Porsche Macan Forum banner

Caliper Colour

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I do like the look of the red calipers, but to me it would be like stealing a "turbo" badge and adding it to my S. Kind of wanna-be, if you ask me. But to each his own...
Never considered painting the calipers. Agree with you on all points- personal preference.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I do like the look of the red calipers, but to me it would be like stealing a "turbo" badge and adding it to my S. Kind of wanna-be, if you ask me. But to each his own...
To be perfectly honest, this never occurred to me, maybe because I'm new to all things Porsche, I just think it looks so good. I'm already super proud of owning a Macan S, don't need the Turbo or to pretend anything. But I see your point, coming from BMWs, I do think folks that put M parts on their regular 3 series look pretty silly (by that I don't mean the regular M package from factory, I mean the ricer types that have 10+ year old bimmers trying to pose as an M model...).

BTW, what's the deal with the deletion of model designation? Are some folks ashamed to show they have "only" a Macan S and not a Turbo? Everyone will know it's a Macan, I just don't get it...

·
Registered
81 Posts
1K - REALLY??? Don't waste ur money!

Look around..... my 2c

Reactions: skierdude

·
Registered
487 Posts
It really is no different than painting the rear fascia or adding painted trim. It is just a cosmetic preference which is like 75% why we buy these cars in the first place.

Reactions: skierdude

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
@Bull_Market - I had read the other threads - all I'm trying to find out with my thread is what people who have done at their dealers paid for the job.
Where did you get yours done and how much it cost you (sorry if I missed it)?
@skierdude His point was if you had asked your question inside of an already established thread, you would get the answer you are looking for, and keep related items together.

At least that is my interpretation. I will defer to @Bull_Market if I am incorrect. But I would have posted a response to you for that exact reason if he hadn't already done so.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
To be perfectly honest, this never occurred to me, maybe because I'm new to all things Porsche, I just think it looks so good. I'm already super proud of owning a Macan S, don't need the Turbo or to pretend anything. But I see your point, coming from BMWs, I do think folks that put M parts on their regular 3 series look pretty silly (by that I don't mean the regular M package from factory, I mean the ricer types that have 10+ year old bimmers trying to pose as an M model...).

BTW, what's the deal with the deletion of model designation? Are some folks ashamed to show they have "only" a Macan S and not a Turbo? Everyone will know it's a Macan, I just don't get it...
I would remove the Porsche as well if possible. I simply like plain, celan look. I hate any lettering. None of my perosnal cars had/will have it. My wife's does.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Red brake calipers look great! But i totally agree about the risk to be taken as a "wannabe turbo" if i paint my calipers red. I have Macan S. This is a little special with Porsche compared to other brands as there is a clear distinction between different models and brake caliper color. S - silver, Turbo- red, Cheramic brakes - yellow. Plug in models - green.

Ordering a car without model name written on it is no problem for me and not a "wannabe" thing. I have ordered almost all my cars without model name. Regardless if it was a BMW 316 compact or a X5 etc. Some people that drives a Turbo maybe not want Turbo screaming in peoples face when driving around.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't want the P O R S C H E ad on the back glaring at people, maybe suggesting I think I'm better than they are.

However, I like the way red calipers look and the only folks who would believe me to be a "wannabe turbo" would IMHO be a few misguided 3.6 turbo owners.

By the way, my S is a turbo also.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Fantom, very good points. I really like red calipers on sports vehicles and have strongly considered painting those on my Macan S when I get it. However, there is a Porsche tradition as to brake caliper color that I am conscious of. (This is my first Porsche). Not any of my consideration includes posing as something I am not. In fact, I like a car that looks slow and is really fast. I also deleted the model designation only because you can as another way to build something unique to me. I am very proud of the S I configured.

Having said all that, I am leaning toward waiting until and if I purchase a Porsche in the future that comes with red calipers from the factory. But that is just me and I do not cast a critical eye in this area on others! BTW I usually always buy a vehicle with the largest engine available. However, 1) I am buying a Porsche 2) the Macan S has a highly respectable 340 HP and 3) the price difference was enough to keep me in the S. I think I will be happily driving a Macan S!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
To be honest 99% of the population has no idea the difference between caliper colors and no one will really care.

Paint them whatever color makes you happy because no one is going to stop you and say "look at this poser" they will just think oh those look cool. I painted my cayenne v6 calipers red

·
Registered
969 Posts
Fantom, very good points. I really like red calipers on sports vehicles and have strongly considered painting those on my Macan S when I get it. However, there is a Porsche tradition as to brake caliper color that I am conscious of.

I hear what you're saying but with all do respect, I'm a 35 year member of PCA, and the Macan will be our seventh Porsche. I can't begin to estimate the hours I've spent on Porsche forums or the days I've invested in Porsche events and meetings.

The is no such Porsche tradition that most anyone give a twit about, so get a paint brush and have at it. ;)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes, for me its not what others might think or care about. I probably do not personally know one Porsche purist. Your comment about happiness is key. I like red calipers and how they look but I may be happier leaving them stock.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I hear what you're saying but with all do respect, I'm a 35 year member of PCA, and the Macan will be our seventh Porsche. I can't begin to estimate the hours I've spent on Porsche forums or the days I've invested in Porsche events and meetings.

The is no such Porsche tradition that most anyone give a twit about, so get a paint brush and have at it. ;)
While reading your response, the thought just occurred to me that with all the options Porsche provides, it seems to be a brand that encourages individual modification, however it is done. I enjoy watching that video picturing among several the hippie in his Porsche meeting up with other owners and the boy on his bike. My struggle is with my upbringing, I think. My father was a great influence on me and also a car and motorcycle guy in general and Corvette guy in particular! He preferred stock and keeping a Vette original and that is likely the root of my internal struggle with something so minute as my painting brake calipers a different color. But, yes I really like the subtle look of red brake calipers on the exterior and it would go well with my partial garnet interior, I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Macan S cailpers

I just paint my calipers yesterday , it took some time and a lot of brake clean. you need to be careful of the sensors when removing them from the pads they are held in with a clip and slid out to the top. don't move from side to side or you can brake it. You will have to tape the rear hand brake housing, remember the hand brake is electric so you don't want to mess with it. The hold down brackets come off with a 18 mm wrench ,they are tight so make sure you put them back the same way.

The fronts come off with a bit triple square 14 mm socket . The brakes and clips come right out but be careful of the sensors .The job took some time and follow the paint directions between coats and clear after the decal is installed. Look at the placing of the old decal so to get the new one right , use your phone and take some pics. You will need something to hold the caliper up with so you don't put pressure on the brake line.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
I just paint my calipers yesterday , it took some time and a lot of brake clean. you need to be careful of the sensors when removing them from the pads they are held in with a clip and slid out to the top. don't move from side to side or you can brake it. You will have to tape the rear hand brake housing, remember the hand brake is electric so you don't want to mess with it. The hold down brackets come off with a 18 mm wrench ,they are tight so make sure you put them back the same way.

The fronts come off with a bit triple square 14 mm socket . The brakes and clips come right out but be careful of the sensors .The job took some time and follow the paint directions between coats and clear after the decal is installed. Look at the placing of the old decal so to get the new one right , use your phone and take some pics. You will need something to hold the caliper up with so you don't put pressure on the brake line.
Looks great, just had mine professionally done this week as well. Did you get a tire change warning/question on the dash after removing the wheels though? It seems to be asking if I changed the tires and if I want to reset the settings but doesn't seem to let me "do" anything about the message. Is it learning?

·
Registered
230 Posts
What paint the the best to use? I bought Dupicolor but I just found out about G2 epoxy paint. In my readings it doesn't seems that Dupicolor doesn't last.

Newly painted brake pictures look awesome, but it's hard to find follow up notes on the paint a few years later. I saw some Corvette with red calipers and it looks like crap now. It's all pinkish. It looked like a factory paint, but I didn't ask the owner.

·
Registered
550 Posts

that's a beautiful paint job you did there!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
can someone recommend me a reputable place to get my calipers painted? i don't wanna do it myself because i don't wanna make a mess out of it but i don't know who to trust to do a good job.

anyone knows a place in Toronto Canada?

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Anyone knows a place in Toronto Canada?
I don't have any first hand experience with any shops there, but a quick search turns-up a few threads from other forums. The information is a few years old, but it's a starting point. Names most mentioned include Simply Tire and Pfaff Tuning. Premier Wheels Direct also appeared in the search results. You might also ask your dealership if they have any shops they recommend.
Here are some links for further reading....the first 3 are various forum discussions, and the last 3 are for the shop websites. Best of luck. Keep us posted!

Whats a good place to get calipers painted?

GTA: Brake Caliper painting

Powder coating brake calipers, where in GTA? - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Painting Services @ Pfaff Tuning Woodbridge

Wheel Service & Repair Scarborough ON, Toronto ON, Markham ON | Premier Wheels Direct

SimplyTire Inc. - Services

61 - 80 of 124 Posts