Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
443 Posts
Hello everyone! Brand new 2021 Macan Turbo (including sport chrono package) owner here and have a couple questions regarding the oil temps and oil pressure. I have searched and seen numerous threads on this topic but some were back from 2015/2016 so not sure if things have changed over the years. So here we go....

Oil Temp
  1. I have noticed my oil temp when cruising around 75-80 in 65-70 degree weather on the the highway fluctuates between 212-223. One thing that is concerning to me reading from other threads is that I don't notice a big difference between normal mode, sport mode, or sport + mode. I keep seeing people mention how in sport mode sport + mode they don't see temps over 200 and a typical difference of 20 or so degree from normal to the sport modes due to the cooling properties that are engaged.

Oil Pressure
  1. Oil pressure just seems so low but maybe I am just comparing it to other cars I have owned that aren't comparable. When starting it after sitting all night in my garage that is consistent with the ambient temp of like 60 degrees it is at around 20 PSI in normal mode. Once it warms up it hovers between 14-15 PSI. Since Sport and Sport + raise the RPMS a little bit at idle, hot it will hover between 17-18 PSI.
  2. Oil pressure does this weird thing where randomly when cruising it will all of a sudden shoot up to 40 or so PSI from 20-22 PSI for a couple seconds. Then drops right back down to 22 PSI. I saw a thread about someone with a 2020 or 2021 GTS who noticed this too but didn't look like anyone every posted a definitive answer if this was normal or not.
Idle
  1. When sitting in park in comfort mode you can feel the car shaking from underneath you (my wife noticed this and she usually doesn't notice anything). If you bump it up to sport or sport + mode it is still there but gets significantly better with the raised RPMS. I texted my salesman about this and he gave me the typical answer that it is normal and the car doesn't like the low RPMs of comfort mode. Maybe it is true but never trust the salesman at their word lol.
Hopefully some of you can share some insight into these experiences. Right now I am planning to call the service department and am worried my brand new car with only a couple hundred miles is already having problems :(. Thanks in advance for any of your help!
Not sure it helps but on the pre facelift cars the radiator Louvers/Shutters are actuated automatically, these are normally closed, and open automatically as and when.

However in sports mode these stay open hence most notice a lower oil tempature in sports mode vs in normal mode.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

· Registered
15 Posts
Not sure it helps but on the pre facelift cars the radiator Louvers/Shutters are actuated automatically, these are normally closed, and open automatically as and when.

However in sports mode these stay open hence most notice a lower oil tempature in sports mode vs in normal mode.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yeah as far as I know the same logic applies with the 2021 model. I just don't feel like i notice the drastic difference in oil temps from regular to sport/sport + mode I have seen other members note. Maybe I am just over analyzing it (wouldn't be the first time! lol).

· Registered
133 Posts
Hello everyone! Brand new 2021 Macan Turbo (including sport chrono package) owner here and have a couple questions regarding the oil temps and oil pressure. I have searched and seen numerous threads on this topic but some were back from 2015/2016 so not sure if things have changed over the years. So here we go....

Oil Temp
  1. I have noticed my oil temp when cruising around 75-80 in 65-70 degree weather on the the highway fluctuates between 212-223. One thing that is concerning to me reading from other threads is that I don't notice a big difference between normal mode, sport mode, or sport + mode. I keep seeing people mention how in sport mode sport + mode they don't see temps over 200 and a typical difference of 20 or so degree from normal to the sport modes due to the cooling properties that are engaged.

Oil Pressure
  1. Oil pressure just seems so low but maybe I am just comparing it to other cars I have owned that aren't comparable. When starting it after sitting all night in my garage that is consistent with the ambient temp of like 60 degrees it is at around 20 PSI in normal mode. Once it warms up it hovers between 14-15 PSI. Since Sport and Sport + raise the RPMS a little bit at idle, hot it will hover between 17-18 PSI.
  2. Oil pressure does this weird thing where randomly when cruising it will all of a sudden shoot up to 40 or so PSI from 20-22 PSI for a couple seconds. Then drops right back down to 22 PSI. I saw a thread about someone with a 2020 or 2021 GTS who noticed this too but didn't look like anyone every posted a definitive answer if this was normal or not.
Idle
  1. When sitting in park in comfort mode you can feel the car shaking from underneath you (my wife noticed this and she usually doesn't notice anything). If you bump it up to sport or sport + mode it is still there but gets significantly better with the raised RPMS. I texted my salesman about this and he gave me the typical answer that it is normal and the car doesn't like the low RPMs of comfort mode. Maybe it is true but never trust the salesman at their word lol.
Hopefully some of you can share some insight into these experiences. Right now I am planning to call the service department and am worried my brand new car with only a couple hundred miles is already having problems :(. Thanks in advance for any of your help!
Oil pressure does seem low.

My 2017 at idle on cold start is at 41 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Read Only
320 Posts
After,doing some fairly intensive research into the history of this problem it seems that when this engine is used in other models ( same lubrication system an sensors as ours) they too report low readings, fluctuations and no readings with the usual warnings that pop up on our screens. This is not a new problem. I do wonder why Porsche hasn’t fix it after all these years? Oil pumps are usually the most over engineered and stable piece within the engine, so for one to just go bad is very rare. These pseudo dry sump systems are more complex so more things can go wrong but if you just keep good oil/filter in it then all should be ok.
I would be more concerned about a lubrication problem if I got a warning only while at high rpm. But if still concerned the first thing I would do is change the oil and filter, inspect the oil, then if that did not fix the problem, change the oil pressure sensor ( it is located a little above the oil filter housing) and if that didn’t fix the problem and you remain concerned....time to take it to the shop.

· Registered
15 Posts
So just an update for those experiencing similar things. I spent a couple hours at the dealership today after calling last week mentioning these concerns. They thought I was crazy I wanted to bring in a car with only a couple hundred miles and no codes but said if it would make me feel better to do so. They did a full inspection of everything and said it is operating exactly as it should be and just to go enjoy it. I guess if anything come ups in the future in regards to this stuff at least I can say I brought it to their attention early on in addition to it obviously being under warranty.

The trip wasn't a complete waste though as supposedly there is some software update that came out so they performed that as well. Maybe that was just a way to make me feel better so I don't feel like I completely wasted my day there LOL.

Oil Temp

Oil Pressure
Idle

· Registered
5 Posts

Oil Temp

Oil Pressure
Idle
As the discussion starter with my 2019 Macan S, what you describe with the low oil pressure and the transient pressure spike is exactly what mine has done since new with no resolution from my purchasing dealer, It still does both although the spiking at cruise speed has become less consistent but every few drives or so it will do it vs the original when it would occur on every drive and once every 5-10 minutes when it would spike from 22 psi to 45 psi, linger for a few seconds then drop right back down to 22 psi. The fact that its inconsistent is a good sign that its not "normal" but yet the dealer has no interest in going any further with it.

Pressure is the same as you report with a start up of around 25 psi then settles in at around 22 psi normal driving conditions and at hot idle have seen it as low a 10 psi which seems unusually low and somewhat concerning when a long ways from home.

Again, dealer says all is fine and sends me on my way.

· Registered
677 Posts
I’m taking our 2021 GTS in for service on the 20th (PCM display is dead). I’ve asked for an explanation as to why it does this, and hopefully will know more then. It seems to me to be a poorly programmed control loop, or they have used a two position valve where a modulating valve should be used.

· Registered
5 Posts
I’m taking our 2021 GTS in for service on the 20th (PCM display is dead). I’ve asked for an explanation as to why it does this, and hopefully will know more then. It seems to me to be a poorly programmed control loop, or they have used a two position valve where a modulating valve should be used.
I'll remain most curious about what you learn.

· Registered
15 Posts
Following up to all of this when we first got the car...

4400 miles and change I was driving it yesterday and at a red light the car suddenly started to violently shake and then threw a check engine light. Car would then barely accelerate but got it to the nearest side street and turned it off and back on for it to barely start and then started to shake even worse. Road side picked it up and brought it to the dealer.

Today they called me with the "wonderful" news that the engine is completely shot with scoring on the cylinder walls and one even has a crack beginning in it. I will need a full engine replacement but there are no motors stateside and no ETA when one will come from Germany. Good times!!!

So just an update for those experiencing similar things. I spent a couple hours at the dealership today after calling last week mentioning these concerns. They thought I was crazy I wanted to bring in a car with only a couple hundred miles and no codes but said if it would make me feel better to do so. They did a full inspection of everything and said it is operating exactly as it should be and just to go enjoy it. I guess if anything come ups in the future in regards to this stuff at least I can say I brought it to their attention early on in addition to it obviously being under warranty.

The trip wasn't a complete waste though as supposedly there is some software update that came out so they performed that as well. Maybe that was just a way to make me feel better so I don't feel like I completely wasted my day there LOL.

· Read Only
320 Posts
So sorry! That really sucks. I am so interested in what caused this problem. One thing to be glad for is that the engine grenaded now and not after warranty! It could have been a much slower process.
Maybe they should have tested it with mechanical gauges to begin with. I hate electronic gauges. Sorry I am old school. Hope this is resolved as quickly as possible.

· Registered
677 Posts
I'll remain most curious about what you learn.
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this.

What I finally squeezed out of Porsche is that this pressure spike is normal. They tell me it is a “solenoid” valve checking oil pressure periodically. To me a solenoid valve is two position, so I’m thinking it might be a servo valve recalibration itself periodically.

I can’t bear to watch these spikes, so usually turn off this screen when driving.

Now if I could get them to explain why the ACC seems to fail for no reason, I’d be much happier. 11 months and all I get is “performing as designed” which is a crock.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm driving a "22 Macan S, twin turbo V-6 with 4,000 +- miles on the clock. While cruising on interstate at 70-75 MPH, at 2000-2200 RPM, randomly without any throttle input, the oil pressure gauge will spike up from 20-22 PSI and climb up thru all the numbers up to 45 PSI within a few seconds ! Then back down again to 20-22 PSI. No change in RPM or speed while this is happening. Will stay at 20-22 PSI for a few minutes, and then randomly do the same all over again. Odd that I never noticed this on the gauge during the first 3,000 miles or so. Could this be an actual event, or just a faulty sending unit or similar gremlin. If it is actually happening, what could cause this and could it be harmful ?
Dealer looked at it and sees no fault or error codes indicated when look into memory. Weird. Has anyone else experienced this spike with any other Porsche or Audi? Thanks in advance for your advice.

· Registered
401 Posts
This engine has an ECU controlled oil pump, which can reduce the pressure to reduce fuel consumption (lower pump pressure equals lower oil pump drive losses) when a lower oil pressure is acceptable during certain engine operating conditions. I think the pressure spikes you see are the ECU regularly "excercising" the pressure control solenoid valve. The higher oil pressure is not going to harm anything.....but one has to wonder why the engineers thought that the pressure control valve needs to be checked so often...I would think once per drive cycle would be more than enough!

· Registered
677 Posts
This engine has an ECU controlled oil pump, which can reduce the pressure to reduce fuel consumption (lower pump pressure equals lower oil pump drive losses) when a lower oil pressure is acceptable during certain engine operating conditions. I think the pressure spikes you see are the ECU regularly "excercising" the pressure control solenoid valve. The higher oil pressure is not going to harm anything.....but one has to wonder why the engineers thought that the pressure control valve needs to be checked so often...I would think once per drive cycle would be more than enough!
Thanks @VAGfan ; this and the PDF file you sent is great information. Helps put my mind at ease.

Any thoughts why the oil temperature rises a few degrees while the oil pressure spike rolls back to “normal”? Could it be the piston cooling cycle engaging do you think?

· Registered
9 Posts
So I’m driving on the highway cruise set at 80mph. The engine is running a steady 2100rpm. The oil pressure is 21-22psi. I look down and the pressure reading quickly climbs from 30 and up to 42psi. This takes about 5-10 seconds. Then the pressure reading just as quickly drops back to 21-22psi. There was no change in engine speed or load. I was on flat interstate roadway. Over the next 10 minutes this repeated a couple times.

So what’s going on? Bad reading caused by intermittent problem with oil pressure sender or MFD display?

Variable displacement oil pump cycling to a higher flow for no apparent reason?

This is a 2022 Macan S with 3000 miles.

Any insights or thoughts?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts