Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks in advance if anyone knows answers to these questions. I'm ordering a 2021 GTS.

• Are the puddle lights standard? I just want the lights, not the logo, and am wondering if I need to tick the box just to get the puddle lights.
  • Can you peel the GTS logo off the side blades? I am taking the "delete the model designation" option, and really just want to go under the radar, so I'd like to peel these off when the car comes in.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't think the Puddle Lights are standard. You can check this in the options yourself. No idea about the GTS on side blades. Sorry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @[email protected] and @Daya.

I'm trying to check with my dealer about the puddle lights. The configurator doesn't really mention the puddle lights (unless you order them), but the Suncoast site specifically states that, for the Macan, the "PORSCHE" name LED lights are "only for cars with factory-installed puddle lights". Why would I need the "PORSCHE" lights from Suncoast if my car already has them because I had to order them from the factory? Not that Suncoast is perfect, but their disclaimer makes me think that some Macans come with puddle lights from the factory, without having to order the "PORSCHE" name lights.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks in advance if anyone knows answers to these questions. I'm ordering a 2021 GTS.

• Are the puddle lights standard? I just want the lights, not the logo, and am wondering if I need to tick the box just to get the puddle lights.
  • Can you peel the GTS logo off the side blades? I am taking the "delete the model designation" option, and really just want to go under the radar, so I'd like to peel these off when the car comes in.
Puddle lights are standard. The lights that are an expensive option are the Porsche logo lights that replace the standard clear led light. You can purchase them on Amazon for $12 - $16 dollars and replace them yourself. Took me about 10 minutes total for all 4 doors; simple snap-out, unplug old, plug new, snap-in.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Sorry, don't know about the GTZ side blade logo. I replaced the puddle lights on my '15 S and already have the logo lights for my '21 GTS when it arrives in November.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone!

Standard puddle lights for me, and I'll be peeling off the decals when my GTS (hopefully) gets here in December.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The lights that are an expensive option are the Porsche logo lights that replace the standard clear led light. You can purchase them on Amazon for $12 - $16 dollars and replace them yourself. Took me about 10 minutes total for all 4 doors; simple snap-out, unplug old, plug new, snap-in.
The OEM Porsche under door projection lights look just like the standard lights, having a red side and a clear side....with the addition of an LED projector. You can get them online from a Porsche parts site for about $159.

I would not recommend the cheap junk aftermarket lights on eBay or Amazon....the LED projection is grainy in comparison, and they won't last long because they don't have the heat-sinks like the OEM lights have.

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The OEM Porsche under door projection lights look just like the standard lights, having a red side and a clear side....with the addition of an LED projector. You can get them online from a Porsche parts site for about $159.

I would not recommend the cheap junk aftermarket lights on eBay or Amazon....the LED projection is grainy in comparison, and they won't last long because they don't have the heat-sinks like the OEM lights have.

You get what you pay for.
I've got the cheap Amazon lights and the quality is indistinguishable from the $300 option lights. I've had them for 5 years and they haven't faded yet.

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
I don't think the Puddle Lights are standard. You can check this in the options yourself. No idea about the GTS on side blades. Sorry.
I never even heard of "puddle lights" until this current car . I am not dismissing it as I really have no idea what it is .I do wish I had it back in 1986 though as I submerged my car in a terrible rain storm by driving 5 mph into a parking lot with an unmarked construction ditch looking for a pay phone to call my job at the time (this was before cell phones). I dint know if the puddle lights would have helped . It was daylight.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I've got the cheap Amazon lights and the quality is indistinguishable from the $300 option lights. I've had them for 5 years and they haven't faded yet.
And I bought cheap under door projectors on my last Mercedes....they died a year later.

Do your aftermarket under door projectors project just "Porsche"?

Personally I don't care for the projected colored Porsche emblem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never even heard of "puddle lights" until this current car . I am not dismissing it as I really have no idea what it is .I do wish I had it back in 1986 though as I submerged my car in a terrible rain storm by driving 5 mph into a parking lot with an unmarked construction ditch looking for a pay phone to call my job at the time (this was before cell phones). I dint know if the puddle lights would have helped . It was daylight.
Puddle lights are used to light the area you're about to step into when you open the door. They typically are mounted either on the bottom of the side mirrors, or on the bottom of the door, and project straight down onto the ground when the door is open. I think the standard Porsche puddle lights also project a red light that can be sign by cars coming up behind you. The puddle lights can be modified to project a logo, but that usually takes away from the amount of light projected, so I prefer plain/regular puddle lights. Compare the two pictures below (first one is actually an Audi). The second one shows a 911 with the "PORSCHE" puddle light.

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
Puddle lights are used to light the area you're about to step into when you open the door. They typically are mounted either on the bottom of the side mirrors, or on the bottom of the door, and project straight down onto the ground when the door is open. I think the standard Porsche puddle lights also project a red light that can be sign by cars coming up behind you. The puddle lights can be modified to project a logo, but that usually takes away from the amount of light projected, so I prefer plain/regular puddle lights. Compare the two pictures below (first one is actually an Audi). The second one shows a 911 with the "PORSCHE" puddle light.

Thanks for the explanation . This is all new to me . As a guy who prefers simplicity I would not even get it at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts