Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was speaking with the SA at my local dealer and he mentioned having 1 slot open for a GTS order.
If no one places an order in time the dealer will spec the vehicle out color etc .and it will be a lot car for purchase.
My question is are the dealers limited this way that if 2 or 3 people say wanted to order a Turbo and they only had 1 slot that they could not sell the others?

·
Super Moderator
8,322 Posts
Not sure what your asking.

If he has an allocation for a GTS, then its a GTS, period, unless he can somehow swap it with another dealer. Its common for dealers to spec a car for the lot in a way he thinks the car will sell. No one wants a car sitting on a lot that they had to buy, pay interest on, and no one wants.

If someone wants a Turbo, too bad, they have no Turbo allotments.

If 2 or 3 people want Turbos, and they have an allocation for 1 Turbo, then one person gets that allocation. The other two people can get in line.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what your asking.

If he has an allocation for a GTS, then its a GTS, period, unless he can somehow swap it with another dealer. Its common for dealers to spec a car for the lot in a way he thinks the car will sell. No one wants a car sitting on a lot that they had to buy, pay interest on, and no one wants.

If someone wants a Turbo, too bad, they have no Turbo allotments.

If 2 or 3 people want Turbos, and they have an allocation for 1 Turbo, then one person gets that allocation. The other two people can get in line.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I was not clear with the way I worded that. I just used Turbo as an example.
I want a new GTS to replace my 2018 GTS. The SA tells me they have only one slot allocation available. When I purchased mine it was on the lot, I made an offer no trade involved and got my vehicle. Now I love the brand and my GTS and want another one at the 3 year period which would put me at around 42K miles in Nov..
When I was told only one September slot available for delivery in Nov. and that I should hurry and lock it up now I questioned this in my mind. Is this a sales tool? Only one available?? The other issue is this puts me at a disadvantage in working out a deal , discount, trade, etc. I really like the SA and want to give the dealer my business.
Locking in a deal on the new vehicle 5 months ahead with no lock on trade value shifts the negotiation point of strength to the seller. I don't want to get stuck with a commitment to buy and an unfair drop in value on my trade or have to try and sell privately.
On the other hand I understand they can give me an estimate on the value of my trade but not a firm price because market values change that far down the road. New way of buying a car for me. Put another way I saw this as putting money down on a new house with no mortgage or sale of old property contingency.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not a sales tool. This is common for porsche ~ a build slot guarantees that you will get your uniquely optioned vehicle for that given delivery time. In fact, the 1 available on-the-lot 2020 macan GTS at my dealer has a small markup already...

·
Super Moderator
8,322 Posts
The SA tells me they have only one slot allocation available.
When I was told only one September slot available for delivery in Nov. and that I should hurry and lock it up now I questioned this in my mind. Is this a sales tool? Only one available??
Unless you have some specific reason to believe the dealership is lying, its not a sales tool.

AFAIK, dealers are given allocations, maybe quarterly. They get what they get. It might not be what you want. So, if they have a Sept GTS build slot for Nov delivery, it is what it is.

In the meantime, you need to trade in your car. But the value in Nov will be less than the value today. So you can sell it on your own now and go without, or use another car, or rent on for some time.

I am sure many people have gone through this exact same scenario, that is, wanting a specific build but have to trade their car in.

Locking in a deal on the new vehicle 5 months ahead with no lock on trade value shifts the negotiation point of strength to the seller.
There was never any negotiation. They were going to make the money either in the price of the car or the value of the trade. The best position to be in would be a buyer with no trade, nothing to negotiate. Get a price, then say I got this to trade. But you have no idea if the price in trade is lower than you would have got otherwise. They are not going to lose money on you.

New way of buying a car for me.
Its how it works. You got it right. You can choose off the lot now and trade. You can wait and the price is the price of the trade. Or you sell the car on your own and go without hoping you actually get a car in Nov. Thats an uneasy bet. There is NO guarantee you will get a car in the fall because

A. the virus can shut the plants down again. Read this post. It will be a year before he gets his car.
B. the EPA can hold up approvals again. Search on EPA approvals. Lots of cars hung up.

Yeah, its not easy. I know.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
.....When I was told only one September slot available for delivery in Nov. and that I should hurry and lock it up now I questioned this in my mind. Is this a sales tool? Only one available?? .....
Perhaps there is only one GTS slot available for that particular dealership, but certainly not for the entire country.

Dealerships are awarded build slots based on their sales volume. The more cars they sell per quarter, the more build slots they are awarded. So while this particular dealership may have only one GTS slot left for that time period, other dealerships may have several build slots available, and thus more incentive to negotiate with you on price.

You always have the option of shopping around. There have been members here who have ordered their car from an Atlanta dealership, and had the car shipped to Houston upon delivery as part of the deal. Since you're hoping to make a trade, you may want to check with other dealerships within a day's drive of your location.

Best of luck with your search! (y)

Reactions: wspollack and grim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It all worked out very well, thanks for all the advice. I guess you don't get the full Porsche experience till you go through buying the next one as a custom build. In the end they gave me an acceptable discount (5.5%) on a new 2021 GTS and an approximate value for mine in 5 months with estimated 43K miles in Nov when I pick up my new one. I may have saved a few thousand waiting for a lot car but then again maybe not. Payments going down 200 a month does not hurt either. Im happy actually VERY happy.My Porsche code PMXKMFF1 May have to adjust interior color to the sapphire blue exterior.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It all worked out very well, thanks for all the advice. I guess you don't get the full Porsche experience till you go through buying the next one as a custom build. In the end they gave me an acceptable discount (5.5%) on a new 2021 GTS and an approximate value for mine in 5 months with estimated 43K miles in Nov when I pick up my new one. I may have saved a few thousand waiting for a lot car but then again maybe not. Payments going down 200 a month does not hurt either. Im happy actually VERY happy.My Porsche code PMXKMFF1 May have to adjust interior color to the sapphire blue exterior.
Very nice build, and 5.5% off MSRP to boot....congrats!

Personally I'd lose the LKA (useless really), and if it snows in your State, I'd opt for PTV+.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
@StevePA congratulations on your soon to be new addition. I love looking at new builds for ideas and to see how others are mixing and matching exterior and interior colors. I am glad to hear that you were able to get a discount out of your local dealer. Like others have mentioned you can buy your car from anyone who has an open slot.

I am in your shoes with a September build date and since I am going to pick my car up at PEC I really shopped around, well four dealers. I emailed my dream build to my local dealer (who was not willing to offer a discount), the dealer where I bought my first one from, the dealer that everyone loves in Atlanta and a dealer that is about 3 hours away that has a Mamba Green car coming in. I opened up conversation with this dealer because this is the color I am interested in and I wanted to know when it was coming in so I could see it. As it turned out this dealer offered me the best deal and I have put down my deposit to lock in my build.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sapphire/Beige combo here in SE Pennsylvania and I love it. Good luck finalizing your build!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts