Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do you mean changing bolts for existing Macan’s?
Yes. That would be an option. We didnt talk too much about it but before I bought my Macan I went by and they gave me the back story on what the issues were, maint cost, etc. He knows I was concerned about a few things. There used to be a procedure where they would drop the engine but that is no longer a requirement. I asked if I should change them out now and he said just wait until there was actually a problem, IF there was one, because most are fine and never see an issue. I have an appt next week for something else and he said he would explain then.

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
Do you mean changing bolts for existing Macan’s?
Not sure what you're getting at here.

Are you planning to try and have your dealer proactively swap out TCC Torx bolts?
From the information available, it does not sound as though Porsche is authorizing
that.

Again, most Macans on the road do not have a TCC oil leak as a result of fractured
mounting bolts.

Statements made indicate Porsche may provide support for TCC bolt replacement
if/when the TCC develops an oil leak (reported by or from the result of an investigation
initiated by the customer), caused by fractured TCC bolts.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
I thought for some Macan's by VIN #? Porsche can identify those affected cars and proactively changes out the bolts.

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
I thought for some Macan's by VIN #? Porsche can identify those affected cars and proactively changes out the bolts.

Like other campaigns, an issue may be known to the manufacturer and if/when a customer initiates
an investigation into it, it will be addressed. Otherwise, the manufacturer lets "sleeping dogs lie". As long as the
issue is not safety related, there is no requirement to issue a recall.

If it's not a problem for the customer (that is, they haven't noticed or said anything about it), then there is no problem.

I don't believe Porsche knows the VINs of the vehicles containing engines with the "sleeper" TCC Torx bolts. If
they do, they aren't reaching out!

·
Registered
50 Posts
2017 GTS. 31k miles. I noticed drops of oil on the undertray at the 30k oil change. It was dripping off the A/C compressor (front driver's side of engine).
image10.jpeg

I looked around the valve covers and timing chain covers with a boroscope and could see leaks for sure at the valve covers. Couldn't tell if the timing chain covers were also leaking or were just being drooled on from the valve covers.

Valve cover leaks for sure: image6.jpeg image1.jpeg
Timing chain cover. Looking at the gasket edge-wise and one of those famous aluminum screws: image2.jpeg Possible leak?

So, took the Macan into the dealer. First question was "It is dripping?" Yes, it was dripping onto the undertray. "Good, because Porsche won't authorize a fix unless it's dripping."

The tech determined that the valve cover gaskets were leaking a believed that to be source of the problem. Replaced and sealed both valve cover gaskets under warranty. Did a nice job cleaning up the engine.

I hope that fixes it. Or if not, that it starts leaking again really bad before the warranty expires.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
Was it an engine out repair?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Was it an engine out repair?
No. You can get at the valve covers without pulling the engine. As for cleaning up the engine, in the same service visit, they had the nose off to replace the water pump (leaking) so were probably had better access for cleaning it up.

·
Registered
394 Posts
2017 GTS. 31k miles. I noticed drops of oil on the undertray at the 30k oil change. It was dripping off the A/C compressor (front driver's side of engine).
View attachment 229664

I looked around the valve covers and timing chain covers with a boroscope and could see leaks for sure at the valve covers. Couldn't tell if the timing chain covers were also leaking or were just being drooled on from the valve covers.

Valve cover leaks for sure: View attachment 229665 View attachment 229666
Timing chain cover. Looking at the gasket edge-wise and one of those famous aluminum screws: View attachment 229667 Possible leak?

So, took the Macan into the dealer. First question was "It is dripping?" Yes, it was dripping onto the undertray. "Good, because Porsche won't authorize a fix unless it's dripping."

The tech determined that the valve cover gaskets were leaking a believed that to be source of the problem. Replaced and sealed both valve cover gaskets under warranty. Did a nice job cleaning up the engine.

I hope that fixes it. Or if not, that it starts leaking again really bad before the warranty expires.
They tried to say mine was only valve covers as well. It looked just like yours. It was the timing chain cover and the valve covers.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
This was posted on MF a while back & I thought it showed that the only proper repair of this was to remove the engine. Just changing the bolts was not really a fix, probably due to the gasket issue mentioned by ttmacan.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes. If it starts leaking again, that TSB is what I'll be insisting they do. So far, it's bone dry, but we've only put 100 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
No question the shorter, easier "repair" of merely changing some of the bolts... w/o removing the engine, is much cheaper & easier for Porsche.
I just do NOT think it is a proper, permeant repair & the TSB backs up this opinion.
I think it is a shortcut. Maybe they hope you will be out of warranty or sell the car or move away b4 it obviously leaks once again from this ½ A$$ repair.

·
Registered
394 Posts
No question the shorter, easier "repair" of merely changing some of the bolts... w/o removing the engine, is much cheaper & easier for Porsche.
I just do NOT think it is a proper, permeant repair & the TSB backs up this opinion.
I think it is a shortcut. Maybe they hope you will be out of warranty or sell the car or move away b4 it obviously leaks once again from this ½ A$$ repair.
Yeap just kicking the ball down the road.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks guys. Just when I was feeling hopeful . . .

Sounds like I have 16 months or 19k miles left to make it leak again from the timing chain covers.

I'm now wondering if they put any goop in my oil to seal up the leaks. Maybe I should do another oil change.

So if they are avoiding fixing the leak, that would be something orchestrated by Porsche Cars North America, right? I mean the dealer would be motivated to do the warranty work and have PCNA pay them, right?

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
I must have missed the post where dlguig83 indicated that some of his Macan's TCC bolts ahd been changed.
Come to think of it, it was jzwu who proposed proactively replacing TCC bolts. dlguig83 stated his Macan's
valve cover gaskets had been replaced, since the dealer tech determined those were the sources of the leak(s).

As for the dealer having incentive to perform warranty work, this has been commented on previously. Apparently, the dealership can make
more money doing regular service work - that Porsche doesn't compensate them "enough". Too bad, because we customers have already
paid for warranty coverage rolled into our purchase prices. Remember, nothing is really "free".

Perhaps the best recommendation at this point is simply to keep an eye on your engine. Since the valve cover gaskets have been replaced
(mine were too when my TCC issue was addressed), any leaking done now would not likely have those areas as its source, leaving the TCC
as a possible point of origin.

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the luck. I'm certainly watching for leaks.

And no, to the best of my knowledge, the dealer didn't touch or replace the TCC bolts.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
Valve cove and timing chain cover are two different things.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
My mistake.

I read dlguig83's post too quickly. He mentioned the timing cover. But, that is NOT what the dealer fixed so all is good. They just fixed valve cover gasket leak which is standard, I assume. Remove the valve covers & replace the gaskets.

I have the timing cover leak factory defect on my mind whenever I hear Macan & oil leak in the same sentence!

·
Registered
24 Posts
'17 Macan S 27,500 miles. TCC. 10 weeks remaining on factory warranty. Missed a bullet. Probably won't be so lucky with transfer case if/when that happens.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
TC should be on Porsche goodwill. No worries there.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts