Porsche Macan Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 1281 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
2017 Macan S purchased used in November 2019 with 34,000 miles. Had Sterling Service, and independent shop, perform pre-purchase inspection and noted no issues other than a faulty windshield rain sensor. Got it home and noticed the front splash shield looked like fluid had leaked through it. Dropped the shield and noticed some oil on the engine so took it in for an inspection at Porsche Littleton. Porsche Littleton claimed that there was no leak and that the oil on the engine was likely the result of an oil change done at the independent dealer I purchased it from who they claimed used the wrong o-ring for the filter. Porsche Littleton changed the oil and we went on our way. Then had the 40,000-mile service performed by Porsche Littleton in August 2020 and no issues were noted. It currently has 42,000 miles and I recently noticed a few drops of oil on our garage floor, so got under the car again and the entire splash shield is covered with oil and almost every part of the engine I can see is coated with oil. I have an appointment with Porsche Littleton in 2 weeks which is the soonest they can get it in. I'm a bit nervous since my warranty expires on 6/15/21.

View attachment 242378 View attachment 242379 View attachment 242380 View attachment 242381 View attachment 242382
Yesterday, the dealer confirmed the timing chain cover oil leak. They have ordered parts and expect to have the vehicle for a couple of weeks to complete the repair. 🤞

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yesterday, the dealer confirmed the timing chain cover oil leak. They have ordered parts and expect to have the vehicle for a couple of weeks to complete the repair.
I’m glad they are responding, as expected, to your situation. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I checked the spot under the AC compressor again today, after driving probably 200 to 300 miles, and the oil smear was dry, potentially indicating residual oil somewhere. I think my issue is completely solved now. :)
Some photos, after opening and inspecting the undercarriage today... dry!!

I'm, however, monitoring an area near the bottom (red circle in diagram below) that appears a little wet but not enough to make it down. It stays there...

I was able to better position the borescope from the bottom, once the undercarriage cover was removed, and take some better photos...

This is a photo of the top most left screw (taken from the bottom):

This is the side (union between the TCC and the engine):

This is the bottom of that area marked red in the diagram:

Following the contour towards that bottom part of the TCC.

This is one continues to follow the contour, one of the bottom screws...

It seems that most of the crap in these last photos is residual oil from previous leaks. I'm not able to get in there to clean. But I can't discard the possibility of additional very, very slow leak. For now, I'm definitely closing this DIY repair for my car.

Wanted to provide an "effectiveness check" on the DIY repair after driving a couple of hundred miles.

·
Registered
2018 GTS
210 Posts
@Santirx good to see you made serious progress here even if there is the most minor leak left you likely got it to the point where it really wouldn't be an issue anyway kudos!

So far I have been checking by removing the pan any time I have it up on a lift and I just did that again yesterday and I am not seeing any oil but to your point I have wanted to get a borescope anyway and I will be able to get more detail on what's going on (or not) with one so I will order one up and report back when I can.
Reporting back here I did buy the scope but I also sold the S it was dry when I did so it lasted for 10 months anyway. I traded the S for a well optioned 2018 GTS I will post up when I get a minute looks like I may end up going through the whole process again but certainly hope this one doesn't develop the leak although I accept the fact that there is a good chance I will.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I have a 2017 Macan GTS purchased new in late 2016, After the first 25,000 miles the selling dealership told me i had an oil leak from the timing cover, out went the engine and they fixed the leak. At 49,000 miles i thought i better bring it in and make sure nothing wrong that might need fixing under warranty with only a thousand miles left, also requested an oil change. I get a call from the dealership telling me there's an oil leak from the timing cover and in addition i need a new transfer case! They pulled the engine again "fixed" the leak and replaced the transfer case - of course no-charge under warranty. I also got in the mail an extended warranty for 7 years on the transfer case directly from Porsche.

Okay moving ahead to today, out of warranty, I've got 55,500 miles on the Macan GTS and i discover i have an oil leak from the timing cover (3rd time now)! Called dealer, left VM for service advisor and weve been playing VM tag, but were setting up an appointment to get the car in. My question is; do you think they will (or Porsche) pick up the cost of repair since this is the 3rd time and they so called "fixed it" 5,500 miles ago, and the vehicle is now out of warranty?
Absolutely! Sorry to hear about your saga. I’d say, it’s on the dealer. Before getting them to fix it, I would seriously consider taking it to a different dealer. Pls share where you are & we might be able to give you recommendation on better ones in your area. At the same time do open a complaint directly with PCNA. Btw I’d my TCC fix done recently at 43k miles. I plan to do a 2,000 mile check at the dealer 🤞

·
Registered
2018 GTS
210 Posts
Well looks like it was wishful thinking looks like the 2018 GTS (48k) I traded my S for has the same exact leak as the S did at least I got this one with some warranty left on it. There has to be way more of these out there that are never reported I am 2 for 2 and on this one you cannot see it on the ground worse part is this one had all of the service intervals and oil changes done by Porsche and it was never reported...only took me 30 seconds to look up through the bottom to see the oil they must not be reporting it intentionally.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Well looks like it was wishful thinking looks like the 2018 GTS (48k) I traded my S for has the same exact leak as the S did at least I got this one with some warranty left on it. There has to be way more of these out there that are never reported I am 2 for 2 and on this one you cannot see it on the ground worse part is this one had all of the service intervals and oil changes done by Porsche and it was never reported...only took me 30 seconds to look up through the bottom to see the oil they must not be reporting it intentionally.
Hopefully you be able to get them to fix under warranty. Good thing you checked.

Did you not check before buying intentionally knowing that you still have some warranty left?

·
Registered
2018 GTS
210 Posts
After months of searching I finally found the one I wanted but it was 5.5 hours away so I did take the risk knowing it had some warranty left on it and as you stated thanks to this forum I knew exactly what to look for. I will post back on how the dealer handles it I was one of the first to post here (to my knowledge) about a dealer only replacing the bolts but I believe they pushed me in that direction as a first measure since my last Macan was out of warranty I am curious to see how this one is handled although in all fairness I am taking it to different dealer this time.

I will admit it did take some of the joy I had out of this purchase even though I thought I had prepared myself for this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
After months of searching I finally found the one I wanted but it was 5.5 hours away so I did take the risk knowing it had some warranty left on it and as you stated thanks to this forum I knew exactly what to look for. I will post back on how the dealer handles it I was one of the first to post here (to my knowledge) about a dealer only replacing the bolts but I believe they pushed me in that direction as a first measure since my last Macan was out of warranty I am curious to see how this one is handled although in all fairness I am taking it to different dealer this time.

I will admit it did take some of the joy I had out of this purchase even though I thought I had prepared myself for this.
On the contrary, you don’t know what lack of joy means. Lack of joy would have been if the leak appeared the day after the warranty expired.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
On the contrary, you don’t know what lack of joy means. Lack of joy would have been if the leak appeared the day after the warranty expired.
To his defense, he did say “some”…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 GTS
210 Posts
Thanks @Santirx indeed I did.

So many posts in this thread no way I can read through all of them again is this what happened to you? I had this happens on the S that I traded for this one and it was out of warranty so I am familiar with the experience but I went with the $450 bolt replacement only fix which seemed to work for at least the 10 months I still had the car.

On to the GTS - I called my dealer and told him what I had found using the bore scope recommended by members here he immediately informed me he would need the car for a week as they had to drop the motor. I expressed my concerns with the process of dropping the motor he responded with we do so many of these we have it down to a science nothing to worry about I also expressed my concern regarding all of the oil soaked parts including the alternator he said Porsche doesn't immediately replace them but they have to clean everything and take pictures of it all after the fact. I felt better. So definitely a different experience with the car under warranty but also a different dealership this time although I would think the warranty would be the bigger factor.

Here are some pics using the bore scope @Santirx not sure how you get those perfect shots I will have to go back through your posts and read them again but you can definitely see there is a problem here same place as my last Macan that I am seeing the oil and just as described in the TSB.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Thanks @Santirx indeed I did.

So many posts in this thread no way I can read through all of them again is this what happened to you? I had this happens on the S that I traded for this one and it was out of warranty so I am familiar with the experience but I went with the $450 bolt replacement only fix which seemed to work for at least the 10 months I still had the car.

On to the GTS - I called my dealer and told him what I had found using the bore scope recommended by members here he immediately informed me he would need the car for a week as they had to drop the motor. I expressed my concerns with the process of dropping the motor he responded with we do so many of these we have it down to a science nothing to worry about I also expressed my concern regarding all of the oil soaked parts including the alternator he said Porsche doesn't immediately replace them but they have to clean everything and take pictures of it all after the fact. I felt better. So definitely a different experience with the car under warranty but also a different dealership this time although I would think the warranty would be the bigger factor.

Here are some pics using the bore scope @Santirx not sure how you get those perfect shots I will have to go back through your posts and read them again but you can definitely see there is a problem here same place as my last Macan that I am seeing the oil and just as described in the TSB.

View attachment 242925 View attachment 242926 View attachment 242927 View attachment 242928
Wow! What a messy crap…. certainly frustrating. Good luck with your repair!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maddening. Took it to Prestige Audi in Lakewood Colorado. Dealer said its a sweat.

Specifically, "Inspect for engine oil leak, no leak present although a slight wetness is visible at valve cover, no drips present. No repairs necessary per Porsche warranty guidelines."

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
@hillhome4 Don’t let them get away with the ‘sweat’ comment! When I first discovered mine, I was told that it’s a ‘seep’ and not a leak 🙄 I didn’t let go and pushed hard for them to accept and get a full engine down TCC leak fix. I’ll be doing a full inspection in a few weeks time 🤞

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
What was PCNA’s response when you contacted them?
Same question. When I called PCNA for a different reason they told me to eat dirt but maybe in this case they will do better. I am happy though that people here fight for their rights.

·
Super Moderator
3,426 Posts
Just filed complaint with NHTSA and also with Colorado Attorney General.

Waste of time/effort to file with NHTSA - the oil seepage issue is not considered a safety issue - the focus for NHTSA is SAFETY issues.

Which CO state law is a Macan oil seepage violating? The AG's office would possibly pursue violations of CO state law.

Good luck...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not true NHTSA made
Manufacturer Name : Hyundai Motor America
Submission Date : NOV 13, 2020
NHTSA Recall No. : 20V-705
Description of the Defect : The subject vehicles were involved in Recall 121, a safety recall issued in November 2014, addressing a condition with engines potentially leaking oil from the front cylinder bank’s valve cover onto the alternator. In a small number of cases, the remedy implementation in the previous campaign may not have been sufficient in preventing oil leaking from the valve cover’s gasket. A sufficient amount of oil could damage the alternator resulting in illumination of the charging system warning lamp and disablement of the charging system.
Description of the Safety Risk : If the vehicle is continually driven without recharging the battery, the engine will eventually shut off increasing the risk of a crash.
Description of the Cause : Oil contamination could lead to low or no alternator output. Identification of Any Warning that can Occur : The battery warning light will illuminate when the alternator loses output. As the alternator voltage decreases the airbag warning and/or check engine light may also illuminate. If the vehicle is continually driven, the vehicle will eventually shift to a “limp home” mode limiting vehicle acceleration and speed.
The customer may also experience certain drivability concerns, such as engine surging or hesitation, during any of the aforementioned symptoms. If the vehicle is continually operated with these warnings present the engine will eventually stall.

The same thing can happen to us my alternator was dripping with oil. Also someone on this forum had the tcc leak and repaired and after that his alternator failed.
So this is a problem that nhtsa should investigate and let them decide if it is a safety problem the only way to do that is to file complaints.

1221 - 1240 of 1281 Posts