Porsche Macan Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1200 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Macan S
17 Posts
It’s been a few weeks since the dealership did my $450 two bolt replacement. I’m trying to get the courage up to pull the belly pan and look. I’m not sure I’ll be able to handle the disappointment if it didn’t work.

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
It’s been a few weeks since the dealership did my $450 two bolt replacement. I’m trying to get the courage up to pull the belly pan and look. I’m not sure I’ll be able to handle the disappointment if it didn’t work.

...well, you can always wait for any potential leak to eventually soak through the belly pan and drip on your
driveway or garage floor... Unfortunately, by that time things will have become pretty messy underneath.

:oops:

...or not...

:unsure:

Go for it! The forum wants to know if the 2-bolt replacement provides a cure in certain cases.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I agree. Go for it! I, for once, would like to know if replacing additional screws could solve my issue. As I said, it seems my issue goes beyond the single screw I replaced, but not sure if I can replace any other.

I recommend you get a cheap borescope... make things easier by not having to remove undercarriage cover...

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
I got an endoscope from Amazon. It takes a few mins to stick it down the hood to find out.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I got an endoscope from Amazon. It takes a few mins to stick it down the hood to find out.
I lay down in front of the bumper (my body is out of the car underside) and insert the borescope camera through the undercarriage openings. You should be able to see the underside from this position.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Reporting back after a few days of commute...

Replaced screw is basically and mostly dry... oil is not coming out of this area anymore...

The side of the TCC cover, which previously would have been covered in dripping oil, is now dry...

However, I still have oil collecting on the bottom of the AC compressor, on a few spots... here...

here...

and some here...

I then focused on areas on top of the AC compressor, and found what I think is a drop of oil (yellow circle)... but not sure where is originating...

This is also a drop of oil, below one of the hoses which is on top of the compressor...

same hose, closer look...

Any ideas, anyone? Could this be another TCC screw?

I do have new screws for other parts of the TCC, but wonder if they would be as easy to replace. I also worry about taking one of those out and the possibility of them snapping in half. It would not be as easy to take the snapped part out... It may require pulling the radiator assembly forward...

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
You’re the most experienced with the oil leak on this forum. It’s probably time to go to an Indy or dealer.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
FWIW, I should be picking mine up tomorrow some time. They ordered a new oil level sensor for me.

Attachments

Reactions: Santirx

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Good luck @Santirx.Excellent diy repair.Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
New leak found by dealer after I reported a smell of burning oil, I'm told its coming from Bank 2 Cam Cover, the fix I am told is to replace the gasket/s.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Porsche Macan S, Black, 20" RS Spyder wheels, Pre Pkg +, Nav, Conn +
4 Posts
Hello.
I am a newbie. I have been a member for about a year now. I have a few British autos, hence my handle. This is my first German auto. Bought it used with 30K miles. I just love the car, Macan S, A1 Black, 20" RS Spyder wheels, full leather, Prem Pkg Plus.

With the forums help; I changed oil the other day. No issues. I noticed on both sides of the engine, oil leak or leaks. Of course I am not happy with this as I feel Porsche's don't leak oil right?! I will have to look further but as we know it is very difficult to see where the leak is from. I may have to take to a dealer. My Macan now has 40K miles. I don't think it is under warranty but maybe there is something they can do.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hello.
I am a newbie. I have been a member for about a year now. I have a few British autos, hence my handle. This is my first German auto. Bought it used with 30K miles. I just love the car, Macan S, A1 Black, 20" RS Spyder wheels, full leather, Prem Pkg Plus.

With the forums help; I changed oil the other day. No issues. I noticed on both sides of the engine, oil leak or leaks. Of course I am not happy with this as I feel Porsche's don't leak oil right?! I will have to look further but as we know it is very difficult to see where the leak is from. I may have to take to a dealer. My Macan now has 40K miles. I don't think it is under warranty but maybe there is something they can do.
What year is your Macan? You should have warranty up to 50K miles... even if you are out of warranty due to time, I would certainly play the mileage card with the dealer for warranty. Your car had not been driven that long... it should not be leaking oil.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Are you checking with a borescope, or for drops on your floor? I’ve never had a drop on my garage floor. My leak is very minimal, but enough to form a drop below the A/C compressor. Some of which drops on to the undercarriage panel. But never the floor.
So far I have been checking by removing the pan any time I have it up on a lift and I just did that again yesterday and I am not seeing any oil but to your point I have wanted to get a borescope anyway and I will be able to get more detail on what's going on (or not) with one so I will order one up and report back when I can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks.I would appreciate that. I might also have found a third party warranty that does not require an inspection for the coverage. If that pans out I will have that taken care of under the new warranty in a month or so.
Just an update on how I took care of the TC leak issue on my out-of-warranty 2015 Macan Turbo with 47,000 miles.

As I mentioned I found a warranty company that does not require inspection prior to warranty purchase and has no waiting period. The cost of warranty was $7k that I will be paying in 36 month installments. A week after I purchased the warranty I filed the claim, claim was accepted and repair was done under warranty. I just picked up the car couple of days ago. $650 was the total bill from the shop, which was the deductible plus some other parts that they replaced while they were there.

Not that much different in terms of cost considering the $7k cost of warranty. But I'm sure other stuff will come up If keep the car long enough. and if i decide to sell the car I can cancel the warranty at any time and get a partial refund ( or actually not pay the rest of installments in my case).

·
Registered
2017 Macan S
17 Posts
I’ve got an update on the $450 two bolt dealer fix. Pulled the belly pan a few minutes ago and… it’s dry as a bone. So much relief. Now if i can just figure out the rotating squeaking noise on the front driver side that starts around 25mph and the squeak in the passenger side door. This is my first Porsche and it still has some work to do to win me over from Mercedes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am scheduled to have the TCC oil leak repair and Transfer Case replacement next month.
Just curious, for those that have had the TCC repair and/or Transfer Case replacement:
  1. Did the repairs fix the issues: Oil leak, Transfer Case
  2. Did the repairs cause any other issues?
  3. Any advice on what else should be fixed, evaluated while the Porsche dealer is doing the work ?
Thanks
2016 Turbo, 23,000 miles

·
Registered
528 Posts
I recently had the TCC done. They were great. It was done in about a week. I got a loaner car. Just did not ask for the right model. They fixed it. Replaced the water pump as it was showing a sign of it starting to seap. Odd? Change the battery on my key fab. I did ask if the would install my new intercooler but they did not want to touch it. If I talked to the mechanic directly I think he would have done it with a handshake with money in it. No problems since but mine really wasn’t a problem in the first place. It’s a weekend car for me and I work from home so I am not car dependent.

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
@bobcook.rcc: Read all of the posts in the following threads:

When you joined this forum you agreed to abide by its rules.

You clearly have missed the thread Oil leak anyone? - 1136 posts - that already exist on the TCC subject.

If a subject thread already exists - ADD your post to it. DO NOT create a new thread on the same topic.

Thank you.

Merging...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Following up on my story... today I opened the undercarriage to inspect and clean the driver's side of the engine again. My intention is to further identify and narrow down where else could oil be leaking out.

When I removed the undercarriage cover, I found that the bottom of the oil pan was completely dry... great news. This part would be a bit damp with oil in no time. The undercarriage cover was also dry, meaning that the oil seepage had reduced considerably. I still have a small drop of oil under one of the screws under the A/C compressor. There are also two other points at the bottom of the A/C compressor that previously would have a drop of oil and the general area would be damped with oil. This time, these two other areas were relatively dry.

As I said, I cleaned the engine (driver's side)...

After cleaning, I turned the car on and left it on for about 30 minutes... drove it around as well, and then inspected with borescope... No sign of oil (still dry) under the A/C compressor.

I did notice a little bit of seepage around the screw I replaced, but nowhere else. I'm tempted to remove it and install a new one (tighten it a bit more).

This is the same screw... a bit of seepage (but nowhere near the previous leak, which started to show up 15 minutes after turning on the car before I changed the screw)...

I didn't identify any leaks anywhere else...

I'll continue to monitor to see if there is any additional collection of oil under the A/C compressor, but it is certainly about 90% better than previously. I can live with 90% better.

1141 - 1160 of 1200 Posts