Porsche Macan Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1200 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
quote The screw (bolt) you replaced is showing slight oil seepage . unquote.
In your repair you stated that the correct Porsche bolt was used.
You also indicated that the bolt was torqued to the correct specification.
You are considering replacing or tightening the bolt to above recommend specs.
My two cents. LEAVE THE BOLT ALONE. Take what the Porsche gods have given you, a significant reduction in your oil leak without spending $10K. Nothing but trouble awaits you if you over tighten that bolt.

·
Registered
742 Posts
quote The screw (bolt) you replaced is showing slight oil seepage . unquote.
In your repair you stated that the correct Porsche bolt was used.
You also indicated that the bolt was torqued to the correct specification.
You are considering replacing or tightening the bolt to above recommend specs.
My two cents. LEAVE THE BOLT ALONE. Take what the Porsche gods have given you, a significant reduction in your oil leak without spending $10K. Nothing but trouble awaits you if you over tighten that bolt.
+1

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
Here's one for you. I kept smelling burning oil every time I'd pull mine into the garage. Seems I'm leaking oil out of the oil sensor switch. This is AFTER the engine was pulled for the TCC leak. I've sent the pic on to my SA to let him know.

It looks to me as though the gasket (on which the switch seats) is not correctly aligned with the switch.

:unsure:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
These photos are before and after comparison (before screw was replaced, and after screw replacement) after about 70 miles of driving - 35 miles back and forth in my daily commute.

These drops only collect below the A/C compressor. There is no oil presence anywhere else.

As you can see, I still have a leak, most likely in the screw I replaced, which slowed the leak considerably.

Before:

After:

Only a little bit of oil here... hopefully dries itself out.

No oil residue here...

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
2018 Macan S delivered new in Sept 2017 and 39K miles. 40,000 mile service cost approx $1600 and brake flush was $200. I bought the prepaid service for around $3,000 for 4 years. Have 1 more prepaid service at 5yr/50K miles.

I told them there was occasional oil drop on garage floor. Diag-Timing Chain Cover leak. Parts on order and will return in June for repair. They will need the car for about a week.

I have used the same Porsche dealer for all services
2018? I always thought the TCC leak issue ended with the 2017 models. I have a '17S that leaked at 30K miles. I have been kicking myself since for not having waited a year to buy a 2018. But now I see the 2018's are afflicted, as well, Such a bummer for you. I feel your pain...if if Porsche fixes it.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
2018? I always thought the TCC leak issue ended with the 2017 models. I have a '17S that leaked at 30K miles. I have been kicking myself since for not having waited a year to buy a 2018. But now I see the 2018's are afflicted, as well, Such a bummer for you. I feel your pain...if if Porsche fixes it.
The change over took place about March 2018. The reason I keep this in mind is mine arrived in February 2018. I look under the car frequently.

·
Registered
849 Posts
It occurred to me that these discussion all seem to be related to the 3.0L motor.

Have anyone had any such problems with the 2.0L?

I'm also curious as to why the 3.0L motor, virtually identical in every respect to the one in our Audi S5 exhibits no such problems in the Audi . . .

I confess I don't follow the Audi forums so it may be that I am just unaware of it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
List of engines affected and years
From NHTSA website Porsche Communication Bulletin on repairs procedures
March 30, 2021 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: No. 2000.2
Warranty Information
92A, 970, 95B 2000.2

March 30, 2021

Timing Chain Cover Repairs
This bulletin is replacing bulletin 2000.1, dated October 19, 2020.

Model Line: Cayenne - V6T & V8 engine
Panamera - V6T & V8 engine
Macan - V6T engine

Model Year: Cayenne, Panamera (2011 - 2017),
Macan (2015-2018)
Information:
If an oil leak is identified from the timing chain cover and it has been found that any part on the timing cover has failed, then the engine must be removed and the entire timing chain cover resealed per Workshop literature WM 153319

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
After a week of driving... including a 150mile trip out of state... the drop is not growing.

Only limited to that smear of oil (not even a drop).

The angle of the photo is reversed... that drop is meant to be at the bottom of the screw, but it was the way I inserted my borescope.

Other areas remain dry...

I'm not doing anything else about this. I now consider this issue solved.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Any tips for where to insert and aim the borescope to get a good view of this (all areas at risk)?

·
Registered
52 Posts
It occurred to me that these discussion all seem to be related to the 3.0L motor.

Have anyone had any such problems with the 2.0L?

I'm also curious as to why the 3.0L motor, virtually identical in every respect to the one in our Audi S5 exhibits no such problems in the Audi . . .

I confess I don't follow the Audi forums so it may be that I am just unaware of it.
Don't think the 2.0 has this problem and that is an VW/Audi engine. Gen 2 Macan V6s have the Audi engine, but 1st gen were a Porsche engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Any tips for where to insert and aim the borescope to get a good view of this (all areas at risk)?
From the top, I insert the borescope line down in between the air filters and the engine, looking towards the TCC using the borescope tip side view.

From the bottom, I insert it through the undercarriage cover openings toward the side, using the normal borescope view. These openings are accessible, but you have to lay on the floor (you don't have to go under the car).

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
Don't think the 2.0 has this problem and that is an VW/Audi engine. Gen 2 Macan V6s have the Audi engine, but 1st gen were a Porsche engine.

...and, as seen in the table posted above, it is not only Macans that have the TCC issue. It also includes Cayenne and Panamera models, which used
the 90 degree, V6 Porsche engine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Car Back Report, re Valve Cover Leak:

Recap:

I noted earlier in this thread (post 252, page 13) that I dropped off my '18 S at the local dealership early on Tuesday, 02/09/2021. A service associate called me that afternoon, to tell me that it was a valve cover leak, and that they should be done "by the end of the week."

Result:

Sure enough, on Friday afternoon, 02/12/2021, I got a call, informing me that the car was ready. I picked it up, and it seems fine.

I may crawl on the floor one of these days, if I feel adventurous, and see whether I can determine if they cleaned the under-carriage tray. Or maybe not.

In any case, they seemed to have changed the oil correctly (more of which in a second). I posted a pic a week or two ago, showing the oil level about 3/4 up, between the min and max lines. After I got home yesterday (a 20-minute trip), and after the car was off for c. five minutes, I checked the level (speaking of which, my garage floor has a slope of 1 - 2°, but I think that doesn't have a significant effect on the readout):

View attachment 239768

Okay, so that's that. If anyone's interested -- say, you want to see the parts list for this repair -- here's the invoice I received.

A couple of notes:
  • There's an oil change in there, too, since the car was close enough to its 50,000-mile service requirement that they asked to do it then, as long as they had the car on a lift, etc. (I had originally planned to wait a month or two, since we aren't driving that much lately.)
  • The invoice is off by a thousand miles, I discovered when I read through it, when I got home. It should read 48,986, not 49,986. I called them up and told them about that, so they could correct their computer entry.
  • Yeah, yeah, those of you who go to an indie or DIY oil changes will be aghast at the price of the oil change. Let's not beat that dead horse now, please.
View attachment 239769

View attachment 239770

That's all I got.
2018 S 25K
2200 miles ago valve cover leak repair, oil gauge was down 30%, they topped off the oil, but not all the way, they told me they always leave it 1 tick under. Oil gauge was close to top. Since then the digital oil gauge continued to go down to about 50%.
took it to another dealer to check for TC leak.
dry no leak. Did a “pressure Che k” to verify oil level. They added 1/2 quart of oil. They topped it off all the way, gauge is maxed to the top. They told me to come back in 1000 miles.
THOUGHTS??

”Normal to burn some oil in a Macan”

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
2018 S 25K
2200 miles ago valve cover leak repair, oil gauge was down 30%, they topped off the oil, but not all the way, they told me they always leave it 1 tick under. Oil gauge was close to top. Since then the digital oil gauge continued to go down to about 50%.
took it to another dealer to check for TC leak.
dry no leak. Did a “pressure Che k” to verify oil level. They added 1/2 quart of oil. They topped it off all the way, gauge is maxed to the top. They told me to come back in 1000 miles.
THOUGHTS??

”Normal to burn some oil in a Macan”

@ARMTBIKER: The first year I owned my Macan, I noticed it "consumed" some oil, perhaps 1/2 a quart between oil changes. The next
oil change I performed myself and found the front of the engine wet with oil. TCC leak. The Macan went in for the repair under CPO and
they also refreshed the valve cover gaskets.

That was two (2) years ago and since that time, and two oil changes later, no oil "consumption". At this point, I believe what I thought was
a bit of consumption was actually oil seeping from the noted areas.

As I've read in various posts in this forum, some Macans seem to use a bit of oil, while other do not. I don't drive mine hard. If I did, I
would expect some oil usage.

I owned several BMWs in the past and they all seemed to use a bit of oil (1/2 - 1 qt) between oil changes, depending on how hard they'd
been driven. Red line shifts at driving schools tended to increase oil consumption somewhat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dealer will fix it-just waiting for parts. Many supply chains are in disarray due to covid. Car is still under warranty and stuff breaks. If the car was not under warranty, I would trade out of it instead of paying for repair out of pocket.

1161 - 1180 of 1200 Posts