Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Just took a look at this ....does the cap pop off ?? For us non gear heads ?

Or assembly needs to come right off/apart ?

2016 Macan T

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wondering if anyone installed an Oil catch can, I called Porsche North Houston and Service advisor was somewhat in the dark/ lack of knowledge about adding one. I'm wanting to add one, due to the higher oil temps and higher internal crank pressures [due to the added blow by from the turbo(s)] Then finding out how small the plastic/rubber tube is, to relief such pressure (and returning back into the combustion chamber) was actually very small in diameter.
Along with multiple complaints of how these Porsche Engines "Drink Oil" Which after doing a lot of research, shows it's a higher likelihood of the missing oil (levels) are created by this problem.
I've been looking for an Oil can that wont interfere with function and of course the small about of room we have to install/service this valuable add on.
If you added on, which brand, model, series and any other details which would help me and other fellow Macan Lovers.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
This topic has been covered in another thread - which I'm merging with this one.

OP - a simple google search of: macan forum catch can would have revealed the pre-existing discussion

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just replaced my oil separators in my 2016 Macan - 117,000 miles. Took 10 minutes each! Super easy fix for engine whistle noise and erratic engine running. The dealer quoted me $1,400 with a discount to $1,250 plus tax! I purchased parts from Harper Porsche Jaguar. Here are the part order details. I would highly recommend doing your self. Its about as hard and putting gas in. Total cost $205.16 including shipping.
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
946-107-229-77​
Check Valve - Left​
$81.91​
1​
946-107-230-77Check Valve - Right$81.911
99970767740Check Valve O-Ring$8.582
99970767741Check Valve O-Ring$8.582

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Thanks for the part numbers.
Did you take any pictures ?

What did the originals look like ?
A DIY guide would be great :)

2016 Macan T

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the part numbers.
Did you take any pictures ?

What did the originals look like ?
A DIY guide would be great :)

2016 Macan T
Hi Teddis, I did not take pictures, unfortunately. But, no pics needed! Its very straight forward. They just pop off after you remove the 1 torx head bolt (I believe it is called that). If you don't have torx sockets you should get because you will need them eventually for something on the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|PASM|SC|ACC
54 Posts
FWIW, our '17 Turbo had recently started this:

Brought it into a very quiet Carlsen Porsche for our appointment where I found the service department was not busy, they seemed to be just dialing in a Taycan Turbo S. (Photo below).

The service advisor diagnosed my problem as I pulled up. He said it sounds like a leak in the air oil separator(s), (also know as Non-Return Valves.)

The service department replaced both non-return valves even though only one was leaking air causing the whistle. Interestingly the repair parts list also included a CR2032 battery. They also performed the # ALA2 recall work for the fuel pump cover while the vehicle was there. All work performed at no charge to me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have a 2017 GTS with 46,000 miles. Yesterday I got a warning "Engine Control Fault", Driving permitted, Consult dealer". Car was driving fine, no problems noted. Took it into the dealer and they had to replace 2 crankcase vent valves because they were leaking air. Tech showed me the part and it was plastic with a round diaphragm. Tech says he has seen this problem before but usually happens with higher mileage. My part failure was "premature". Part numbers 946-107-229-77 and 946-107-230-77. They sit underneath plastic engine cover so easy to access. Covered under warranty, parts would have cost $200 ($100 each) plus labor. While I was there, they also performed ALA2 Recall for Fuel Pump Cover. Picture of one of the valves attached. All is well:)

Porsche crankcase Vent Valve 946-107-229-77-OEM_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Fairly easy DIY, thanks all for posting p/n’s.
I took old one apart....will post some pics later.

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
I wonder how many have failed and at what mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Have no idea ..../but for a couple hundred dollars I look at it as cheap insurance against failure.

I’ll do this every few years or so.

2016 Macan T

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
You can replace them when they fail. No harm done when they fail.

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone else had both their Oil Separators replaced?

P/N 946-107-230-77 “Non Return Valve” (+ 2 O-rings P/N 999-707-677-41)
Suncoast calls them: “Check Valve”
Check Valve - Porsche (946-107-230-77) | Sunset Porsche Parts

I had car in to fix steering wheel squeak, (3rd X) I also had them check for some other stuff including a whistling noise that seemed new.

I had never even heard of oil separators b4. Tech said can cause a whistling noise when bad. He heard a noise when car was shut off which indicated these parts were bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yes!! my 2015 MACAN S with 69,000 miles. We live in the desert, but is this normal to have to replace these????

·
Registered
88 Posts
So here is a pic of it disassembled.
Some Oil sludge was present at the engine port. Can’t say as I see much in the intake side, a Good thing I believe.

The Green O ring was turning Black....from heat I guess.

I wonder if we can source just the round rubber diaphragm piece.

2016 Macan T
So yours is fine and doesn't need replacing then. You can find these rubber diaphragms on ebay. Called pcv diaphragm

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
And these will fit the OEM Bosch part ??
the other question of course is........once you Force pop off the cap....will it go back on and seal properly ??

·
Registered
88 Posts
And these will fit the OEM Bosch part ??
the other question of course is........once you Force pop off the cap....will it go back on and seal properly ??
Unsure, although it's a common problem on the VAG 3.2 engines. Although to replace this on them is a much much harder job.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 58 Posts