·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I Have a macan with 3,0 tdi engine,
After i change the engine oil and filter it has leaking oil a LOT on the right side of the engine..
I change the oil filter cover but the oil is still leaking..

Help me Please
Regards,
Roy

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
It is not warranty but goodwill since the TC has a design flaw.
If we're talking about the timing chain cover, the issue is not one of a design flaw, rather one of
installation. Some number of the Torx bolts used to affix the cover to the engine block were over
torqued when the engine was assembled. Some time later, after multiple hot/cold cycles, some
number of the bolts may fracture allowing oil to seep between the engine block and the timing
chain cover.

😉

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello,
I Have a macan with 3,0 tdi engine,
After i change the engine oil and filter it has leaking oil a LOT on the right side of the engine..
I change the oil filter cover but the oil is still leaking..

Help me Please
Regards,
Roy
Did you use a new O-ring on the filter housing? Was the O-ring put on properly? Did you over or under torque the oil filter housing when you reinstalled it? Did you add the correct amount of oil? Any of these could be the cause of the leaking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Similar story to Paul...

42,000 miles. 2016 Macan S. Went to independent shop for oil change, they said there's an oil leak, possibly from the turbochargers. Took to dealer, confirmed that it's the timing cover, and that it's a 6 hour job (@ $205/hr) though thankfully should be covered by warranty which is about to run out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Similar story to Paul...

42,000 miles. 2016 Macan S. Went to independent shop for oil change, they said there's an oil leak, possibly from the turbochargers. Took to dealer, confirmed that it's the timing cover, and that it's a 6 hour job (@ $205/hr) though thankfully should be covered by warranty which is about to run out.
here we go, 6 hour job, interesting. Wonder how they know it doesn't have a broken bolt which has been the issue. That s an engine out job. No 6 hours. More info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
2015 Macan S w/ 66k miles. Just purchased and had a PPI done last week. Indy shop found the leak. It's a CPO so it's going into the dealer on 1/7.

Notes:
Oil leaking from timing cover.
Active leak making to the lower engine cover.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
ALSO... the o-ring goes in a specific place on the oil filter canister - NOT all the way down to the shoulder.
See the illustration below:

View attachment 227761
And there are two similar but different Orings available This may have since been resolved, but a while back some dealers and aftermarket parts suppliers were selling the wrong ones.

·
Registered
176 Posts
ALSO... the o-ring goes in a specific place on the oil filter canister - NOT all the way down to the shoulder.
See the illustration below:

View attachment 227761
That was my issue, the oil leak ended up being just the wrong o-ring that was installed by the dealer i bought the car from and was not installed properly and it eventually caused a leak.

Make sure you guys buy the correct washer, filter and o-ring so no leaks appear down the road and follow the diagram sample posted by [email protected]

MAHLE Original OX254D4ECO Oil Filter MAHLE Original OX254D4ECO Oil Filter: Automotive

OEM Oil Drain Plug + (5) Crush Aluminum Gasket Washers For Porsche Macan https://amzn.to/2tp17lp

OEM Oil O-Ring for Porsche Macan Amazon.com: Porsche Sealing Ring: Automotive

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Indy in Greenfield, MA has estimated $5K for the timing cover gasket replacement. I reached out PCNA via web and phone re goodwill. No response from either channel thus far.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
Go to dealer and let dealer work with Porsche on goodwill.

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
My Indy in Greenfield, MA has estimated $5K for the timing cover gasket replacement. I reached out PCNA via web and phone re goodwill. No response from either channel thus far.

It looks to me as though sealant is used, rather than a gasket. Further, if the timing chain cover is leaking the
root cause is likely the fracture of one or more timing chain cover Torx bolts that were over-torqued when the
engine was assembled in Leipzig. This is a known issue with Macan models, affecting a small percentage.

The Porsche approved resolution involves an engine out procedure affecting lubrication, cooling and A/C systems.

You really do want some goodwill from PCNA and/or your local Porsche dealer.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It looks to me as though sealant is used, rather than a gasket. Further, if the timing chain cover is leaking the
root cause is likely the fracture of one or more timing chain cover Torx bolts that were over-torqued when the
engine was assembled in Leipzig. This is a known issue with Macan models, affecting a small percentage.

The Porsche approved resolution involves an engine out procedure affecting lubrication, cooling and A/C systems.

You really do want some goodwill from PCNA and/or your local Porsche dealer.
There are also metal crush gaskets. The sealant is used as well as the gaskets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spoke to a PCNA rep today. They said they will reach out to the diagnosing dealer (Jack Daniels in USR, NJ) and get back to me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I heard just today Porsche authorized the bolts can be changed. I will get more details next week.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
I heard just today Porsche authorized the bolts can be changed. I will get more details next week.
Do you mean changing bolts for existing Macan’s?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts