Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm considering painting my stock 19" Macan Turbo style wheels black. (I've been perseverating about buying black 20-21" wheels but I think the 21s may not be lifestyle-friendly and I haven't found a set of 20" wheels that are both attractive to me and also in the price range I want to pay.)

I'd like to know what the options are for painting my wheels black. I know there are I've heard of plasti-dip and power coating on this site but I know very little about them.

Can someone point me to resources or recommend a method? I'd love to know pros / cons, pricing, durability of each.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Hi all.

I'm considering painting my stock 19" Macan Turbo style wheels black. (I've been perseverating about buying black 20-21" wheels but I think the 21s may not be lifestyle-friendly and I haven't found a set of 20" wheels that are both attractive to me and also in the price range I want to pay.)

I'd like to know what the options are for painting my wheels black. I know there are I've heard of plasti-dip and power coating on this site but I know very little about them.

Can someone point me to resources or recommend a method? I'd love to know pros / cons, pricing, durability of each.

Thanks in advance!
Powder coating is a little cheaper than painting and more durable. Usually it's about $400-500 for the whole set. I wouldn't do plastidip.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Anyone from Seattle/Eastside area with a recommendation for a local powder coating shop?

·
Registered
531 Posts
@lights - another vote for powder coating. I'm sure there's someone good in your area. The actual work is usually done in an outfit that powder coats all kinds of products and equipment, not just for cars. Many wheel and performance shops outsource to them so if you can't find the powder coater directly, you ought to be able to find a mod shop that will outsource to them if you're willing to pay a markup. For BMWs and other brands, the selling point is that these shops usually have loaner wheelsets for you to borrow as you wait for yours to come back. In your case, I doubt they'd have Macan loaner wheelsets so there wouldn't be any tangible benefit other than knowing who to go to for the actual work.

Edit - Another option is to check with your dealer. While I'm sure some will cringe at the thought of paying dealer prices, assuming you get a good price, you will have recourse with someone who's in the best position to fix things if something doesn't turn out right. They may also provide a free loaner which is a huge convenience rather than having your car sitting on a stand while it waits for the powder coater to do the work.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer strangely doesn't do any mods. It seems like many do, but it just referred me for brake painting and tinting. I'll ask if they have any recommendations for powder coating.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
Hi all.

Thanks in advance!
@lights Thanks for teaching me a new word, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
@lights - while I have no personal experience with these companies, others have recommended the following which will give you a good place to start:

Seattle Wheel Service in Kent
Complete Wheel Repair (family owned)

Also, one person at work had the following advice on powder coating, which I hadn't heard before: "Powder coat alloy wheels (steel may be fine) is unwise, it can weaken them. The caustic cleaners used to prep the surface are generally not good for aluminum, and the alloys typically used in alloy wheels are annealed at 325F-350F, whereas most powder coating requires temps of 400F, potentially messing up the annealing."

May be something to enquire about with the companies above as you perseverate. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the same wheels on my S and approx. 10 months ago i Plasti-Dipped them and they still look great.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the same wheels on my S and approx. 10 months ago i Plasti-Dipped them and they still look great.
Pictures!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@lights - while I have no personal experience with these companies, others have recommended the following which will give you a good place to start:

Seattle Wheel Service in Kent
Complete Wheel Repair (family owned)

Also, one person at work had the following advise on powder coating, which I hadn't heard before: "Powder coat alloy wheels (steel may be fine) is unwise, it can weaken them. The caustic cleaners used to prep the surface are generally not good for aluminum, and the alloys typically used in alloy wheels are annealed at 325F-350F, whereas most powder coating requires temps of 400F, potentially messing up the annealing."

May be something to enquire about with the companies above as you perseverate.
Wow that's definitely a concern. But I don't know how to validate it. How does Porsche paint their alloy wheels... Such as the painted in body color sport classics?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. That's a slightly different wheel than I have but I would love to see a pic of the car with the wheels so I could get an idea of how it looks in proportion to the car. Are those 19"?

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
Wow that's definitely a concern. But I don't know how to validate it. ....
Found this discussion on another forum. Seems to be debatable whether re-heating for powder coating would be a significant concern or not.

Aluminum wheel failure after powder coating? - Metal and Metallurgy engineering - Eng-Tips

I know that HRE powder coats their forged wheels, so they don't seem to think it's an issue.
Not sure whether Porsche uses paint or powder coat.....but someone here probably does.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Two of the most reputable companies HRE and Forgeline powder coat their wheels. When baked at temperature 320 F, there is no issue. Porsche chooses to paint all their wheels.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
@lights : Ordered the same wheels, and I am trying to decide whether to paint/powdercoat them charcoal/black when mine arrives. Please keep us posted if and when you pull the trigger....

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One thing I'm a little concerned about is the visual impact of painting the wheel black does have the potential effect of blending the wheel to the tire and therefore making the wheel possibly appear smaller than a chrome-colored wheel. I can't really tell from the shot @cchief posted because it's a closeup of just the wheel and it's hard to see it in the context of the car, but my first instinct was to ask myself "wait are these 18" rims?". Also those wheels are slightly different than the Macan Turbo 19" wheels which have different spokes. You can see them in this post:

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/appearance-body/105914-who-cares-what-anybody-thinks.html#post1626633

The turbo wheels have thinner spokes/wider gaps, which is why I chose them.

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think platinum satin is beautiful. Just not ideal for my VG Macan with black trim and the bronze/orange brake paint I chose. Also I think black is fine for 20-21" wheels. Just need to see a fuller picture of the black painted stock 19" wheels to see them in the context of the car. That way I know if it's a good choice.

My first powder coat quote was $800. About twice what I was expecting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey guys, couldn’t find this on the forum, but does anyone know of the Macan GTS Satin Black Rims are painted or powder coated from the factory? I thought painted (same as a Cayenne GTS I once had) but I don’t have one rock chip so far and my old Cayenne would chip if you just looked at it... thinking maybe the Macan GTS is powder coated.

Hoping to replicate the color and durability of whatever the OEM rims are for a new build I have coming.

thank you!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts