Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a repair shop here in Brooklyn for oil change & brake replacement.
They said they got it done today so I went to pick up the car. It was a rainy day so the car itself is covered by water droplets and it's hard to see any damage. Only when I got home and parked I saw huge scratches on the front-right side. I am 100% sure I didn't cause the damage because something this big I would definitely feel something.
What would you do in this scenario? I'm going to call the repair shop tomorrow to see what they're going to say & see if they have security camera footage that may have captured the collision. But should I call my auto insurance first? Also, should I go to the shop personally instead of calling about the incident? I wonder if they would delete the footage if they want to cover it up, but maybe I'm thinking too much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can’t hurt to call or better yet go back there. Can you post a picture of the scratch? Is it deep enough you can feel it with your fingernail? If you can’t, it probably can be buffed out for not a lot of money.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Car Automotive lighting

I'm going to say it's actually quite deep. I move my finger through it and can definitely feel the groove, especially on the edge. How bad is it?

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
View attachment 246013

I'm going to say it's actually quite deep. I move my finger through it and can definitely feel the groove, especially on the edge. How bad is it?
What you are doing is as perfect as it goes. You found the damage, noted the time and place, and took lots of pictures of this. After the go around with the perpetrators get on the contact with your insurance people supplying them with the story and the photos. Sniff around about the question of diminished value.

·
Registered
14,448 Posts
View attachment 246013

I would call my insurance then I'd call them .Whoever did that knew what they did .

Any time anything has ever happened in the shop where my car goes I have received an immediate call , asking me if I want to see it , and then they assure me it will be resolved by them . I have two incidents in the 63 years of my life at a shop . The first was a valet was moving a car and tapped a bumper guard (extremely minor) . They replaced the entire guard . The second was a bigger deal . A technician on one side of the shop was fixing a car with a rotating tool . The head of the tool flung off by accident , almost hit other technicians and cars , only to bounce along and end up hitting my car door . They asked me if I wanted to see it and not to worry . I told then no need but would like my detail guy to have a look . They took it to him and returned saying he said its beyond him . They fixed it perfectly . I remember the car but I dont remember which door it was . Thats how good they fixed it .

Accidents happen and any shop is open to it . Its how they deal with it afterward that matters . In fact when I traded that car in at the dealership they knew and did not penalize my trade . That is how it should be .

·
Registered
35 Posts
That does look pretty bad and I agree that whoever did that knew they did it. I think they gave the car back hoping that you wouldn’t notice. Luckily you did.
My advise is to take the car back to the shop and show them the damage. Hopefully they will agree to take care of the damage.
The damage is fairly inconspicuous and can (or could be) touched up where no one would notice, even if it wasn’t perfect. Obviously, a respray would be the best way to fix it and it’s a good thing you have pictures since the damage is minor if the repair shows up on a Carfax report

Please reply with what the shop tells you

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Yes, personally take it back to the shop & speak with the owner/manager. Let them know how upset you are over this.
Do not say: "I didn't cause the damage because something this big I would definitely feel something."
Just say there were no scratches when you brought the car to them & the rain masked it & you discovered it when you got home.

You want them to pay for fixing this. I suggest whoever your local Porsche dealer uses to do body work. (Find out who that is b4 you go to the shop)

They may deny they caused it.
They may agree they caused to but, want their friend, Joe's body shop, to repair it. It will be tempting to immediately agree to this since your main worry was they would deny responsibility & you will be relieved that they will pay for the repair. Resist this temptation & try hard to get the Porsche body shop to do the repair.

I went to have an oil change on a leased company car and they failed to latch the hood so, it was up a little bit and as I drove away the wind caught it and the hood flew all the way up and smashed the windshield and damaged the hood itself. I drove right back there and complained to them about it. Worried that they would deny it was their responsibility even though I had just left there five minutes before. They took responsibility and said they will always work with XYZ body shop and they will take care of it and I agreed.

It looked OK when I picked it up but, the color was different within six months and the gaps were off... one side had a bigger gap in the other. Lesson learned.

• Wow
Reactions: Orvil
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.