Porsche Macan Forum banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
If they did actually beef up the clutch packs or redesign the unit, it's unlikely based on enough failure rate data as I'd imagine they already had plans outlined for the PP 2 years ago and would've needed about that time to start the process of getting it engineered and into the production line. Not that it changes what you're essentially saying, but I'd guess they already knew that the PP would push the Macan PDK boundaries too hard.
@K-A Agreed now that you point it out. The best they could do would be to correlate that failure rates were equal or less than projected in such a short time. I work in IT vs. manufacturing, so I am used to a much shorter loop for decision making.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Since I started my journey with Porsche I have been told the PDK gearbox is the same in all Macan models. Correct or not?
Interesting question. My understanding is that the PDK in the sports cars is quicker. I've also read somewhere that they use a Porsche PDK whereas the SUV's use Audi's version of the PDK being the Audi Dual Clutch transmission. I have raised this with Porsche sales people but unfortunately often we know more about the cars than they do. Does anyone with real Porsche tech savvy know the truth? All I can get is that it's called a PDK so it's a Porsche box but PDK stands for Dual Clutch in German so they can call it PDK but is it really the same as the sports cars and is it a genuine Porsche unit? I'd love to know and great question @Trued

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't forget the PDK is used in the 991 turbo S.

Now we need a Macan owner to volunteer his vehicle for 50 launch controls:D

If the PDK in the Macan is 'Porsche', then it should be no issue. The real question is whether that PDK after repeated launches will still work properly at 100,000miles.

How Many Times Can You Use Launch Control on a 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo?
I know I'm Quoting way late in this thread. When I was shopping for my Macan Turbo one of the sales guys told me he and a bunch of other Sales people went to the Atlanta or LA PEC and abused Launch Control on several Macans all day (probably around the 50 you're looking for) and none of the cars had any issues that day. As for after, I cannot elaborate.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interesting question. My understanding is that the PDK in the sports cars is quicker. I've also read somewhere that they use a Porsche PDK whereas the SUV's use Audi's version of the PDK being the Audi Dual Clutch transmission. I have raised this with Porsche sales people but unfortunately often we know more about the cars than they do. Does anyone with real Porsche tech savvy know the truth? All I can get is that it's called a PDK so it's a Porsche box but PDK stands for Dual Clutch in German so they can call it PDK but is it really the same as the sports cars and is it a genuine Porsche unit? I'd love to know and great question @Trued
I'll speculate with the rest of them. I read an article a while back (can't remember where) that you'll see the Audi rings on the Macan PDK housing because that part of the transmission had to be the same form factor as used in the Audi Q5 because of the frame. Porsche didn't want to modify the source Q5 frame to fit the originally intended PDK due to cost.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
It's not made by ZF thus nor the same unit. I believe the only hardware change is a beefed up clutch pack (maybe someone can add to whether there's more, or I'm sure it's listed earlier in this thread) which beefs up more as you go up the Macan range, but otherwise the basis is the Audi unit. The main difference is Porsche re-engineered the software.

The Macan unit is very fast, but I was pretty shocked at how much faster the 911/sports car "real" PDK is. Shifts are much more aggressive, noticeably faster, and most noteworthy; kick harder. The 1-2 shift especially has a real kick to it, while it's been noted here before that the Macan's unit couldn't handle that load, hence why its 1-2 is fairly tame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For what it's worth, Cobb Tuning has developed software for PDK but said the Macan transmission was an Audi unit and therefore the software would not work with it

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just an update to this. And sorry of this in incoherent rambling. Got to love wikipedia. They say that the macan has the same ZF sourced PDK as the Panamera - which is a variant of the ZF sourced PDK in the 911's.

I think (know) wikipedia is wrong.

After changing the PDK fluid in the macan, it is a different fluid from that in the panamera and the 911. The bottle does not even say Porsche, it says VW. I bought the fluid from a porsche dealer, and I compared it to the part number of the fluid from when the dealer serviced the PDK in the macan and they match.

Therefore the PDK in the Macan is a variant of the DL 501 DCT/DSG made by VW.

Also the videos I saw of Audi S-tronic (or whatever they call it) match the process for a fluid change in the Macan which I read from the Macan service manual (and confirmed by doing it in my car)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Is the Macan PDK Really a PDK or Just in Name Only

So I got to use my brother in law’s 991S for 2 days while he was out of town in exchange for my playing Airport Taxi for him.

I very quickly noticed that his PDK is more intuitive and shifts quicker than the PDK in my Macan Turbo. Not to say the Macan PDK is no good, quite the opposite.

But there’s a definite difference between the two, and I assume they mechanically have little in common as the 911 PDK was designed for a rear engine car whereas the Macan PDK was designed for a front engine/rear wheel drive biased car.

There’s has been some discussion on the forum that the Macan PDK is not much,*if nothing more, than an Audi unit. In fact when I was underneath my Turbo I noticed the Audi markings on the transmission.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that, as it works well, but what’s the real story here? Have Porsche’s marketing people merely taken an Audi transmission and “rebadged” it, to infer that it’s somehow better than the unit used in Audi products?

Candidly I could care less if the transmission is made by Hyundai, so long as it works well, but I’m curious what the real story is.

Is any dual clutch transmission used in a Porsche product referred to as PDK?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Anyone know which Audi products the same unit is used in?

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
The concept of PDK is the same in a Macan . What differs is everything from its build (Audi noted in your post) to its programming . At 31 seconds in this clip the principle is demonstrated (see end of post) .
On another note .. the Panamera is even softer shifting than the Macan . Different variants of the same model are programmed differently . IE. A 911 turbo S will shift differently than a Gt3 etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes, B8/B8.5 Audi S4/5. Audi revised 3 times in the lifecycle of the B8/B8.5 cars. 2010 cars had gen 1 2011-2012 had gen2 and 2013+ had gen3. The gen 1 and 2 had the same gear ratios but the gen 3 had different gear ratios. There were other changes obviously, but I can't say that anyone outside of Audi knows all the differences. I do know the gen1 had a mechatronics that was prone to failure, mine hasn't yet but the car only has 10K miles albeit about 400 1/4 mile passes! lol In testing with APR their tuner has mentioned differences in clamping pressures between the generations among some other programming things. I believe the Macan turbo has stronger clutch packs and obviously Porsche programming vs Audi. APR tune really makes a difference on the units.

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
I very quickly noticed that his PDK is more intuitive and shifts quicker than the PDK in my Macan Turbo. Not to say the Macan PDK is no good, quite the opposite.
Horse for courses. The former is a sports car meant to emulate a race car on the road, the later is a people hauler/cargo/softroading/snow. Two entirely different things.

what’s the real story here?
This has been endlessly discussed. The "real story" is in the more than hundred posts in this thread. AFAIK, Porsche took the Audi unit, along with many other Audi components, and used it in the Macan. This is common practice - cheaper to build. You don't make entirely new parts when parts off the shelf work. BTW, that PCM in the Macan? The same as the PCM in the 911. However, the sway bars are probably different. Share common parts where you can - save money.

Have Porsche’s marketing people merely taken an Audi transmission and “rebadged” it, to infer that it’s somehow better than the unit used in Audi products?
No, not according to a Porsche dealer employee in this thread. Read it. Two differences noted.

Is any dual clutch transmission used in a Porsche product referred to as PDK?
AFAIK yes. 911 built by ZF. Macan is Audi.

911 Carrera's (base, S, and GTS) ZF not the same as Turbo(S)

GT is PDK-S also different

Maybe "PDK is a generic acronym.

Read https://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/21282-origins-pdk-audi-zf-unicorn-tears-etc.html#post678153

Also read https://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/21282-origins-pdk-audi-zf-unicorn-tears-etc.html#post334938

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone found some VW/AUDI Quirks and Features ?

I was interested to found some VW/AUDI stuffs in Macan (which is totally fine with me, MACAN is PURE PORSCHE and AWESOME CAR!)

So I found some logos and parts in the engine room (2.0 for me, which is sourced from Audi) and on the frame(?) part of the vehicle..

I also found out that fuel cap is also Audi hehe !!!

Thanks AUDI for working with PORSCHE to create perfect car like Macan !

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
The whole is a sum of its parts; so long as they take parts that are great to make a greater whole. It's like setting up a Home Theatre, you don't buy every component from the same manufacturer. Unfortunately, this is also the same reason why there will never be a perfect car because a car cannot be absolutely bespoked.

Just wish Porsche would 'steal' some ideas from other manufacturer to make it more functionally friendly. For example, Porsche has improved the way the Wiper Stalk works on the 2019 Cayenne compared to the old version, but the best implementation of the Wiper Stalk that I have seen so far is on the Volvo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The whole is a sum of its parts; so long as they take parts that are great to make a greater whole. It's like setting up a Home Theatre, you don't buy every component from the same manufacturer. Unfortunately, this is also the same reason why there will never be a perfect car because a car cannot be absolutely bespoked.

Just wish Porsche would 'steal' some ideas from other manufacturer to make it more functionally friendly. For example, Porsche has improved the way the Wiper Stalk works on the 2019 Cayenne compared to the old version, but the best implementation of the Wiper Stalk that I have seen so far is on the Volvo.
I totally agree !! VW Group does pretty well sharing parts to make greater whole not like GM where they just do badge engineering !!!

Yes.. The wiper stalks are weird in the Macan lol... But I believe it is better than one in the mercedes back in my country lol.

·
Registered
563 Posts
An interesting read:

The Porsche Macan is built on the Modular Longitudinal Platform (MLP) proliferating throughout the Volkswagen Group. It's an architecture currently shared with the Audi A5, A6, A7, A8 and Q5. Its performance-oriented architecture allows a longitudinally mounted engine with a differential in front of the clutch for better weight distribution. While Volkswagen offers its scalable MLP in many lengths, the Macan rides on a 110.5-inch wheelbase, which is identical to the Audi Q5.

Physically speaking, the Macan is nearly two inches shorter in height (63.9 vs. 65.2) but nearly two inches longer in length (184.3 vs. 182.6) than the Audi. Side-by-side, the Porsche has broader shoulders to cover its nearly two-inch-wider track (65.2 vs. 63.7) and in terms of overall mass, the Macan S is about 300 pounds lighter than the SQ5 (4,112 vs. 4,409).

As expected from platform-sharing cousins, the pan (floor stamping) and firewall are common. The basic suspension architecture, power steering unit and rear brakes are also shared, but each has been modified by Porsche for its new role. Aside from those major components, and the standard hidden-from-view electrical and mechanical subsystems shared with other vehicles in the VW Group, nearly everything else on the Macan is unique.
https://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/06/2015-porsche-macan-deep-dive-first-ride-review/

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The first part I found on my GTS with an Audi logo was the tow hook when I mounted it for a track day.

The full IC engine on my wife’s plug-in Cayenne hybrid is Audi, so I’m ok with the 30-ish percent Audi parts on my Macan; at least the engine is Porsche and one can feel the P-magic on the chassis, transmission and overall handling.

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
I was interested to found some VW/AUDI stuffs in Macan (which is totally fine with me, MACAN is PURE PORSCHE and AWESOME CAR!)
This subject has been discussed many times. There are many internet articles on this going back to late 2013. There is no need to start another thread on it so its merged with the great "PDK" thread. Half the car is audi. Its all derived from the Audi. Please search before starting a new thread,

thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
This subject has been discussed many times. There are many internet articles on this going back to late 2013. There is no need to start another thread on it so its merged with the great "PDK" thread. Half the car is audi. Its all derived from the Audi. Please search before starting a new thread,

thanks
Oh sorry about starting completely new thread !! I am still getting used to this forum layout !!

121 - 140 of 142 Posts