Porsche Macan Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
Today marks calendar day #18. I herd from SA once letting me know that parts were on order. Don't get me started on that! Here's a question for you oil leakers....

Macan has 30K miles.... and I got to thinking how easy it would be to replace the drive belt with the engine out. New belt retail price is about $70 ($50 from Sunset). Drive belts are good for 100K+ miles (although some people only claim 60K miles).

Wondering if it is worth asking SA for price to install new belt with engine out? Even if I only had to pay for cost of new belt (which I doubt) is it worth $70 to replace belt with only 30K miles on it? It's reportedly a $1200+ job with the engine in. Thoughts?

...mine was in the shop for ONE MONTH!

Apparently they only let one tech do the engine out jobs and it would seem he was working on
more than one engine out job at that time.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
...mine was in the shop for ONE MONTH!

Apparently they only let one tech do the engine out jobs and it would seem he was working on
more than one engine out job at that time.
Also, each Porsche engine requires it’s own unique jig to hold the engine while out of the car. If a shop has only one jig for the Macan lets say, then a queue is inevitable and repair times get extended.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Follow-up: I took pictures, sent to my service advisor at dealer, and requested appointment to repair. SA called back today to tell me that I need to drop off car so that they can "clean" the engine and apply some sort of leak tracker powder. Then they want me to drive car for 1000 miles, which is about two months...or the end of the warranty period for me. Then I need to return to the dealer a second time and they will repair if necessary. Is this really how it is done??? I haven't read a single forum posting in which someone with a TCC leak has to go to the dealer twice to get this fixed. Am I being messed with?
I had exactly the same BS from my dealer except that it happened twice. The first time there was "too much oil generally dispersed' under the motor, wheel arches, suspension, steering and running all back through the tunnel. They said that they could not tell exactly where it was coming from so they cleaned it and gave me the 1,000 mile line.

I got home and had to clean it properly and bought a bore scope and waited... As soon as the leak appeared and as you can see (surprise surprise) it is coming from the crank case cover. I take it back to them and what the "F" was their response? It is not leaking enough, it has to be dripping on the floor!

So I am at round three and unfortunately the lock down has slowed me down but I assure you that sooner or later they will be fixing it!

By the way, this is why they are hesitant to just fix the leak. It is a very big and expensive job. No excuse though and the whole experience has soured me on Porsche warranty and support.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I had exactly the same BS from my dealer except that it happened twice. The first time there was "too much oil generally dispersed' under the motor, wheel arches, suspension, steering and running all back through the tunnel. They said that they could not tell exactly where it was coming from so they cleaned it and gave me the 1,000 mile line.

I got home and had to clean it properly and bought a bore scope and waited... As soon as the leak appeared and as you can see (surprise surprise) it is coming from the crank case cover. I take it back to them and what the "F" was their response? It is not leaking enough, it has to be dripping on the floor!

So I am at round three and unfortunately the lock down has slowed me down but I assure you that sooner or later they will be fixing it!
View attachment 230987

By the way, this is why they are hesitant to just fix the leak. It is a very big and expensive job. No excuse though and the whole experience has soured me on Porsche warranty and support.
View attachment 230988
Thanks for posting the photos...

·
Registered
407 Posts
just had a 15k oil change by my independent dealer. they advised me that my TCC is showing the sign of leakage but not bad yet. Glad I have warranty but disappointed as this has to be some design flaw. not that many miles on my Macan.

·
Registered
840 Posts

View attachment 230987

View attachment 230988
Yeah - I really wish I had taken a pic of mine sitting on ground next to my car! It’s crazy to see that happen to a regular daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
Found the dreaded timing cover oil leak today while changing the oil. Looks like it was leaking for a little while, dripping onto/into the alternator as well.

Went into the dealer today for warranty repair. Asked them to replace the alternator as well if they could due to it being oil soaked. Will update this thread with any additional info.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Add me to the list.

2015 Macan S with 40,000 miles. Always serviced at dealer on time.

They charged me $200 to apply the tracer and told me to come back in 1000 miles. Which is many months given the state of the world. I'm barley driving 30m/week right now.

I'll update once they confirm it's the TC cover.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
...They charged me $200 to apply the tracer and told me to come back in 1000 miles. ...
Did they say they would cover the repair if it is the expected TC oil leak? So, for this Known issue, out of warranty, they require you to pay for the diagnostic test.

I hope they fix it @ N/C & reimburse you for the $200.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Why do you need a tracer test? Just take a look under the belly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They claimed it was to provide evidence that they did everything to confirm it to Porsche, but I'm sure it was a scam.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
If the alternator is oil soaked warranty work should replace it as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got the fuel campaign and timing chain leak fixed last week. 7 days in the shop. Parts list is impressively long.

2017 Macan GTS 60,000 km

·
Registered
93 Posts
2017 Macan GTS. Just under 30k miles. Found leak during oil change. Need to contact dealer. Warranty expired March 2020 but looks like Porsche extended warranty for 3 months due to Covid-19. Lucky me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got the fuel campaign and timing chain leak fixed last week. 7 days in the shop. Parts list is impressively long.

2017 Macan GTS 60,000 km

View attachment 231339
View attachment 231340
If I counted correctly, 191 new nuts, bolts or screws.
I read somewhere the timing cover bolts are aluminium and the heads break off.
Maybe a factory torquing problem or poor quality bolts, or just a stupid idea to use aluminium bolts.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts