will need to be replaced because it's not that expensive and it's better to have only one coat of paint on it rather than to have to repaint my existing handle, which may end up having too thick a layer of paint for the touch sensors to work correctly for unlocking unlocking the door.

The long horizontal scratch/dent should be able to be repaired without having to cut out that panel and weld on a new panel. The bumper will be removed in order to repair the paint transfer and scraping on the wheel arch.

The father of the college student said he owns a company and he will be in town for a few months. I did have a message from a woman who was calling on behalf of this father (She works in his company) but, have not been able to speak with her yet.

Hopefully, the collision shop will be able to work directly with their insurance and I can cancel the claim I started last night with my insurance.

My Macan was immaculate b4 this damage!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
250 Posts
I returned to my car after ~ 2 hrs. (In a Phoenix Parks parking lot) to see damage to the driver side! (See photo)

I had parked in the farthest away spot from the trailhead. My passenger side was only 1 inch from the curb so, I was only exposed on the driver side. Plenty of space between me and the car next to me. More space than usual since I was all the way to my right.

The person did leave a note on my windshield. This is the text with phone number and name redacted.
—————————————————————————————
Hello,

I was pulling into a parking space and my side mirror left a scratch on the side of your car.

I am so sorry.

Please contact my father at xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best wishes,
xxxxxxx
———————————————————————————-
I called 911 and I was able to get a police officer to come out. I thought they might because this was not private property, being a City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation parking lot.

I was going to wait till I got home to call the number so I could record the call. (I was wondering if it was a fake phone number)
I was also concerned that even if it was a real phone number, the fact that the person described the damage as "a scratch" would lead to them not giving me their full name, driver license number, insurance company policy number, etc.

The officer convinced me to let him call the phone number and talk to the person and try to get all this information. When I expressed my concerns about wanting to record the call, he told me he's recording me right now with his body cam and he will record the audio of the phone call as well.

He was successful in getting the information!

The woman who hit my car is a college student flying back to the east coast the next day. Her father owns the car (Mercedes) & has the insurance. He confirmed that his daughter hit my car to the officer. I have an “Incident Report.” The Office said this s/b as good as if he was on the scene & interviewed both parties.

Today, Friday, I took my car to Penske collision, a Porsche Certified Collision Center, and will have a preliminary estimate soon. I was told the driver side rear door handle with the big scratch on it (not in the picture I attached) will need to be replaced because it's not that expensive and it's better to have only one coat of paint on it rather than to have to repaint my existing handle, which may end up having too thick a layer of paint for the touch sensors to work correctly for unlocking unlocking the door.

The long horizontal scratch/dent should be able to be repaired without having to cut out that panel and weld on a new panel. The bumper will be removed in order to repair the paint transfer and scraping on the wheel arch.

The father of the college student said he owns a company and he will be in town for a few months. I did have a message from a woman who was calling on behalf of this father (She works in his company) but, have not been able to speak with her yet.

Hopefully, the collision shop will be able to work directly with their insurance and I can cancel the claim I started last night with my insurance.

My Macan was immaculate b4 this damage!

View attachment 264842
sorry to hear, big bummer. But at least the woman left the note to take care of it

· Registered
2023 Macan GTS
15,272 Posts
That really sucks! I once caught a person, hitting a car and running in a parking lot. So did a Publix employee. We got the tag, he called the cops, and they had the woman come back to the scene because it is a hit-and-run.

I wouldn’t give a free pass for youthful immaturity. She’s an idiot. At least she left a note. I never had anyone. Leave me a note. It’s usually just a damaged car and no one in sight.

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you get it resolved. You did everything right.

· Registered
59 Posts
It’s very impressive that she apologized and was honest enough to leave a note. Quality person. She is not an “idiot”. She is a young driver who made a mistake. If anybody who makes a mistake driving (especially a young person) is an idiot then we all are idiots.

it’s just a car and will be fixed like new. We judge others on their actions and Judge ourselves on our intentions. That’s where many problems rise. Have mercy on people and you may be shown mercy.

· Registered
2023 Macan GTS
15,272 Posts
It’s very impressive that she apologized and was honest enough to leave a note. Quality person. She is not an “idiot”. She is a young driver who made a mistake. If anybody who makes a mistake driving (especially a young person) is an idiot then we all are idiots.

it’s just a car and will be fixed like new. We judge others on their actions and Judge ourselves on our intentions. That’s where many problems rise. Have mercy on people and you may be shown mercy.
She's not an idiot because she made a mistake . She made a bigger mistake leaving the scene of an accident . That should be a given to ANY person with a key to a car and a license .

Had he just gone home and called her its his word against hers and no police documentation. He did everything right .

· Registered
2023 Macan GTS
15,272 Posts

Heres the law in Arizona (his state) . Arizona Law On Parking Lot Accidents - Cooper Law Partners

From link -
If you do not stop after you hit a parked vehicle, you can be subject to a class 3 misdemeanor. Although a class 3 misdemeanor is the lowest level misdemeanor in Arizona, it is still an uncomfortable financial and legal headache.
A level 3 misdemeanor can result in up to 30 days in jail. Not only that, but it can cost you fines up to $500 plus surcharges, and one year of probation.
While the chances that you will have to do jail time are unlikely, each of these violations costs 6 points on your license.

· Registered
431 Posts
Sounds to me she needs driving lessons but she really absorbed excellent character lessons from her parents. Few would complain that she left the scene after leaving a confession and solid contact information so the damage could be fixed.
Its a shame the incident occurred but the outcome and aggravation could have been a lot worse if she had been the kind of irresponsible a$$hole that‘s all too common in today’s world!
Count your blessings. The damage will be fixed and forgotten but the positive act of leaving that note will be remembered for a long time.

· Registered
2021 Macan
261 Posts
Sorry to read about the damage. But a ”scratch”, caused by a “side mirror”?!!

Reactions: santastico

· Registered
2023 Macan GTS
15,272 Posts
Sounds to me she needs driving lessons but she really absorbed excellent character lessons from her parents. Few would complain that she left the scene after leaving a confession and solid contact information so the damage could be fixed.
Its a shame the incident occurred but the outcome and aggravation could have been a lot worse if she had been the kind of irresponsible a$$hole that‘s all too common in today’s world!
Count your blessings. The damage will be fixed and forgotten but the positive act of leaving that note will be remembered for a long time.
No matter how minor it is law to not leave an accident without calling the police. Exchanging phone numbers and little love letters are not an actual police report with both parties on the scene .

· Registered
463 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car. As others have noted, thankfully she left a note that actually had her correct contact information. Parking lots are the worst. It amazes me that one can park as close as possible to a curb, leaving significant space on the other side and still it’s not enough.
Or park at the very farthest end of the parking lot, with absolutely no vehicles around. Only to return and find some idiot parked two inches from your door.

· Registered
2023 Macan GTS
15,272 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car. As others have noted, thankfully she left a note that actually had her correct contact information. Parking lots are the worst. It amazes me that one can park as close as possible to a curb, leaving significant space on the other side and still it’s not enough.
Or park at the very farthest end of the parking lot, with absolutely no vehicles around. Only to return and find some idiot parked two inches from your door.
Different topic than an actual damage . An accident involving speeding is an immediate police report . Its a reason to try to be mature on public roads . Either way traffic citation is not an actual collision ,

· Registered
59 Posts
She's not an idiot because she made a mistake . She made a bigger mistake leaving the scene of an accident . That should be a given to ANY person with a key to a car and a license .

Had he just gone home and called her its his word against hers and no police documentation. He did everything right .
😆. So she is supposed to wait around for hours because she scuffed his bumper lol. nobody in their right mind would do that. Here in Michigan it is accepted practice to put a not on the car and settle it with insurance later.
I would never want my daughter waiting around for a strange angry man to show up and call her an idiot. She did the right thing. You obviously don’t have any kids or daughters. i hope the next time you make a driving mistake that you are shown no mercy as you don’t seem to show any to others.

· Registered
59 Posts
No matter how minor it is law to not leave an accident without calling the police. Exchanging phone numbers and little love letters are not an actual police report with both parties on the scene .
No daughter of mine would ever stay around to face an angry man because she scratched his “baby”. She did the exact correct thing that people told her to do. She should be concerned over her safety first. And around here in a parking lot nobody in their right mind is going to wait around for hours for a scratch.

· Registered
2023 Macan GTS
15,272 Posts
No daughter of mine would ever stay around to face an angry man because she scratched his “baby”. She did the exact correct thing that people told her to do. She should be concerned over her safety first. And around here in a parking lot nobody in their right mind is going to wait around for hours for a scratch.
First off he didnt sound angry and calling the police means she has support if her safety is what concerns you as her parent . Its part of being an adult !!! She's not a child and even. a minor with a drivers license has signed up to follow the laws . You dont leave an accident !!!

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. It's amazing the woman didn't just leave. Hopefully, you'll get it repaired properly and life will go on. Also, based on some quick reading, I believe Arizona does recognize a diminished value claim, which would be paid by the other party's insurance company.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Here's a blurb from another law firm in Arizona.

MDK LAW GROUP

What Constitutes a Hit and Run Accident in Arizona?
Request Free Consultation

Damage to a Parked Car
Drivers who collide with a parked car and cause damage are required to attempt to locate the owner of the damaged vehicle. If they cannot do so, they must leave a conspicuous note on the other vehicle with their name and address. Failure to do so is a class 3 misdemeanor in Arizona.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.