Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil Level in the Multi Display shows "Oil level is above Maximum". There is no yellow/red or other warnings but I can only see it when I go into the Vehicle settings. Dealer follow up said the sensor is too sensitive and not necessary to bring in the car as long as there is no warnings.
Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yup. Me. First time I changed the oil, after I finally managed to get a reading, it showed low. Soooo, I added some. Too much. I got the same yellow PITA warning. I fixed it by dropping only the front half of the belly pan and managed to balance a small catch tray under the oil filter. Removed it, replaced it, put it back together. Level was perfect.

That little display readout is linear to what gauge I have no idea! Same goes for the gas gauge. It's for sure not linear.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Same here. I am not concerned. The oil level has a range min to max. As long as it is in that range it is ok.

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
In a traditional wet sump system, overfilling the oil could possibly result in seepage past
the oil seals, since the system could be running at too high an oil pressure.

...not sure what the ramifications are of overfilling a dry sump system, such as Porsche uses...

:eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
In a traditional wet sump system, overfilling the oil could possibly result in seepage past
the oil seals, since the system could be running at too high an oil pressure.

...not sure what the ramifications are of overfilling a dry sump system, such as Porsche uses...

:eek:

Agreed. I’d check it a couple more times; if it consistently stayed high I’d drain more Oil out. Over filling can cause damage if too full for a sustained period. If it’s high, but not overfilled, probably not an issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same here. I am not concerned. The oil level has a range min to max. As long as it is in that range it is ok.
It shows as being above the max range in the display mdm.(hence the display message when I go to Vehicle settings - oil measurement)

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
I’d look into it

Oil Level in the Multi Display shows "Oil level is above Maximum". There is no yellow/red or other warnings but I can only see it when I go into the Vehicle settings. Dealer follow up said the sensor is too sensitive and not necessary to bring in the car as long as there is no warnings.
Anyone else seen this?
Oil level above max is not good. Not getting the oil up to the 212 degrees operating temperature can cause condensation to accrue over time. If this occurs water continues to accrue giving you an over maximum oil level. Generally when the dealer changes the oil in my Macan it generally reads 1/2 quart low.

Not sure of you location but if the car has been subjected to cold temperatures with short drives water may be the issue. Take the time to get this checked out.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Just take a hot 30 mins run every week to burn off the water.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oil level above max is not good. Not getting the oil up to the 212 degrees operating temperature can cause condensation to accrue over time. If this occurs water continues to accrue giving you an over maximum oil level. Generally when the dealer changes the oil in my Macan it generally reads 1/2 quart low.

Not sure of you location but if the car has been subjected to cold temperatures with short drives water may be the issue. Take the time to get this checked out. ��
The engine temp does get up to 212.
I called the tech and they told me as long as it is not a warning message that 'pop up' I don't have to worry. ( Not sure if I am sold on that )

·
Registered
197 Posts
Oil level above maximum

So... I change the oil on my macan the other weekend, measured and filled it up with the suggested amount of 8.5 quartz. The first time i started the car the cap wasn't sealed properly so it dripped a bit. Sealed it properly and everything was fine.

After driving it a bit the measurement came up, it showed engine oil being half filled... Found that odd, ended up dumping rest of the bottle in there, about maybe 2 quartz.

Now i get an error and a lamp that says "oil level above maximum Consult a workshop Driving permitted". The oil measurement shows the bar maxed out, above the top line.

Should i be worried? Was thinking this weekend to maybe get the car on the ramp again and let a little bit of oil leak out. Any other ways to drain a bit of oil out of the car?

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
8.5 qts + 2 additional qts are definitely too much. You have to drain the excessive oil. There’s no other way around it unless you have the base engine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
ugh! stupid measurement display. I knew something was up when i filled it to spec exactly but only showed half. You think its an urgent issue or can i do it over the weekend?

ya basically i bought 2 5quarts bottles. did 8.5 the first time, then dumped the rest. So im pretty much over by 1.5quarts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
So... I change the oil on my macan the other weekend, measured and filled it up with the suggested amount of 8.5 quartz. The first time i started the car the cap wasn't sealed properly so it dripped a bit. Sealed it properly and everything was fine.

After driving it a bit the measurement came up, it showed engine oil being half filled... Found that odd, ended up dumping rest of the bottle in there, about maybe 2 quartz.

Now i get an error and a lamp that says "oil level above maximum Consult a workshop Driving permitted". The oil measurement shows the bar maxed out, above the top line.

Should i be worried? Was thinking this weekend to maybe get the car on the ramp again and let a little bit of oil leak out. Any other ways to drain a bit of oil out of the car?
Vacum pump it. You have a two quart problem. When I change the oil in my Ducati I have learned the lesson. Always short if a half a quart and it will work out.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
ugh! stupid measurement display. I knew something was up when i filled it to spec exactly but only showed half. You think its an urgent issue or can i do it over the weekend?

ya basically i bought 2 5quarts bottles. did 8.5 the first time, then dumped the rest. So im pretty much over by 1.5quarts
I think you need to drain it now or don’t drive until the weekend.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts