Porsche Macan Forum banner
241 - 260 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had a leak in my 2018 S at the timing cover, under warranty and took a little over a week to repair.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
02/14/2021 Oil leak from the timing cover on 2019 Macan Base @ 34,655 miles.

In for service today (trusted independent) getting rear rotors, pads, sensors (front are fine) and 5,000 mile oil change. Noted leak and I am having them repair rather than getting the car near a dealer.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Car Back Report, re Valve Cover Leak:

Recap:

I noted earlier in this thread (post 252, page 13) that I dropped off my '18 S at the local dealership early on Tuesday, 02/09/2021. A service associate called me that afternoon, to tell me that it was a valve cover leak, and that they should be done "by the end of the week."

Result:

Sure enough, on Friday afternoon, 02/12/2021, I got a call, informing me that the car was ready. I picked it up, and it seems fine.

I may crawl on the floor one of these days, if I feel adventurous, and see whether I can determine if they cleaned the under-carriage tray. Or maybe not.

In any case, they seemed to have changed the oil correctly (more of which in a second). I posted a pic a week or two ago, showing the oil level about 3/4 up, between the min and max lines. After I got home yesterday (a 20-minute trip), and after the car was off for c. five minutes, I checked the level (speaking of which, my garage floor has a slope of 1 - 2°, but I think that doesn't have a significant effect on the readout):

Okay, so that's that. If anyone's interested -- say, you want to see the parts list for this repair -- here's the invoice I received.

A couple of notes:
  • There's an oil change in there, too, since the car was close enough to its 50,000-mile service requirement that they asked to do it then, as long as they had the car on a lift, etc. (I had originally planned to wait a month or two, since we aren't driving that much lately.)
  • The invoice is off by a thousand miles, I discovered when I read through it, when I got home. It should read 48,986, not 49,986. I called them up and told them about that, so they could correct their computer entry.
  • Yeah, yeah, those of you who go to an indie or DIY oil changes will be aghast at the price of the oil change. Let's not beat that dead horse now, please.

That's all I got.

·
Registered
72 Posts
2017 GTS. Manufactured Feb 2016. 42000 miles. Timing chain and valve covers leaking. Having Indy shop do repair now. They also pulled the engine. Smelled burning oil after parking then saw oil spot under filter. I have always DIY my oil changes and have not noticed oil leaking. This came on quickly between November 2020 and now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2018 Macan S, 51,300 miles. Confirmed timing cover oil leak. 4 page part list, 40 labor hours to fix. Around $10k total for the repair. I'm really thankful I purchased the extended warranty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
2018 Macan S delivered new in Sept 2017 and 39K miles. 40,000 mile service cost approx $1600 and brake flush was $200. I bought the prepaid service for around $3,000 for 4 years. Have 1 more prepaid service at 5yr/50K miles.

I told them there was occasional oil drop on garage floor. Diag-Timing Chain Cover leak. Parts on order and will return in June for repair. They will need the car for about a week.

I have used the same Porsche dealer for all services

·
Registered
2003 911 C4S (sold), 2018 Macan S
2 Posts
Found the dreaded timing cover oil leak today while changing the oil. Looks like it was leaking for a little while, dripping onto/into the alternator as well.

Went into the dealer today for warranty repair. Asked them to replace the alternator as well if they could due to it being oil soaked. Will update this thread with any additional info.
My 2018 Macan S with 33k miles underwent the timing chain repair a month ago. I pointed out oil was seeping onto the alternator which could lead to failure and requested it to be replaced. The dealer said it’s not part of the Porsche repair procedure. A month after I got the car back the alternator failed leaving me on the side of the highway. It’s back at the dealer. Anyone else having premature alternator failures?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had the timing chain repair in Dec. and also my alternator was dripping with oil. Had the same response from the dealer on replacement of it. They only cleaned it will see if it fails.
But I filed a complain with NHTSA about the oil leak and that the alternator might fail and be a safety issues.
NHTSA that due

·
Registered
7 Posts
Confirming that I did have the timing chain cover leak and it was repaired under warranty by my dealer. Dropped the vehicle off May 19th, received it back June 15th, the same day my warranty expired.

The car seems to be driving fine although I'm quite nervous and very hesitant to keep this vehicle now. Who knows how many things could have gone wrong in the process of removing the engine and transmission from the vehicle and putting them back in.

I first reported this on the "Oil Leak Anyone?" thread here: Oil leak anyone?

The service invoice is attached for anyone who is interested.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,647 Posts
1. IIRC, the Porsche approved procedure to fix the TCC oil leak does not include removing the transmission - "only" the engine.

2. While several systems require disconnect/reconnect as part of correcting the leaking TCC issue, the Porsche dealer is not going to want to
see the vehicle return as a "come back" because of a faulty repair. It is highly likely is it repaired correctly the first time. There have been very​
few reports of multiple TCC repair attempts.​

3. Unless you're doing your own repairs - and even then - there's always some element of risk. The good news about a Porsche dealer repair is
it is backed by some sort of workmanship and/or parts warranty.​

If you're really concerned, remove the underpanel in a couple of hundred miles, then again at 500 and 1000 to ensure there's no oil seepage.

I had my Macan's TCC oil seep repair completed about 10K miles ago. I've been under there several times and always check to ensure things
remain dry.

Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 2016 Macan S was already repaired last year for timing chain cover oil leak. Found a new leak yesterday. There are oil spots on the garage floor under front passenger side. Interestingly, I had the oil change completed at dealer just a month back. Is it possible, something was left loose during oil change that is causing this leak? Is there any other common issue with 1st gen Macan that causes oil leaks? I have an appointment for Thursday to have the dealer look at it. Will post here what I find.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
My 2016 Macan S was already repaired last year for timing chain cover oil leak. Found a new leak yesterday. There are oil spots on the garage floor under front passenger side. Interestingly, I had the oil change completed at dealer just a month back. Is it possible, something was left loose during oil change that is causing this leak? Is there any other common issue with 1st gen Macan that causes oil leaks? I have an appointment for Thursday to have the dealer look at it. Will post here what I find.
The other most common leak (based on my forum reading for four years … plus, I had one) is a leak from a valve cover.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If in the passenger side, and you had your oil recently changed, you can check the filter housing, which could also be a culprit if not reinstalled appropriately.

Let’s hope is that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
The oil leak was due to valve cover (bad gasket on bank 1 - passenger side). Fixed by dealership under 2 year warranty of the timing chain cover leak repair. No charge.

·
Registered
303 Posts
2015 Macan Turbo w/ 65,000 miles - Dealer noted issue of oil leaking from the front timing gasket and should be re-seal. Recommend replacing the front timing cover gasket and bolts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Macan S, 26K miles, purchased new. TC leak was diagnosed last week. Repair estimate is >$14K. Out of warranty by date, not miles.
Haven't decided yet what to do and would be happy to have advice. The price seems excessive to me.
Negotiate cost with dealer? Find a good independent repair shop? Other? I don't feel committed to keeping the car, although I enjoy it very much.
Thanks in advance.

241 - 260 of 261 Posts