Porsche Macan Forum banner
221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Has your Porsche dealer repaired; "timing belt cover leak, oil pan leak, oil cooler leak" ...all under warranty? Engine out repair for timing cover leak?

Depending on this new leak, you may want to take it to a different dealer, if possible.

In addition to fixing the latest leak, ask them to go over the entire car looking for problems.
Way too many problems for a new car.

Best of luck!
Engine was pulled for timing belt repair. The repairs have been all done under warranty. My warranty ended Oct 15th and I've now got another leak so I called corporate last week and they are suppose to get back to me today. The lady on the phone did say this all sounds like a recurring problem. (whatever that's suppose to mean) I'm totally over this vehicle but how can I in good faith sell this car to someone else? I would have to trade it in and basically disclose why im getting rid of it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Picked up my car from Beaverton Porsche today after the timing chain cover repair. Warranty covered all of it. The invoice had two and half pages of parts, which included valve cover gaskets as well. Of course, every washer and every nut had its own line in the invoice.

So far I put just under 100 miles on the car, no issues. No vibrations of any kind. Looks like they did an excellent job. They kept the car for 8 work days. The invoice also included 4-wheel alignment and Lane Assist cameras calibration.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do you mean the well known timing chain case/cover oil leak or did you have a problem with the actual timing chain, as against what you describe as the"timing belt"?

Hope you'll forgive the question but there tends to be confusion about timing case, the transfer case etc.
I apologize, yes for the timing chain cover. Was typing faster than I was thinking

·
Registered
323 Posts
Picked our GTS up from Porsche on Thursday, 11/5 after almost 3 weeks in the shop for the TCC leaks. They repaired that, changed the oil and filter, replaced the coolant and ...... did a 4-wheel alignment... Anyway I put the car up on my lift and found one bolt for the belly pan loose and barely on and one missing entirely. I tightened the one and ordered the other. After driving it for a week I will pull the belly pan ext weekend and check it out and see if it is dry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So you can add my '18 GTS to the list forTCC leak. Engine was clean at 35K km when I flushed the brakes and did the filters but oil residue appeared by 43K km when I changed the oil. No smell at all. No issue with warranty even though I do all my own service.

Service person told me that they are doing one Macan per week and this is a fairly small dealership.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello everyone. It's been quite a while since I posted. I picked up my MY17 Macan S in April 2016. Current mileage 45,766. I've done all scheduled maintenance myself thus far (oil, brake fluid, spark plugs, PDK fluid, filters, etc.). With the pandemic, my usage of the car has dwindled and for the first time in my life, I actually needed to change the oil based on 1 year date expiration as opposed to 10k miles. Prior oil change was 11/2/2019 @ 39,840 miles and no leaks were discovered.

This past weekend, I performed the oil change at 45,766 and discovered a wet underside with oil appearing to be coming from up above in the front of the engine, most likely timing chain cover. My warranty expired in April 2020 but then Porsche extended it 3 months to July due to the pandemic. With the car sitting most of the time, discovery of the oil leak only occurred this past weekend.

I called a local dealer who my wife is friends with the Service Manager. He knew right away about the issue, said that while the car is officially out of warranty, he'll push for a good will coverage as cost is ~$8,500. I also called PCNA and opened a ticket. I explained the car will be going to the dealer next week for diagnosis but that I was fairly confident that the issue is what many others have discovered and that I believe as a defect, Porsche should cover all costs despite the car being just out of warranty. Next update after next Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Macan S, 4 months and 1,300miles out of warranty.

Just had an oil change done and they found timing cover leak w/ a broken bolt.

Wish I would have had the oil change & inspection 4 months ago! Lesson learned, right before the warranty ends have a mechanic give it a very thorough look over.

Fingers crossed for "good will" coverage by Porsche.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Add me to the list
2017 Macan S Timing cover leak being fix out of warranty by 4 month with only 25,000 miles
Unfortunately Out of pocket $700
So waiting for SA to get back to me to ask if the dealership contribute $$ towards the repair.
Can not believe that Porsche wouldn't pay for everything except for only $700 of the repair. To leave a sour taste in a customers mouth.
FYI
This engine has had this problem since 2011 to 2018 and was used in 3 models
So I think we as owners should pay $0 for repairs.
Porsche should had fix the defect in this engine with well over of 100's of thousand made

From NHTSA website
Timing Chain Cover Repairs
This bulletin is replacing bulletin 2000, dated July 1, 2020.92A, 970, 95B 2000.1
Model Line:
Cayenne - V6T & V8 engine
Panamera - V6T & V8 engine
Macan - V6T engine
Model Year:
Cayenne, Panamera (2011 - 2017),
Macan (2015-2018)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Picked up my '17 Macan GTS from the dealer on 12/19/20 after they fixed the timing chain cover oil leak. A few highlights;

2017 Macan GTS apx 33k miles.
I purchased it preowned on 08/26/20 with 30k miles
I found the oil leak on 10/25/20 at 32k miles when doing an oil change
Had a dealer appt 10/28/20 for them to clean oil leak & apply the leak detection die. After taking the car for a short drive & then back up on the lift, they identified the leak & scheduled the appointment for the repair work.
Dropped vehicle off on 12/07/20 & picked it back up on 12/19/20.
Porsche required 100 miles be put on the vehicle after the repairs before they would reimburse dealer. Dealer would not release car to me, so that I could add these miles. This added 2-3 days to the repair time for the dealer to put the miles on the vehicle. Following the cars path on the Porsche Connect app using Geofence alerts was interesting, especially the evening that it spent at the service managers home apx 20 miles from the dealership.
Repair invoice was 5 pages long & besides numerous fasteners, gaskets & seals it included; AC system recharge, coolant flush, oil change, four wheel alignment, valve cover gasket replacement, some coolant hoses & fuel lines.
I had them replace the serpentine belt & was charged just the parts cost, no labor.
All other parts & labor costs were covered under the vehicles warrantee

Dealer provided a 2020 Cayenne coupe as a loaner. It's a nice vehicle, but I was happy to get back into the Macan GTS.
When I picked the Macan up at the dealer it was clean & they added a ½ tank of gas, since I had it close to empty when I dropped it off.
The service staff was pleasant as usual & I'm very happy with the service Porsche Beaverton provided.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had my TCC repair completed recently, started before Thanksgiving and received the car back in early Dec. They only put two miles on my car, presumably a road test after reassembly/alignment.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Brought the GTS in for service and heard back that they found an oil leak coming from the timing chain cover. It’s still under warranty, but they’ll need the car for a few days. I had been hoping we were one of the lucky ones. Guess not.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Our GTS had the TCC fix about 2 months ago at Porsche under warranty. So far, no leaks.

Reactions: Brendylp

·
Registered
2017 Macan S, Sport Exhaust, Cobb, Flat6 Airfilters, DV
88 Posts
I have a 2017 S with 40,000. Purchased at last year with 37k miles as a CPO. Haven’t driven much the past yr. discovered the dreaded leak and is now at the dealer. Dealer is reviewing, but did a quick check and said it’s the engine out option for me. They will confirm this in the morning. Just wondering if I should get any additional service while the engine is out. More preventive maintenance stuff. probably a lot cheaper then waiting for something to actually break. I plan on keeping the car so would like to plan ahead. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Today my car guy came to detail my beloved. Came downstairs to chat with him and since he was working on the car out in the driveway I noticed spots on the garage floor where I normally park my GTS. I never can see the floor under the car since when i leave in the AM its dark and when i come home its dark.

Grey Black-and-white Beige Monochrome Monochrome photography

I stick my finger in one of the spots and it was slick with a light tan color. I of course start to get pissed and call him over. So he sticks a finger in another spot and smells it and confirms yep he thinks it oil.

She only has 2014 miles on it. I was so excited coming home from school on Friday because I broke the 2000 and I could stop babying it. I babied her the first 1500 miles, never put it in sport until after I turned 1500, she never has been put in sport plus. I had her in sport twice and both times I caught myself going over 4200 rpms so I stopped using sport. One morning when I was trying to get out of a sticky spot, I did get her over 5000 rpms for a sec or two and then she went down. I had over 1800 miles on her.

My dealer has no loaners for a couple of weeks and I took the first Saturday appointment this coming Saturday to bring her in for them to look at her. There is also a service campaign already for my car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes it does. My wife calls it my girlfriend. At least it is under warranty and is getting fixed the right way. Hopefully no more issues after this. I'll post more pix today.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a 15 S and it leaked outside the warranty. traded it for a17 S and the leak happened again. Two for two. Better get my mega millions ticket today.

·
Super Moderator
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Thats enough of ot in this thread. This is a sticky. Post 1 says

Please keep this thread strictly just reporting on if you have an oil leak problem, and only if you have a confirmed problem. That's why the thread is stickied, to document actual data, not as a general complaint thread. Don't post your car is OK. Don't post you want to complain about the quality of the cars or other complaints. Don't clutter it up with other comments. Don't add other complaints. This list is only about leaking oil

ot posts moved to Oil leak anyone?. any more ot posts will be deleted without being moved.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Update: Valve Cover

In light of the post (# 250, above) by @grim, I will update here a post I started 10 days ago in what has now been designated an off-topic oil thread. In that thread (Oil leak anyone?), I posted this pic from an overnight clean-cardboard check:

The update part:

I dropped off the car -- 2018 Macan S, c. 49,000 miles -- at the dealership this morning (8AM, ugh). I got a text from the service dept. a little while ago, with these pics:

I called them for add'l info, and was told that the problem was a valve cover leak (or, as @Jellybean often types it, "value cover"). And that they should be finished with the car "by the end of the week."

We agreed that they might as well go ahead and do the 50K-mile service, while the car's there. In the meantime, I have a '21 Macan S loaner, Jet Black Metallic, 20" Macan Turbo Wheels in Jet Black Metallic, yada yada, a pretty sharp looking car (well, until today's snow, slush, and salt get a hold of it).

That's all I got.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Well, since we are only reporting here, my report is as follows:

Porsche Macan 2015 S with 95K miles.

While attempting to remove the serpentine belt for another project , I noticed a small oil drop hanging from the bottom of the engine case, same spot everyone is reporting. The oil residue in the cover is about 6in in diameter, and I don’t have any evidence that it has gotten past the cover.

Cleaned the whole cover, inspected the day after and still clean.

Assuming this leak had been there for a long long time, a few drops per year.... not gonna worry about it now.

Oil level is well maintained... at maximum after a few months from last change. Don’t think this is a severe problem, or even a marginal problem in my Macan. Hopefully it will not develop further.

I will remove the bottom cover again over the weekend and re-inspect. Will edit this post with findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

221 - 240 of 261 Posts