Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Macan S is being delivered Jun 14th. One of the options that I'm really looking forward to is the dash compass that I ordered. I know in reviewing some old threads that many regard it more as a toy. However, as ex-military - even in this era of GPS - I value a compass and more than once on the road wished for one. I think the compass is actually more useful than the sport chrono ... unless you track your car. And I think the look of the Porsche compass is well done. ;)

I'm curious though what percentage of Macan owners choose the compass over the sport. chrono?

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
@SoCalS5, that is an interesting swap. However, I always wondered if Sport Chrono clock can be swapped for the regular Analog Clock. I wanted to get Sport+ with Sports Chrono from factory but my wife did not want to lose the Analog Clock so we ended up without Sports Chrono but have Analog Clock. I do understand that you can add Sports Chrono after the fact that does not come with Chrono clock thus retaining Analog Clock but the dealer would have to replace the button strip undoing trim pieces. We ended up not going for it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My Macan S is being delivered Jun 14th. One of the options that I'm really looking forward to is the dash compass that I ordered. I know in reviewing some old threads that many regard it more as a toy. However, as ex-military - even in this era of GPS - I value a compass and more than once on the road wished for one. I think the compass is actually more useful than the sport chrono ... unless you track your car. And I think the look of the Porsche compass is well done. ;)

I'm curious though what percentage of Macan owners choose the compass over the sport. chrono?

That's because when you are driving a Porsche it makes no difference what direction you are driving, but the fact that you are driving a Porsche.

Reactions: yrralis1

·
Registered
112 Posts
I too like the compass. Annoyingly can't balance the dash brightness for it to be readable at night without being dazzled by the rest of the dials. The altimeter has some interesting faults, when you're driving below sea level..!

FB_IMG_1511627116412.jpg

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The altimeter has some interesting faults, when you're driving below sea level..!
View attachment 209160

Ha, that made me laugh. I'll be taking the Macan through Death Valley in a few months, and I've been curious what the altimeter would read when we get to Badwater (-282').

Meanwhile, here's a photo from last June. The Macan sailed so smoothly over the passes in Colorado that I really hadn't realized how much altitude we'd gained. 11K+ for a pass? Wow.

Of course, that gave me a new goal: Drive the lowest (Badwater Basin, Death Valley, -282') to highest (Rock Creek Road in Mono County, 10,320') paved roads in California the next time I'm out there. Start to finish is a little under 4 hours.

Heyyyyyyy. Anybody want to caravan? >:D

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
I like the dash compass. Would have preferred that over my Sport Chrono stop watch. It's too bad that compass in any form has to be tied to navigation PCM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too ordered the compass and love it. If I had to do it over I would have ordered it with the garnet red face. The black dial can be difficult to see at times but that may be my old fart eyes.
David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ha, that made me laugh. I'll be taking the Macan through Death Valley in a few months, and I've been curious what the altimeter would read when we get to Badwater (-282').

Meanwhile, here's a photo from last June. The Macan sailed so smoothly over the passes in Colorado that I really hadn't realized how much altitude we'd gained. 11K+ for a pass? Wow.

Of course, that gave me a new goal: Drive the lowest (Badwater Basin, Death Valley, -282') to highest (Rock Creek Road in Mono County, 10,320') paved roads in California the next time I'm out there. Start to finish is a little under 4 hours.

Heyyyyyyy. Anybody want to caravan? >:D
My son did better in his audi Allroad. In same day from Mt Evans Co ( highest rd in usa, over 14,000) lowest in Death Valley...and photos to prove it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts