Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post since I've just had the car about 2 weeks. So hopefully I am following proper protocol for the site.

Big rain today in New England - I go to my car and noticed a wet spot in the passenger seat (just a small area). The roof was not left tilted open. It appears to be dripping through the visor area. Naturally I will be taking this in to the dealership - but wondered if this issue has come up before. I did notice there were some instances of the issue mentioned on Reddit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am enjoying the car otherwise. But not used to having problems (other vechicles are Lexus).

·
Registered
441 Posts
That leak should not happen, it never happened in my car, although I had other issues. Sucks big time to have a brand new car with a problem, I understand. I would think that the dealer will be able to make an adjustment to make this right for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That leak should not happen, it never happened in my car, although I had other issues. Sucks big time to have a brand new car with a problem, I understand. I would think that the dealer will be able to make an adjustment to make this right for you. Good luck.
Thanks, my salesman seems to be responding quickly and arranging for a loaner while they figure it out.

This kind of feels like getting that first scratch.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Leaks are caused by debris that clog the drainage system. I once had that in a BMW so the headliner required removal and the interior smelled like liquid cement for weeks.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I don’t recall anyone else reporting a sunroof leak here before. But it was bound to happen after tens of thousands of cars rolling off the assembly line, too bad it was yours.

You mentioned that the water was appearing by the visors. Is it possible that there is an issue with the seal at the top of the windshield rather than the sunroof?

Reactions: wwahl

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t recall anyone else reporting a sunroof leak here before. But it was bound to happen after tens of thousands of cars rolling off the assembly line, too bad it was yours.

You mentioned that the water was appearing by the visors. Is it possible that there is an issue with the seal at the top of the windshield rather than the sunroof?
Shark that could be the case.

They are picking it up today or tomorrow - so I'll let you know how the story ends.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
The reason I ask about the windshield is I've seen that happen on other cars...where the windshield was incorrectly installed at the factory.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I had a sun roof on my old RX-350 that I never opened. The Lexus was extremely reliable but bland of course.
I did not opt for the pano on my S.
Good luck with the fix.Let us know what your dealer did to remedy the leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I received my Macan back today (late morning). The dealership had given me a loaner (Macan) so that was nice. But then it goes bad.

It then proceeds to rain very hard. I go to my car at the end of the day, and the seat is wet again. You could see a bead of water on the visor.

Do I have the option to request a new car at some point if they can't fix the vehicle? Can anyone offer some advice in how to handle the matter. It seems like when something like this is not an obvious and easy fix - it will never be fixed at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I received my Macan back today (late morning). The dealership had given me a loaner (Macan) so that was nice. But then it goes bad.

It then proceeds to rain very hard. I go to my car at the end of the day, and the seat is wet again. You could see a bead of water on the visor.

Do I have the option to request a new car at some point if they can't fix the vehicle? Can anyone offer some advice in how to handle the matter. It seems like when something like this is not an obvious and easy fix - it will never be fixed at all.
If you're in Mass start looking into lemon laws

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Sounds like you have a problem with the dealer. There simply is no way that a water leak is going to be that difficult to diagnose. Not only that, after the repair is complete, obviously it’s not very difficult for them to test to see if they got it right. Clearly they did not even bother to do that. You have every right to expect a better service experience than that from a Porsche dealer.

Which dealer is this? If they don’t have the ability to diagnose a water leak correctly, how in the world are they going to diagnose something more complicated?

What does the service receipt indicate about the repair they did to your car?

I completely understand that some problems are difficult to diagnose, and that sometimes a dealer might not get it right the first time. It happens. But to not be able to correctly repair a water leak is inexcusable in my book.

Reactions: TD Pcar

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
Sounds like you have a problem with the dealer. There simply is no way that a water leak is going to be that difficult to diagnose. Not only that, after the repair is complete, obviously it’s not very difficult for them to test to see if they got it right. Clearly they did not even bother to do that. You have every right to expect a better service experience than that from a Porsche dealer.

Which dealer is this? If they don’t have the ability to diagnose a water leak correctly, how in the world are they going to diagnose something more complicated?

What does the service receipt indicate about the repair they did to your car?

I completely understand that some problems are difficult to diagnose, and that sometimes a dealer might not get it right the first time. It happens. But to not be able to correctly repair a water leak is inexcusable in my book.
Right on. What does it take to test? A hose connected to a water bib. Even a Porsche dealer could figure that one out. What is being displayed is total incompetence that has P. O. this Porsche customer to the point of getting rid of the car. If I was PNA I would all over this dealer and not in a good way.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had this happen on a 4 year old Japanese import with a large panoramic sunroof. A local independent all-purpose shop repaired it for $110 a year and a half ago and has been problem-free ever since. It was a yawner for them.

·
Registered
2017 Macan Turbo
70 Posts
Hi,

I have also experienced a leaky pano roof. My car is a Sept 2014 vehicle that I purchased used in Dec 2016. For the first year of ownership it did not leak at all, however almost on the anniversary date of my purchase it started leaking. First it showed up with the headliner wet on the driver's side just by the A-pillar, the A-pillar itself was wet and the water was dripping down the A-pillar into the side of the dash/fuse box and puddling on the floor by the heal of the dead peddle. The next couple of times same scenario and then it started doing the same on the passenger side as well. The next few times the water pooled in the same area, but the headliner and A-pillars were not wet, however, when I removed the fuse boxes I could see the water dripping from inside the A-pillars. I took it to the dealer many times and they could never get the roof to leak even after hours under the rain simulator and even using pressurized water. They have tried everything to get it to stop leaking and all the usual causes were not an issue in my case, no clogged drains, the roof properly closes, no damaged seals, etc. Anyway, the latests attempt to fix is that they have replaced the pano frame and tracking system. They received some intel from Porsche that there were a few issues with the Macan's leaking and that this fix has corrected the problem. Anyway, I pick my car up today so when we get the next rain I will let you know. I live on Vancouver Island BC, Canada in a very rainy area on the island. I also asked for a new car (lemon replacement), and the dealer received word from Porsche that in order to do that they would only consider it under normal trade conditions. I was not too happy about that, but at the same time do believe that the island dealer has done everything they possibly could to fix it and they have been great to deal with making special arrangements to get the car to/from my home (I live 4.5 hours drive from the dealer). Sorry for the lengthy response and I will follow-up after we get the next big rain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: going in for repair number 2. I was hoping they would get me in a new vehicle but that did not happen.

If they cannot fix it - this could could down to the three times law in the state I leased the vehicle.

This doesn't feel like the way a premium brand should handle this situation.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Update: going in for repair number 2. I was hoping they would get me in a new vehicle but that did not happen.

If they cannot fix it - this could could down to the three times law in the state I leased the vehicle.

This doesn't feel like the way a premium brand should handle this situation.

Get you in a new vehicle? As in a new loaner or are you wanting them to keep yours and give you a brand new Macan?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get you in a new vehicle? As in a new loaner or are you wanting them to keep yours and give you a brand new Macan?
I am in a loaner. My hope is that they get me into another new macan. I think it is reasonable to expect a brand new vehicle (2 weeks old) not leak when it rains. If they can completely fix it, and get rid of the stain on the seat I am fine keeping the car. But if they could fix it - I think they would have done so the first time when they had the car for a week.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I’m sorry you are having to go through with this. Yes, you would think a new ish car should not to be leaking.

Hopefully the dealership has spoken with the powers that be and can figure out a fix for you.

I know that this is comparing apples to oranges, but when my new Audi S5 convertible had a leak a month after i picked it up, all I had to do is call my favorite service advisor to tell him what was going on and send him a text of the picture i took of what it looked like inside. By the time I drove to the dealership he had a plan for what the guys needed to do to fix the leak for me. I didn’t even have to leave the car with them longer than half a day. So if Audi can fix my leak you would think Porsche would have a solution to this problem for you.

Fingers crossed that this visit will be your last visit for this issue and your beautiful Macan will be leak free.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts