Porsche Macan Forum banner

Caliper Colour

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Painting brakes?

I've read on other forums that there's such a thing as brake paint and you can paint the calipers of your brakes for visual appeal.

I never really thought about doing this until my wife told me that she really liked cars with the upgraded red brakes.

My Macan will arrive with the stock brakes and I'm wondering if I can get them professionally painted for the look she likes without the $8,000 upcharge for the S ;)

Has anyone done this? Good, neutral, terrible idea? Warranty impact?

·
Registered
332 Posts
My dealer's paint and body shop professionally painted my calipers for about $800 total, and they came out very nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Off the car ~ $750; on the car ~ $300. Looks great either way.

Do a forum and/or Google search. One group on MF, around Atlanta, got a super group buy for $250 per car.

It's also a fairly easy DIY project.

Good luck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Awesome @mrt5150. That looks great. A little pricey, but still 1/10th of the price of the Porsche carbon brakes, which I clearly don't need in a Macan S, but enough to make the wife happy. How long did you have to part with your Macan? Did they offer a loaner?

@fantom are those prices the dealer prices or 3rd party shops?

@MacWhte I probably wouldn't hang out with anyone superior or precious enough to know or care.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Dropping a Chevy engine into a 911 is to painting your calipers ss WW III is to a fist fight. A silly comparison IMHO.

You paid 70 large plus to Porsche for your car, so you, not they, nor anyone else makes the rules. Have fun with it.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
I've read on other forums that there's such a thing as brake paint and you can paint the calipers of your brakes for visual appeal....
Has anyone done this? Good, neutral, terrible idea? Warranty impact?
Painting brake calipers is a very common modification. Shopping around for the best price is the probably the hardest part. You can ask your dealership's service department if they have any recommended shops. You can also do a Google search for Porsche performance shops in your area, and call them for quotes and/or recommendations.

Some shops can turnaround the car in a day. Others may want the car overnight for the paint to dry, or for an additional layer of clear coat.
Like any modification, it just take some diligence to get it done. As the picture below shows, almost anything is possible. All the best to you!

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Awesome @mrt5150. That looks great. A little pricey, but still 1/10th of the price of the Porsche carbon brakes, which I clearly don't need in a Macan S, but enough to make the wife happy. How long did you have to part with your Macan? Did they offer a loaner?

Thanks, I'm very happy with the results. They had it for about 2 full days, but I also had them install my H&R lowering springs. And yes, they did provide a free loaner. One thing to note is that they completely removed the brake components and painted and baked all the individual components separately. Be careful who you hire to do this, as some places will just tape off the wheel wells and spray them with the brakes still on the rotor.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wow, what a difference. Today I had my calipers painted. They went from Macan S silver, to turbo red. It adds a subtle continuity from the tail lights across the wheels under the mahogany body. And I'm sure the car looks faster standing still. AUD$130 per wheel in Brisbane. Do you like it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,717 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
maybe a dumb question; did they paint them on the car? How long did they guarantee the paint to stay?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Anyone in NY/NJ/CT that can recommend a shop that can paint brake calipers? Love to get mine painted red. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Looks great definitely makes them stand out thru the wheels. ��

·
Registered
956 Posts
I always feel like red brake calipers clash with every exterior color except maybe red. One of the many reasons I did not buy the S model when I got a 911. I understand Porsche "branding" their performance levels with brake caliper colors but I can't understand why they do not offer brake calipers in black or body color for some upcharge. You can paint the stupid headlight washer nozzles in a contrasting color on a 911 but you are stuck with stupid red brakes whether you like it or not.

I just think bright red clashes with mahogany and it makes those little brakes look even smaller behind those 21" wheels. You seem to like it so rock on. Looks like they did a good job of it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi folks, glad most agree. Personally, I now feel a little taller and 14% better looking, but that's just me. Got them done at the shop Porsche use themselves but a ton cheaper going direct. They mask and shroud the whole car, do each caliper on the car, clean and paint a few coats, then apply the name sticker, then overspray it all in a protective lacquer. Good folks, good job. Apparently they stand behind their work but didn't put an exact duration on it, but I'm happy enough.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I always feel like red brake calipers clash with every exterior color except maybe red. One of the many reasons I did not buy the S model when I got a 911. I understand Porsche "branding" their performance levels with brake caliper colors but I can't understand why they do not offer brake calipers in black or body color for some upcharge. You can paint the stupid headlight washer nozzles in a contrasting color on a 911 but you are stuck with stupid red brakes whether you like it or not.

I just think bright red clashes with mahogany and it makes those little brakes look even smaller behind those 21" wheels. You seem to like it so rock on. Looks like they did a good job of it.
I agree red calipers doesn't go as well with mahogany, but they still look better than plain silver or black, and they really pop on any white, silver, black, gray... the list goes on. I like what the OP did here - he didn't like what came with the car, so he changed it. Nice work!

81 - 100 of 124 Posts