Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 563 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
I got new antifreeze (and new brake fluid) during a brake repair job under warranty. 0:)

·
Super Moderator
2,177 Posts
For the record, I too have had the timing belt cover leak. Vehicle has been in the shop for 35 days. They took it for a test drive today and broke the radiator on the drive.

Who took the vehicle for a test drive and how does one 'break the radiator'?

Did the dealer service tech take the vehicle for a test drive? Was the radiator not correctly mounted
and fell into spinning fan blades?

And, regarding the timing 'belt' - it's a timing chain. BIG difference!!! And the cover
ends up leaking as a result of some number of timing chain cover bolts having broken, correct? Well, they're
either breaking because they were over torqued when first installed, failed to meet quality control for the bolt
itself, or a combination of both. In any case (no pun intended), it goes back to the initial engine assembly during
manufacture of the vehicle.

:eek:

·
Registered
930 Posts
And the cover
ends up leaking as a result of some number of timing chain cover bolts having broken, correct? Well, they're
either breaking because they were over torqued when first installed, failed to meet quality control for the bolt
itself, or a combination of both. In any case (no pun intended), it goes back to the initial engine assembly during
manufacture of the vehicle.

Yes, my guess (since this seems to be a reoccurring issue) is that they are coming off the assembly line over-torqued, and once enough stress has been adhered, the bolts are sheering. Luckily (so I’m told), the Tech who did my repair was a veteran guy who’s worked on tons of P cars through the years. He was very “pleased” with how mine went back together. So far (again, it’s only been a few months) the engine seems perfect.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
This is not a good thing to read about... Does someone (hey moderators!) need to start a thread specific to oil leaks and start tracking this stuff? Cough, class action, cough...
No. The number of incidents is tiny. That doesn't help those who have it but with 100,000 cars sold, if it were an issue, the customers would be screaming. Look at the transfer cases. Dozens, maybe 100 example, still, a tiny tiny fraction of cars sold.

I'm starting to think the purpose of the under-body fiber pan is to conceal all the oil leaks.
A conspiracy to cover up oil leaks. That sounds reasonable. :|

·
Registered
71 Posts
As far as Porsche's accounting department is concerned, paying dealer for 7 days of labor + cost of replacement parts < initiating a recall.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm sorry to hear that there are more of these popping up. I wanted to share one thing that might be helpful for everyone experiencing this, depending on whether you have financed your car and how long your car is in the shop. Just saw a post that they've had one for 35 days and mine took 29. I contacted Porsche NA via email and just let them know that while I love the brand, that I was disappointed in not only having the oil leak, but also the transfer case issue. I mentioned that this isn't quite the experience I was hoping for with a new Porsche and that I was making car payments on a car that I didn't even have in my possession and couldn't use. For the record, I did have a base model loaner, but it was not on par with what I own. Porsche Support contacted me back within about a day and asked me how much my car payment is. I replied and they said they'd make a one time payment to me to cover the time my car was in the shop. There were no questions asked and no proof of actual payment amount required - just a good faith payment to me to cover the inconvenience.

Might be worth looking into if you've been affected and feel like it's a reasonable request.

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
My ‘15 S with 33k miles is going to the dealer in a few days. I found oil stains on my garage floor.

Will keep you all posted.
Just got a phone call from the dealer. They checked the engine and it is bone dry.

I asked about any other liquids under the hood. Nothing at all! Now I am confused. :confused:

There are definitely dark colored wet stains under the hood on my garage floor and my Macan is the only car parked in that spot for almost 4 years.

Edit: Thinking about this, I recall last year I parked my BMW there for a few weeks while taking out the Macan for a long distance trip. The BMW has the oil pan gasket leak. Mystery solved!

Reactions: TXRed

·
Registered
71 Posts
Brown stains on the garage floor could be drip from rusted up parts in the wet underbody. All depends on how old the parked vehicle is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunatly guys, I am in the party as well, the timing cover. Now I am selling my 15 Macan S 35k KMs and the PPI found the issue. Brought it to the dealer and confirmed they will take care of it, but now my buyer is nerveous AF and I don't know how much I will lose from this issue. If the deal goes through, I expect myself to probably get 3-4 K less from the sale. The buyer seems to be convinced that oil leaks will appear again the the future.

·
Registered
578 Posts
... I am in the party as well, the timing cover. ...

me too. timing cover oil leak. i didnt know I had a problem, but when I took my 2017 Macan S in for the two year service (with low mileage, only 26000 kms), they noticed the problem during inspection. I have to take it back Monday and leave it there for two or three days. i have noticed that the engine oil level is dropping slowly, but they said it’s not related, and that’s just normal oil “consumption”. maybe that’s true, but it seems to be “consuming” more oil in the second year of ownership than it was in the first year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cut mine loose

I was informed at 49,200 that my Macan S had an oil leak by an independent service station (who specialize in Porsches.) Took it to the dealership and was told it was the timing cover. A $9,000 repair. Was a little concerned when I told them where the oil leak was how quickly they said they think they knew what the problem was. Makes me think this very expensive leak is a lot more common than they are letting on. Decided to trade it in on a new BMW. Especially given that I still had two and half years left of payments. Really disappointed about the whole thing. I loved that car, but there was no way I was going to wait for the other shoe to drop. Just couldn't trust it - or the dealership for that matter. How come an independent service station was able to find what they couldn't? Were they just waiting for me to go over 50,000 and THEN let me know about the leak? Meaning the $9,000 would then coming out of my pocket and not Porsche's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was informed at 49,200 that my Macan S had an oil leak by an independent service station (who specialize in Porsches.) Took it to the dealership and was told it was the timing cover. A $9,000 repair. Was a little concerned when I told them where the oil leak was how quickly they said they think they knew what the problem was. Makes me think this very expensive leak is a lot more common than they are letting on. Decided to trade it in on a new BMW. Especially given that I still had two and half years left of payments. Really disappointed about the whole thing. I loved that car, but there was no way I was going to wait for the other shoe to drop. Just couldn't trust it - or the dealership for that matter. How come an independent service station was able to find what they couldn't? Were they just waiting for me to go over 50,000 and THEN let me know about the leak? Meaning the $9,000 would then coming out of my pocket and not Porsche's.
Sorry to hear about your experience. Congrats on the new BMW though!

Did the Porsche dealer repair it under warranty before you traded in, or did you trade in as is?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Has anyone seen numbers on the frequency of this?

I'm shopping right now for one but seeing all this has me thinking twice (and I found it on another forum). I read the bolts were over tightened.

The Macan I was looking at was traded on a BMW, but they wouldn't tell me why. And they wont certify it. After market warranty is 6k if anyone is curious.

I really wish Porsche would do better at covering this stuff. Modern day cars are not supposed to need $7,000 repairs before they hit 100k miles.

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
If it is Porsche's fault, they usually will offer some goodwill for repairs out of warranty.

Specifically for Macan, transfer case and oil leaks are 2 major concerns, both of which should have some goodwill from Porsche.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got my 2016 Macan Turbo back from replacing bolts in the valve cover and timing chain cover. There were oil leaks in those, due to broken bolts (material quality issues). They had to drop the engine out to do the repair and it took 2 weeks. I signed paperwork for the dealer to be reimbursed for $4700+ for the warranty service. All seems good in my first 100 miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
#MeToo
Went in for 20000/2 year service today. Technician found 'engine oil leak at the camshaft area' and the fix is covered by the warranty.

A couple of months back, a warning showed up asking me to add a quart of engine oil. I thought it was normal and added 1 quart and the message went away.

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
Year and model?

101 - 120 of 563 Posts