Porsche Macan Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 1281 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,426 Posts
OK...

So, where is the NHTSA action on Porsche's V6 engine TCC oil leak and its effect on the alternator? This issue has been present
for a few years.

I have seen a few forum members posting their alternator was pretty well covered with leaking oil. Is it a certainty the oil came from
the TCC or might it have originated from a leaking valve cover gasket? When my Macan went in for the TCC oil leak repair, the dealer
replaced the valve cover gaskets as well (maybe as a proactive measure?).

?

·
Registered
2018 GTS
210 Posts
My alternator was covered on both Macans and looking at the TSB it would make sense that it came from the timing chain cover.

I would assume the valve covers were proactive as well it is something I am going to ask about when they pick up the GTS tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Just filed complaint with NHTSA and also with Colorado Attorney General.
Why not :) btw you might already know the recommended escalation process PCNA recommends, pic from my Macan maintenance manual as attached. I’d to contact PCNA recently & their co-operation was exemplary. So even though you have gone legal, give PCNA a chance to set it right. You can always call them, but to be precise & for follow-up I would say email them @ [email protected]. Hope this helps & good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Vin, thanks for the follow up. On your recommendation I just emailed customer support. Will report back on anything I hear.
David

·
Super Moderator
3,426 Posts
Note the chain of command protocol described in the manual page posted above! (another case in point regarding the concept of RTFM)

Service Manager => General Manager => PCNA​

By going to a lawyer, the entire chain has been circumvented...

I had an issue a couple of years ago in which I repeatedly was stonewalled by a service manager. One email to the general manager
stating I hoped I wouldn't have to take my issue to the dealership's owner was all it took to get things resolved. I heard back from the
general manager a couple of hours after I sent my email.

It can work.

Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you for the clarification and reminder about the chain of command protocol. I appreciate that. Hopefully I haven't blown this process up. Given the flippant/canned response from the Lakewood CO SA at Prestige Imports, the known issues with the gaskets, and the numerous posts in this forum, I was so upset and all over the map. Worst comes to worst, I will have it repaired at my local Indy. Again thank you to all the wonderful helpful forum members :)
David

·
Registered
2018 GTS
210 Posts
Follow up on my TCC repair - I texted my SA today to tell him I had read that a lot of people who have had this repair done also have the valve cover gaskets replaced when the motor is out (thank you forum) he replied "the valve cover gaskets do get replaced as well with this repair" that was the first time I had heard it stated that way but happy to hear it.

Also to note the paperwork from the diagnosis stated "found the top two cover bolts to be broken" this seems to me consistent with the TSB and my last Macan where they only replaced the top two bolts and did not remove the motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Everyone I'm curious if anyone will have a suggestion as to where this oil leak is from? It's a slow leak, driver's side toward front of engine, a trail can be spotted, from oil pan up some wire harnesses and up to some pulley mounts, at the base of the a/c compressor. I'm thinking it's valve cover gasket? Anyone else? A different suggestion? How does one gain access to the area? Air filter and other things are in the way on top

Attachments

·
Registered
17 gts volcano
25 Posts
EBEF5B16-07DE-458C-A0B9-325E892ABF9A.jpeg
A56E9CE3-D232-4D70-BE12-74EB5AFBF5E7.jpeg
Had the belly pan off my 17 gts a few months ago to take my first look since acquiring it at the beginning of December. Both side showed some oil leakage. I was bummed but specifically bought this one bc it’s CPOd until end August 22. So instead of doing my 1st oil change I figured I’d give them the first one and have them see the leak. Long story short, when they called to say it was done they said “tech didn’t see any oil leaking at all”. When I picked it up I explained that I had taken photos about 3k ago and there is, for me, an unacceptable amount of oil leaking so I respectfully disagree and would like to know what they can do to resolve it.
After sending my SA an email with pictures that day, leaving VM with her and the follow up guy, I get the email about the survey coming today. I was going to flame them for not responding 10 days after me appt. but decided to respond with the fact no ones contacted me in 10 days and I wanted him to know that before I filled out the survey. They called right away and we’re extremely apologetic and would like to re-inspect. It’s going in Friday so I’ll update as to whether I’ll have to escalate to PCNA or not.
Thanks to this forum, at least I knew what I was getting in to. Also, this doesn’t diminish how much I love my gts. It makes me smile daily

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
View attachment 243513 View attachment 243514 View attachment 243515 View attachment 243516 Had the belly pan off my 17 gts a few months ago to take my first look since acquiring it at the beginning of December. Both side showed some oil leakage. I was bummed but specifically bought this one bc it’s CPOd until end August 22. So instead of doing my 1st oil change I figured I’d give them the first one and have them see the leak. Long story short, when they called to say it was done they said “tech didn’t see any oil leaking at all”. When I picked it up I explained that I had taken photos about 3k ago and there is, for me, an unacceptable amount of oil leaking so I respectfully disagree and would like to know what they can do to resolve it.
After sending my SA an email with pictures that day, leaving VM with her and the follow up guy, I get the email about the survey coming today. I was going to flame them for not responding 10 days after me appt. but decided to respond with the fact no ones contacted me in 10 days and I wanted him to know that before I filled out the survey. They called right away and we’re extremely apologetic and would like to re-inspect. It’s going in Friday so I’ll update as to whether I’ll have to escalate to PCNA or not.
Thanks to this forum, at least I knew what I was getting in to. Also, this doesn’t diminish how much I love my gts. It makes me smile daily
Good luck! It seems you are taking the right approach on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yesterday, the dealer confirmed the timing chain cover oil leak. They have ordered parts and expect to have the vehicle for a couple of weeks to complete the repair. 🤞
Following up on this post, received my vehicle back yesterday. Dropped it off May 19th, received it June 15th. Posted the service invoice here if anyone is interested: Oil Leaks

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
More to my story...

I inspect my Macan now with the borescope once per week, at minimum, looking for leaks. Quick 2-minute inspection. Call me paranoid… ;).

Two days ago I found that the screw on the opposite side to the one I replaced was seeping oil. Thanks to this routine inspection, I was able to capture this leak well before any oil made it to the bottom. I don't even have oil leak evidence in the undercarriage cover.

Photos of the oil seepage…

I thought to myself, well, this is going to be difficult. There is simply no space from the bottom to access this screw, like the other one. The only alternative is from the top.

So, I removed the filter housing...

And got good access through the side.

As soon as I touched the screw with my screwdriver assembly, it completely snapped. It was in worst shape that the other screw, which snapped after a few turns. It was already broken and possibly the old crap is what was holding the screw in place....

This time, I was very careful not to pull the back side of the screw inside the hole, and I was able to take the front part of the screw immediately by pulling. For the back part of the screw, I had to loosen with a 90 degree plier and once loose, I was able to take it by hand from the other side.

Below you can see the old snapped screw, and the new screw going in, which I had in my stock inventory...

I cleaned the screw hole with alcohol, until completely clean. You can see below, without the screw in place yet.

I added permatex high temperature thread sealant, like I did with my previous replacement, and installed the new screw to torque specs. The photo shows the new screw in place.

Hopefully this will stop this current leak and any future ones. These (this one and the one I replaced prior) are the only two screws that are relatively accessible. Others will require removal of the whole front to address (maybe). I may need to assess if the time comes, which I'm praying it doesn't.

I feel like this guy...

Now, waiting 24-48 hours for the thread sealant to cure, so that I can test.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,256 ·
I need to catch up on this thread as I’m about 50 pages behind. I just did an oil change and noticed my oil leak looks to be getting worse. I don’t think they ever really fixed this leak as I’ve always had oil on the bottom half of my engine. Luckily it seems I’m only missing less than 1/2 quart between oil changes. Between the normal burn rate and the seemingly normal leaking rate, I think that’s fine with me. So far one of the best features of the car is the under belly cover as it keeps my garage floor clean.

Reactions: Mleibrock

·
Registered
33 Posts
Follow up on my valve cover gasket SWEATING on Base Macan 2017. Followed up with service manager and general manager at Prestige Imports in Lakewood CO. Got same reply:

I have reviewed the pictures as well as the paper work and unfortunately what you were told is true. That does not qualify as a leak at this time. It needs to be an actual drip for Porsche to authorize repairs. This is Porsche’s policy not ours, and it is for vehicles under warranty. Goodwill only applies to warrantable repairs so no we cannot provide goodwill at this time. If the leak gets worse in the future we would be happy to request goodwill at that time. Or we can certainly work with you on pricing if you want to pay for the repair.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Follow up on my valve cover gasket SWEATING on Base Macan 2017. Followed up with service manager and general manager at Prestige Imports in Lakewood CO. Got same reply:

I have reviewed the pictures as well as the paper work and unfortunately what you were told is true. That does not qualify as a leak at this time. It needs to be an actual drip for Porsche to authorize repairs. This is Porsche’s policy not ours, and it is for vehicles under warranty. Goodwill only applies to warrantable repairs so no we cannot provide goodwill at this time. If the leak gets worse in the future we would be happy to request goodwill at that time. Or we can certainly work with you on pricing if you want to pay for the repair.
Usual dealer bs.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Take a copy of this and attach it to your letter asking for confirmation of ‘Porsches Policy’. Also try to get the’best’ pic of the seepage. Print it out and attach as well. Provide specifics of dates, names and mileage.

Then wait.

Reactions: V6TT
1241 - 1260 of 1281 Posts