Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have some time to get my Macan S delivered. In the meantime, I want to know more about paint protection films.

- Is it necessary?
- I heard Suntek Ultra is good. Any one has any experience?
- Any other options?
- How much it costs? I don't want to invest lot of money on this but at the same time, want to have some kind of protection for the paint.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
128 Posts
Necessity of PPF is entirely up to you. It's really the only way to protect your car from rock chips and minor scrapes, but if you don't care about any of that, then no point in spending the money.

Prices vary from region to region and also how much of the car you want protected. Full wrap at a reputable shop around NJ/NY will run 5k+++, but most people just protect the hood, rocker panels, and other high impact areas.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I live in Pearland, but commute the 10 miles into Houston several times a week and then drive around while there. There is constant road construction work. The construction companies do not provide an acceptable level of cleaning up their crap. Needless to say, my windshields look like $hit. But the fronts of our cars are still looking good. I've had my Macan one year next month. 17K already. The front still looks really good. I wrapped from the firewall forward.

I also have been reading about where are larger sheets of this material now. What that means is you can have one continuous piece covering the hood (biggest in industry, btw...). I have two pieces. It's close the the rear of the front fenders. Not very noticeable.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I still have some time to get my Macan S delivered. In the meantime, I want to know more about paint protection films.

- Is it necessary?
- Any other options?
- How much it costs? I don't want to invest lot of money on this but at the same time, want to have some kind of protection for the paint.

Thanks in advance

XPEL and things like that will run you roughly $2000 at least, but it all depends on what you want done and where you do it.

There's 72" rolls that cover the hood completely as @///Bruce had mentioned but it's all relatively pricey.
I got ceramic coating and that ran a few hundred cheaper (very happy with it and the moderate protection it gives) but PPF will get you better chip/paint protection.

If you decide to go with the film, make sure it's done by a reputable shop and pay the slight premium, also make sure they use decent materials.
You don't want the film cheaply applied and peeling at the corners within a year (I've even seen it happen to multiple CPOs at dealerships).

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
There are several threads on MF discussing PPF.
Do some searches.

·
Registered
119 Posts

- Is it necessary?
- Any other options?

Thanks in advance
I have the 80” full frontal Suntek Ultra on my 2019 S. It was $2050 for the complete install. Plenty of coverage allowed them to roll all the edges so there are zero seams or cut lines. Highly recommend but it’s definitely not cheap. I also had them add CeramicPro to the entire car at the same time, so there’s actually 2 layers of protection on the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just went with Ceramic. Mainly did it for easier clean up. Chips and stuff is just nature of the beast eventually.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the 80” full frontal Suntek Ultra on my 2019 S. It was $2050 for the complete install. Plenty of coverage allowed them to roll all the edges so there are zero seams or cut lines. Highly recommend but it’s definitely not cheap. I also had them add CeramicPro to the entire car at the same time, so there’s actually 2 layers of protection on the hood.
Looks great! I’ll be doing the same.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I live in Pearland, but commute the 10 miles into Houston several times a week and then drive around while there. There is constant road construction work. The construction companies do not provide an acceptable level of cleaning up their crap. Needless to say, my windshields look like $hit. But the fronts of our cars are still looking good. I've had my Macan one year next month. 17K already. The front still looks really good. I wrapped from the firewall forward.

I also have been reading about where are larger sheets of this material now. What that means is you can have one continuous piece covering the hood (biggest in industry, btw...). I have two pieces. It's close the the rear of the front fenders. Not very noticeable.
Having dealt with this stuff I can suggest that two pieces is not a bad way to go. When repairs are necessary that will cost less to replace. My cost to run into a plastic garbage can in my garage was $577.50 to replace the plastic on the front bumper, whew! (well, I added a few spots missed im the original go around)
When this stuff gets damaged it is as costly to replace as refinishing the car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This may be a very ignorant question but here goes: If you use PPF can you still wash and wax/buff your car or does that film get in the way? I can’t imaging the film will adsorb the polish...

On the other hand, for ceramic I think that’s like a premium wax so I believe with that application you can continue washing and waxing your car regularly. Is this correct?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
This may be a very ignorant question but here goes: If you use PPF can you still wash and wax/buff your car or does that film get in the way? I can’t imaging the film will adsorb the polish...

On the other hand, for ceramic I think that’s like a premium wax so I believe with that application you can continue washing and waxing your car regularly. Is this correct?
I wash & clay & wax (sealant) my cars with PPF.

I never used a power tool to buff so, IDK.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm thinking of a light ceramic coating for my 'S'...

It only get used about 4 months / year and is inside the rest of the time.
The lighter application should last me quite a while

Paint correction and ceramic... on a 4 yr old car

1 - 14 of 14 Posts