Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I flew to Taiwan midMarch and within a couple days entering and leaving Taiwan became difficult for a U.S. citizen. I originally meant to return in April, but could’nt. Ive been here four months plus at this point and am likely to stay for many more months. My 2018 GTS has been in an underground garage since March and not moved or started. Before I left in March I drove it for a long drive to charge it up. I filled It with gas and all necessary fluids. I had an oil change a month before I left. Of course the battery is now dead. (I had no way to plug in a trickle charger, no access to power there.

I have talked with neighbors back home and one has access to power and a battery charger and can try to jump start the GTS. If successful could I ask for advice about keeping it charged and any other things I should consider. For example,

Should I start it once and let it run for a period of time in the garage to keep it charged and lubricated?

Should I ask a neighbor to take it out for a drive occasionally? (Please note that getting out of the underground garage is tricky as the turn is tight and hard to navigate)

should I just take have someone take the battery out and leave it until I return?

Any advice would be appreciated. I am fully aware that I have created this problem by my own inaction. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah just leave it and buy a noco for your return, you know you will feel uncomfortable someone else driving your car I would be most concerned about the gas.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
@Bear4a$ian:

If a neighbor has access to the car, and has access to an outlet in the parking garage, and the garage is not prone to thievery, I would have the neighbor hook up a smart charger, and just leave it alone, i.e., no car starting.

That is, if practical, I would handle this the way I've been dealing with motorcycles in my garage for decades, as they sit for c. five months, during the off-season: don't start the engine, and just leave a smart charger hooked up.

For the past half-dozen or so years, I've been using a couple of PulseTech Xtremes (XC100-P Xtreme Charge 12V Battery Maintenance Charger Desulfator), on bikes, on my riding lawnmower, and once, yep, overnight on my '18 Macan S. Of course, most folks here prefer a few CTEK models or Porsche's rebranding of them; there are some useful threads regarding which models (although I continue to like the PulseTech -- nothing to set on it).

Would this be feasible for you and your neighbor(s)?

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Wowzers I just can’t imagine being away from home for so long and not being able to get back home.

I have no advice on your battery problem but just wanted to let you know that I hope you are able to get back home soon. The embassy can’t help get you home?

Sending good thoughts your way from South Carolina.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah just leave it and buy a noco for your return, you know you will feel uncomfortable someone else driving your car I would be most concerned about the gas.
Thank you for your response @Charlie75 May I ask what noco means?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Bear4a$ian:

If a neighbor has access to the car, and has access to an outlet in the parking garage, and the garage is not prone to thievery, I would have the neighbor hook up a smart charger, and just leave it alone, i.e., no car starting.

That is, if practical, I would handle this the way I've been dealing with motorcycles in my garage for decades, as they sit for c. five months, during the off-season: don't start the engine, and just leave a smart charger hooked up.

For the past half-dozen or so years, I've been using a couple of PulseTech Xtremes (XC100-P Xtreme Charge 12V Battery Maintenance Charger Desulfator), on bikes, on my riding lawnmower, and once, yep, overnight on my '18 Macan S. Of course, most folks here prefer a few CTEK models or Porsche's rebranding of them; there are some useful threads regarding which models (although I continue to like the PulseTech -- nothing to set on it).

Would this be feasible for you and your neighbor(s)?
Thanks for your advice @wspollack

it’s a small condo with controlled access. The problem regarding outlet access is that there are t any public outlets. Just those behind closed utility doors. Friends in the condo do have my car keys. I’ll check research the chargers you suggest. The condo has just started allowing individual outlets for people with electric vehicles. Maybe I can ask a neighbor to allow me access.
thanks again

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wowzers I just can’t imagine being away from home for so long and not being able to get back home.

I have no advice on your battery problem but just wanted to let you know that I hope you are able to get back home soon. The embassy can’t help get you home?

Sending good thoughts your way from South Carolina.
Thanks @Jellybean i appreciate your concern. I’m actually well situated here. My husband is Taiwanese and we have a condo here I’m in no hurry to try to fly a 14 hr flight back to U.S. And Taiwan is handling COVID-19 well. 460 some total cases and only seven deaths. So we feel safe here. It‘s a strange time these days.
By the way, I was so sad to see you lost your Carmine Red Macan. We had that in common. I still have mine, but we are separated.
cheers.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Oh I‘m so glad to hear that you have a great safe place to be and being with your husband is an added bonus! Thanks for your kind words.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts