Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
LOL doesn't look too bad!

Warning to all, never put in more than 8.5 qts when doing an oil change. The oil measurement on the Macan is not always accurate and it changes substantially sometimes, as I observed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
so, drained about 1.25qts back into the original bottle, which has a measurement bar on the side. spilled a bit on the floor when i first unscrewed the entire screw off. So figured 1.25 should be good

turned on the car the same warning still persists, should i be worried? Will see if it goes away after wife drives it for a bit more today...

And +1 on the tricky oil measurement, DON'T OVERFILL IT its a pain in the butt

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
You should probably have drained a little more since you can always add some back in.

Now keep driving for a while to see what the measurement says. I think you are pretty safe at this point.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You should probably have drained a little more since you can always add some back in.

Now keep driving for a while to see what the measurement says. I think you are pretty safe at this point.

Thanks! Wife drove to work this morning and the light went away. Phew.

BTW so good to see this forum still going strong. Remember the good old days hanging here daily when i first got the car in end of 2014.

48000+ miles later car still good (may have ****** it up this time with the oil change, lol) and forum still super helpful!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I do my own oil changes on all my vehicles including my Macan. One thing with the Macan is I try not to overfill it. The first time I did the oil change on my Macan I overfilled it so I ended up draining about 1/4 of a quart of oil to avoid the "overfill warning message". As a precautionary measure now I measure the oil I take out of the engine before replacing it. Last week I changed the oil after 1 year (7000 miles). I replaced the exact amount of oil that I removed and after a day of driving I get the "overfill oil message". Its a yellow warning on the dash but it says I can continue to drive the car but should take it for service. The message comes and goes. Sometimes its green (saying the level is ok). Hopefully I will burn some off tomorrow on a 100 mile trip. Its not a good idea to overfill the oil but because I measured it before hand I am not that worried about it. If you change your own oil stay shy as you can always add more without the hassle of draining the excess.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Overfill light came on out of nowhere...about 700 miles after TTC repair at dealer. When the light came on I knew for certain it had not been overfilled so I assumed it would go away when I started it up the next day. Nope! Still there when I started it up... until I drove for about 20 miles and it went away. Will be interesting to see how often this happens.

Incredibly annoying. Out of warranty 18 days, of course.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Overfill light came on out of nowhere...about 700 miles after TTC repair at dealer. When the light came on I knew for certain it had not been overfilled so I assumed it would go away when I started it up the next day. Nope! Still there when I started it up... until I drove for about 20 miles and it went away. Will be interesting to see how often this happens.

Incredibly annoying. Out of warranty 18 days, of course.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it in your situation. I've slightly overfilled my Cayman and the light appeared intermittently, but ultimately went away over the course of 2-3 weeks. It definitely taught me a lesson when changing the oil in the Macan a few months ago. Very easy task, although previous vehicles were ultra easy using a topsider to remove the oil through the dip stick.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts