Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I have a MY17 Macan S and about 2 months ago, I did an oil change at a family member's shop. The car has about 9000km on it at the time, bought an oil filter and gasket from the dealer and 0W40 mobil 1. Everything was done within spec and touque to the spec.

After a few weeks of driving, I notice a wet spot on the undercar engine cover, went back to the shop and took the cover off, there was a leak around the oil filter housing. We suspect that the o-ring was wrong, and it was confirmed that the dealer gave us the smaller gasket for a Cayenne, dealer gave us back the correct bigger and thicker o-ring for the Macan for free, went back to the shop and installed it and thought it will all be fine.

However, after a week of driving with the new gasket, we still see oil seep out from the filter housing, now we suspect that the oil filter housing might be the problem, so we ordered a new filter housing set along with a new filter and gasket.

Today, we have installed the new housing along with new o-ring and new filter, however, when we start up the car after installing everything, we still see little oil seep out from the bottom of the filter housing. We do not know at this point if it is just the oil residue from the housing threads when we screw the housing on or it is still continues to seep oil out the housing.

Does anyone have a simular problem after an oil change? There aren't anything else we can do or replace already, new housing new o-ring amd new filter, all oem parts already, all torqued within specs. Hopefully someone will have simular experience with an oil change and have a solution, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
what about the drain washer part 900-123-152-30

1.5mm thickness
15.8mm (16mm) inner diameter
22mm outer diameter

Parts dept could have given you a bigger size washer (for use on Cayenne), it happened to me a couple of times and I had to go back to get it exchanged.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The washer seems fine, area around the drain plug is dry no leaks, the leak appears to be from the gap of the filter housing to the engine, but we really cant figure out what else can go wrong to cause a leak there, new housing new o-ring new filter all correct part number and installed to spec, is there something we might have overlooked other than the above mention?

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
At this stage, you better let the dealer take a look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I guess I will book an appointment for that, but is just really weird, is such a simple job and with all the right tools and parts, we have been working on many other euro cars and other older porsches for the past 30 years, never experienced such problem before.

I just cant think of anything else that can go wrong, there is only a filter, o-ring, housing, and the engine itself, and the chance of the engine part being the failure part is almost unheard of.....is just weird

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Is the gasket supposed to be lubricated with clean oil before you install the new filter? (as on most other cars)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The gasket is already lubricated out of the box actually. When you get the housing, it came with the gasket already installed on the housing, and it is pre lubed already with oil. The pic I took cant really show the oily gasket but it is actually quite oily. I dont know if the oil is for the part manufacturer to install the gasket on the housing easier or is it for the the actual installation on the car. I am pretty sure is not a return or anything the box is sealed with porsche seals on both sides from dealer and I cut it open myself. We did put a little new oil to lube it before installing like on most cars.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
how did this issue resolve?

Comparing the two photos, it is not clear the O-ring is in the same location in the Macan filter holder
as in the 911 (?) filter holder.

Was that the root cause for the seepage?

Thx!

0:)

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
The gasket is already lubricated out of the box actually. When you get the housing, it came with the gasket already installed on the housing, and it is pre lubed already with oil. The pic I took cant really show the oily gasket but it is actually quite oily. I dont know if the oil is for the part manufacturer to install the gasket on the housing easier or is it for the the actual installation on the car. I am pretty sure is not a return or anything the box is sealed with porsche seals on both sides from dealer and I cut it open myself. We did put a little new oil to lube it before installing like on most cars.
The question now is, before I perform my first oil change on my 2017 S, If you ever fixed or discovered the problem / cause of the leak? Also was the dealer service dept able to give you any help or answers? Would like to know the results of your efforts. thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have not had any problems with the oil change kit I got from Sun Coast Parts. Make sure you don't cross thread the housing, the filter and housing are a tight fit and my mechanic took a good minute to get it on right.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Doing an oil change on the macan and when I took the belly pan off I noticed oil had been leaking from the filter housing and blowing back under the engine. Very small leak as it had been about a year and almost 8K miles since it was last changed by the dealer and I have not needed to add oil or had any drips on the garage floor. When I took the filter housing off I noticed that as you follow the threads back up the housing at the end of the threads there is a small groove then a flat area about an eighth of an inch and then the shoulder that buts up to the engine. The rubber sealing ring was down in the groove. Is that the correct position or should it be up on the flat area next to the raised shoulder. I could not see any reason for the leak and the torque when I took it off seemed to be sufficient. If the o ring is supposed to be in the groove and not up next to the shoulder then I must assume that the o ring was a bit too small or has an imperfection, which I could not see.
If anyone can verify if the oring should be in the groove instead of up next to the shoulder I would appreciate it. It would not be the first time a dealer screwed up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Two thoughts as I just changed the oil on my car this week. There are multiple reports that the o-ring, if you buy the filter online, might be the incorrect size. However, if the dealer changed the oil, I suspect they used the proper part.

On the canister (see picture below), there is a marking of "25 + 5Nm" printed. At 25 Nm, the canister did not seem quite all the way flush. I bumped up the torque wrench to 30 Nm and the fit seems better.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not impossible for a dealership to screw up an oil change by grabbing the incorrect filter/o-ring or over torquing. In general, a dealership is safer than the quick lube joints but they are not infallible as they usually hand this task to the newbie grease monkeys. No need to waste a certified tech's time on it.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Not impossible for a dealership to screw up an oil change by grabbing the incorrect filter/o-ring or over torquing. In general, a dealership is safer than the quick lube joints but they are not infallible as they usually hand this task to the newbie grease monkeys. No need to waste a certified tech's time on it.
Yes, and as I recall the same filter with the other O ring is used in other Porsche models. The mixup could have easily been in the dealer parts department.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am still not sure if the o ring is in the right position and I can't find a picture of one in place. It may just not be seated in the right position.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, That was my thought as all my other porsches are that way, but just covering all the bases. That would seem to indicate that they used the wrong o ring. Now I am comfortable putting it back together. I will definitely leave the belly pan off for a while until I am sure there is no leak.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts