Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This maybe a dumb question but I have a 2019 Macan(4 cylinder version). When I am driving I notice my oil pressure will sometimes get up to the high 40s/low 50s while cruising on the highway. Is that considered normal or is that to high?

· Registered
5 Posts
2019 Macan S and the second one that we have had and just a super ride. Noticed that at a steady state RPM of around 1800 RPM and 75 MPH, the oil pressure would on occasion spike from the steady state 21 PSI to 44-45 PSI, linger for a few seconds then immediately return to the previous 21 PSI range with no change at all in RPM. Would do this initially on long runs about once every 30 minutes but has now increased in frequency to around once every 5 minutes. Idle oil pressure, warm to hot ambient is on the lower side (???) at 16-17 PSI. Took it to the dealer and after I got a lesson from the Service Writer on oil pressure and that its normal for it vary based on engine RPM (yeah but didn't you understand what I said????) they checked it all out and found everything to be normal which I'm not buying into. Drove away from the dealership and within less than 5 minutes it did the same thing once again. Seems far from "normal" to me?????

· Premium Member
4,541 Posts
2019 Macan S and the second one that we have had and just a super ride. Noticed that at a steady state RPM of around 1800 RPM and 75 MPH, the oil pressure would on occasion spike from the steady state 21 PSI to 44-45 PSI, linger for a few seconds then immediately return to the previous 21 PSI range with no change at all in RPM. Would do this initially on long runs about once every 30 minutes but has now increased in frequency to around once every 5 minutes. Idle oil pressure, warm to hot ambient is on the lower side (???) at 16-17 PSI. Took it to the dealer and after I got a lesson from the Service Writer on oil pressure and that its normal for it vary based on engine RPM (yeah but didn't you understand what I said????) they checked it all out and found everything to be normal which I'm not buying into. Drove away from the dealership and within less than 5 minutes it did the same thing once again. Seems far from "normal" to me?????
Turn off the gauge. You will live longer. The car doesn't care.

· Registered
445 Posts
The oil pump works on demand on the Macan engine (and all newer porsche engines), it's controlled via a solenoid, a bad solenoid can cause the pump to stop controlling and keeping the pressure where the DME want it to be and spike to it's full potential.
I'm pretty sure that a fault code must be triggered at that point, keep an eye on it and if it happens again and you have warranty take it back to another dealer were they listen to what you say!

· Super Moderator
4,463 Posts
Who is watching the road when you're continuously studying the gauge readouts?

Yikes!!!

Why not have a passenger use their phone to record the pressure readings you're describing, then show that to the
service department at your dealership?

Sounds like a system sampling issue to me. Perhaps the oil pressure is monitored periodically rather than continuously.
When the value is read & updated, it is sent to the display (s/w) and you're seeing a transient value, soon updated again.
Faulty monitoring? Sending unit? Software? Would an oil pump, behaving anomalously, erratically (and apparently
periodically) temporarily boost the pressure a fixed amount?

Where are the Porsche (Macan?) oil pump experts?

Her's a thread with the opposite problem - a low oil pressure reading:

From this URL: is the following description:

Integrated dry-sump lubrication and a modified oil sump shape have been developed for the petrol engines destined​
for use in the Macan. These modifications enable optimum engine lubrication – even in extreme driving situations. What’s​
more, they contribute to a particularly low centre of gravity while allowing the ground clearance to be increased. The oil
pump operates as required and is driven by the balancer shaft module.

A beyersporsche parts website notes:

If the oil pump in your Porsche Macan is in need of attention, you'll likely have an oil pressure light or notice your oil pressure
gauge reads low. Your engine might also sound noisier than usual.

How about the oil pump pickup tube? Does this reading spike occur during hard cornering activities?

Also see:

· Registered
445 Posts
The pump is not boosting, in this case it just fails to limit the output as required by the DME, a faulty mechanical pump will only decrease the pressure.
It can also be a case of a bad oil pressure sender but I've seen many more cases of faulty pump solenoids than senders on newer cars.

· Registered
5 Posts
The oil pump works on demand on the Macan engine (and all newer porsche engines), it's controlled via a solenoid, a bad solenoid can cause the pump to stop controlling and keeping the pressure where the DME want it to be and spike to it's full potential.
I'm pretty sure that a fault code must be triggered at that point, keep an eye on it and if it happens again and you have warranty take it back to another dealer were they listen to what you say!
Great, sound advise, thanks and getting worse by the drive now and going as low as 10 psi at idle to the spike high of 45 psi every couple of minutes. Warranty remains so its going back in AGAIN. As a gauge scanning long time Porsche owner/driver its impossible to miss the rapid psi movement even though some express some concern over eyes not on the road. Give me a break!

· Premium Member
7,165 Posts
Did the dealer pull any error codes?

· Registered
677 Posts
Picked up our 2021 GTS on Monday, and something came up on the 260 km drive home from the dealership. An oil pressure fluctuation that I have never seen before.

Every 5 to 15 minutes, the oil pressure would climb from from 22/24 psi to 43/44 psi in about 3 or 4 seconds. It would hold the higher pressure for a few seconds, then drop back to 22/24 in a couple of seconds. As the pressure was dropping back, the oil temperature would rise from about 98F to 105F in a couple of seconds, hold for a few seconds, then taking a minute or two to drop back to 98F or so. Engine speed in the 2000 RPM range at highway speed (110 to 120 mph).

Phoned dealer a they said it was normal. It’s been bothering me all week, so I thought I’d ask the collective wisdom of the forum. It would certainly put my mind at rest if others have seen this too.

Thanks.

· Super Moderator
4,463 Posts
98F oil temperature while traveling at 110-120 MPH? That doesn't sound reasonable to me!

Even at 105F, why would someone be running their engine at 100+ MPH when the oil is that cold - if the
displayed temperature is anywhere near correct? ~185F is considered, in general, oil that has reached
operating temperature.

Since you appear to have been around for a while (~600 posts), you must have seen the following thread:

Yes? No?

· Registered
677 Posts
@oqjnLu>W ; , boy did I screw up on my units!! Let me try again ...

“Every 5 to 15 minutes, the oil pressure would climb from from 22/24 psi to 43/44 psi in about 3 or 4 seconds. It would hold the higher pressure for a few seconds, then drop back to 22/24 psi in a couple of seconds. As the pressure was dropping back, the oil temperature would rise from about 98C to 105C in a couple of seconds, hold for a few seconds, then taking a minute or two to drop back to 98C or so. Engine speed in the 2000 RPM range at highway speed (110 to 120 kph). “

I hope that makes more sense!

I’ll check that other thread you posted. I had searched forum archives, but perhaps not thoroughly enough.

Thanks.

· Registered
677 Posts
Thanks again @oqjnLu>W ; I read that thread and the original poster @rcwright ; saw exactly the same issue that I was seeing.

It seems there is at least one other person experiencing the same issue.

I’ll follow up on that thread to see if @rcwright ; had a resolution.

· Registered
677 Posts
@rcwright ; I’m seeing the same thing on our new GTS, but not quite as frequently (occurs every 5 to 15 minutes). Only noticed it at highway speeds driving it back from picking it up at the dealership last Monday (don’t watch the gauges as frequently when driving in the city).

Just wondering if you found there was a fault that needs fixing, or is it normal?

As far as I can tell you and I are the only ones that have noticed the issue(?).

· Registered
1 Posts
@rcwright ; I’m seeing the same thing on our new GTS, but not quite as frequently (occurs every 5 to 15 minutes). Only noticed it at highway speeds driving it back from picking it up at the dealership last Monday (don’t watch the gauges as frequently when driving in the city).

Just wondering if you found there was a fault that needs fixing, or is it normal?

As far as I can tell you and I are the only ones that have noticed the issue(?).
I'm seeing this exact issue as well. 2020 Macan S, purchased as CPO with 3800 miles, now has 5600 miles 2 months later. Does this at intermittent time periods, but always spikes to 35-40ish PSI for few seconds before declining again to 22ish, the cruising normal range. Also, I don't see the PSI increase with RPM until over 2600 or so, then it steadily climbs with increasing revs, as expected.

· Registered
677 Posts
I'm seeing this exact issue as well. 2020 Macan S, purchased as CPO with 3800 miles, now has 5600 miles 2 months later. Does this at intermittent time periods, but always spikes to 35-40ish PSI for few seconds before declining again to 22ish, the cruising normal range. Also, I don't see the PSI increase with RPM until over 2600 or so, then it steadily climbs with increasing revs, as expected.
Makes me ask the question : is it normal or does it need some attention?

If it is normal, my question is why? What purpose does it serve?

· Registered
677 Posts
See @Her95B's post above. That forum member seems to be very knowledgable!
Thanks. I read the post and I was not totally clear if it is a problem or not. But it sounds like if it is a problem it would generate a fault code. There is no warning showing up on the dash, so if I understand correctly it is not a serious fault if a fault at all.

Dealer says is not unusual.

Just driven too many cars over the years, and rapid oil pressure change is bored into my brain as not a good thing.

Ill take it in to have it checked for fault codes next time the dealer is down here for their shop days.

Interested to hear what others hear from their dealers on the issue.

· Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone! Brand new 2021 Macan Turbo (including sport chrono package) owner here and have a couple questions regarding the oil temps and oil pressure. I have searched and seen numerous threads on this topic but some were back from 2015/2016 so not sure if things have changed over the years. So here we go....

Oil Temp
  1. I have noticed my oil temp when cruising around 75-80 in 65-70 degree weather on the the highway fluctuates between 212-223. One thing that is concerning to me reading from other threads is that I don't notice a big difference between normal mode, sport mode, or sport + mode. I keep seeing people mention how in sport mode sport + mode they don't see temps over 200 and a typical difference of 20 or so degree from normal to the sport modes due to the cooling properties that are engaged.

Oil Pressure
  1. Oil pressure just seems so low but maybe I am just comparing it to other cars I have owned that aren't comparable. When starting it after sitting all night in my garage that is consistent with the ambient temp of like 60 degrees it is at around 20 PSI in normal mode. Once it warms up it hovers between 14-15 PSI. Since Sport and Sport + raise the RPMS a little bit at idle, hot it will hover between 17-18 PSI.
  2. Oil pressure does this weird thing where randomly when cruising it will all of a sudden shoot up to 40 or so PSI from 20-22 PSI for a couple seconds. Then drops right back down to 22 PSI. I saw a thread about someone with a 2020 or 2021 GTS who noticed this too but didn't look like anyone every posted a definitive answer if this was normal or not.
Idle
  1. When sitting in park in comfort mode you can feel the car shaking from underneath you (my wife noticed this and she usually doesn't notice anything). If you bump it up to sport or sport + mode it is still there but gets significantly better with the raised RPMS. I texted my salesman about this and he gave me the typical answer that it is normal and the car doesn't like the low RPMs of comfort mode. Maybe it is true but never trust the salesman at their word lol.
Hopefully some of you can share some insight into these experiences. Right now I am planning to call the service department and am worried my brand new car with only a couple hundred miles is already having problems :(. Thanks in advance for any of your help!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts