Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was hoping for some detailers or paint gurus to advise.

i had my car coated last week and my detailer measured the paint to be around 4.x - 5.x thickness on most of the panels. The only big difference were the lower front fender piece, measuring at 3.x thick. initially he claims my car has been repainted, as the edge between the door and this panel was 'rough' he said. i'm not expert but wonder if you guys have the same issue with this panel piece?

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
119 Posts
If a car has been repainted you would see significantly MORE paint on the panel than from the factory. I've not had mine measured, but that doesn't seem terribly discrepant.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
966 Posts
Less paint could be indicative of someone wetsanding out some scratches. Maybe they got some gravel dings and had it detailed out? I don't have a paint depth gauge to check mine, though thanks for the reminder that I really should.

·
Super Moderator
3,539 Posts
What year and how many miles?

I'd go along with the wed sanded lower panel. That's an area that typically gets sand-blasted form the front tires. It would
show up most vividly on a black car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the comments. . initially the detailer tried to tell me it was in an accident as only one side was measured. makes no sense there are accidents on both lower fenders (?!). i have every reason to believe the panels should be original ( i knew the seller).

it's likely thinner due to wear an tear and as previously mentioned it's not that' big a difference - after watching some videos a repaint would be major difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts