Porsche Macan Forum banner

401 - 420 of 566 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
Hopefully my 2015 S is spared of this issue.

So far, almost 5 years and 40k miles no sign of any oil leak.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Hope?!

That is not a proper fix!

You've paid for the warranty.

Can't you force them to do the proper repair with engine removal?

Sounds like they are trying to save time & $$ at your expense.

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
My factory warranty expired almost 1 year ago. If the oil leak happens in the future, I will try to get Porsche to do it on goodwill (a long shot though).

Reactions: TXRed

·
Registered
12 Posts
had my 2017 GTS hit the 20k mark and in for service at my trusted non-dealer, Porsche garage. During the oil change they found a "suspended droplet" indicating a leak... They suggested taking the Macan to the Dealer for warranty service suggesting the leak source is the "Timing Cover". After a google search, the Timing Cover leak, bolts, etc., are an all too common complaint with the Macan's. Horror stories include removal of engines for repairs. When I dropped the car off last Friday and suggested to my Service Advisor that up to 30% of the Macan's were likely to have "oil leaks" he did not push back saying it was probably leakage "around the bolts". Time will tell. I have a Base 2020 Macan as a loaner and all I can say is,,, I want my 17GTS back! Fast! Will post a f/u when I get the diagnosis from the Dealer... Also, I'll be taking the car back to my Independent Porsche garage for inspection after Dealer repairs. Not that I don't trust the Dealer,,,, haha.

·
Super Moderator
2,190 Posts
Engine removal to address the timing chain cover oil leak issue is not a horror story, it's a fact. The
Porsche recommended approach is to remove the engine to effect repair.

There's no definitive number or percentage of Macans affected by the timing chain cover leak. The
commonly held belief is that a small percentage of vehicles is affected. It may seem like a lot when
one reads the forums and one needs to keep in mind 107,706 Macans have been sold, just in the US,
since its introduction. An additional 108,800 Macans were sold in Europe over the same period.

Of the 216K+ Macans, how many have been afflicted with the timing chain cover oil leak? 2K would
be ~1%.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Macan Turbo from 10/2015 (60.100 km) will go to Porsche tomorrow for repair the gaskets oil leaking. Price will be 8000 € and Porsche is willing to give 4700 € margin.

Will let them take as much pics as possible, engine has to be taken off. Work is supposed to take 5 days. Will get the car back on friday
I have got back my Macan Turbo having the engine being removed and exchanged lots of bolts, O-Rings and gaskets.
(Took 5 days of repair by a Porsche mechanic with Silver Certificate)

Unfortunately Porsche didn't want to give taken pictures from repair by now (still discussing with them)
After getting back i had strange sounds while driving and at the end the Cardan Drife Shaft bearing in the middle as well was faulty.

Reason for Oil leak:

The 2 Aluminium bolts right and left outer side of the front cover were broken ( I guess over torqued as usual fault or material issue)

So the Quotations were:

Engine removal + Gaskets, O-Rings, Bolts = 8000 €
New Cardan Drive Shaft = 1600€

At the End:

Porsche itself gave 5080€ margin for engine task
Porsche garage gave another margin on their work
Cardan drive shaft was paid fully by insurance (Insurance didn't pay for engine as gaskets were not included in insurance)

At the end from 9600 € i have to pay 2100 € :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have got back my Macan Turbo having the engine being removed and exchanged lots of bolts, O-Rings and gaskets.
(Took 5 days of repair by a Porsche mechanic with Silver Certificate)

Unfortunately Porsche didn't want to give taken pictures from repair by now (still discussing with them)
After getting back i had strange sounds while driving and at the end the Cardan Drife Shaft bearing in the middle as well was faulty.

Reason for Oil leak:

The 2 Aluminium bolts right and left outer side of the front cover were broken ( I guess over torqued as usual fault or material issue)

So the Quotations were:

Engine removal + Gaskets, O-Rings, Bolts = 8000 €
New Cardan Drive Shaft = 1600€

At the End:

Porsche itself gave 5080€ margin for engine task
Porsche garage gave another margin on their work
Cardan drive shaft was paid fully by insurance (Insurance didn't pay for engine as gaskets were not included in insurance)

At the end from 9600 € i have to pay 2100 € :)
Danke für die Infos, sehr nützlich! - From the photos I can see my leaks are coming from the same general places, however, it is hard to see but was the oil leaking to the floor? - The reason of course is that Porsche here in the US resists fixing these leaks until they do and I was curious whether they are a little more "locker" over there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Danke für die Infos, sehr nützlich! - From the photos I can see my leaks are coming from the same general places, however, it is hard to see but was the oil leaking to the floor? - The reason of course is that Porsche here in the US resists fixing these leaks until they do and I was curious whether they are a little more "locker" over there.
Well i didn't see any oil leak neither from top of engine nor on the ground. I assume not many drivers look under the car as much.
From Top view the engine looked much clean and perfect. Issue is .... there is really no room if you look from above so nothing to see there.
Btw my car still had Sixt guarantee from where i bought the car .... everything is usualy included .... but no gaskets :D
So Sixt denied any costs on their shoulder

After i gave my Macan to the Porsche garage for big service at 59k km they told me about leaking oil when they removed the underbody part for
the oil exchange on engine and transmission.
Then i ordered them to discover from where the oil is leaking and they powdered it. After they told me the bolts are broken and created a quotation.
With the Quotation the Porsche garage asked Porsche thru the EDV system for margin and sent them pictures. They have read out the ECU and the tester immediately sends
all memory to Porsche itself before the garage can see the errors and before they start any repair.
After this process waiting for Porsches answer, Porsche decided first to give 4700€ margin on good will. The whole repair should have been 8000€
Then i ordered the repair. After 5 days it was finished and at the end Porsche gave more margin (5080€) and the garage lowered their price as well a bit.
At the end i became a bill over 2100 € for all :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
What's the warranty on this TC repair? If you have this leak, pay $8000, is the nightmare over? Or are you still subject to potentially another TC failure down the line?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What's the warranty on this TC repair? If you have this leak, pay $8000, is the nightmare over? Or are you still subject to potentially another TC failure down the line?
Well .... the Posche mechanics just install new available Aluminium bolts and torque them as Porsche specs with torque and degree after.
After repair there is 1 year warranty on this. If it will leak again or new bolts will break again? I have no magic answer :)

·
Super Moderator
2,190 Posts
There has been considerable discussion over the cause for the timing chain cover oil leak. The consensus seems to be
some number of the Torx bolts holding the cover to the engine block on some number of engines were over torqued,
stretching them too much. Eventually some number of these Torx bolts may fracture, allowing the TCC to loosen and
seep oil.

If your vehicle's repair job included over torquing the replacement Torx bolts, then it would be reasonable to assume
subsequent fractures in the future.

If the replacement bolts were not over torqued, it would seem reasonable to assume they will not eventually fracture.

No magic!

·
Registered
14 Posts
There has been considerable discussion over the cause for the timing chain cover oil leak. The consensus seems to be
some number of the Torx bolts holding the cover to the engine block on some number of engines were over torqued,
stretching them too much. Eventually some number of these Torx bolts may fracture, allowing the TCC to loosen and
seep oil.

If your vehicle's repair job included over torquing the replacement Torx bolts, then it would be reasonable to assume
subsequent fractures in the future.

If the replacement bolts were not over torqued, it would seem reasonable to assume they will not eventually fracture.

No magic!
The Porsche engineers are not stupid when their Spec is torque + Degree. Porsche garage uses a special tool for this.
In case of material Alu issues ... then for sure even the new bolts may brake as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,190 Posts
Did anyone suggest Porsche engineers may be intellectually challenged? I missed that post.

I do not believe there have been comments made that indicate faulty engineering - more likely
assembly issues. There have been two posts in this thread suggesting defective bolts. One post
suggested the holes into which the bolts are fastened may be defective providing false tightening
(TQ) readings - although this would yield bolts which were not threaded all the way in or a cover not
secured to the front of the engine block - and the TCC would be leaking from day 1.

It is my understanding when the TCC issue is addressed at a Porsche dealership, the replacement
Torx bolts are tightened to a given torque and the "plus degree" part (increasing both the clamping
force and bolt stretch) is omitted.

If the factory had a bad batch of Torx bolts used with the TCC, it would be reasonable to think those
would have long ago been rejected and audit procedures put into place to prevent recurrence of the
bolt fracturing issues. Why would the factory want to continue to spend money providing warranty
coverage for an avoidable issue?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm considering buying a higher mileage Macan right now, so the timing cover leak is very important to understand.

Given the moderators here believe it's not an issue that plagues ALL Macans, is it reasonable to assume that a Macan with > 80K miles that has not had this issue probably won't have it at all (meaning if it had over-torqued bolts the oil leak should have occurred already)?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I'm considering buying a higher mileage Macan right now, so the timing cover leak is very important to understand.

Given the moderators here believe it's not an issue that plagues ALL Macans, is it reasonable to assume that a Macan with > 80K miles that has not had this issue probably won't have it at all (meaning if it had over-torqued bolts the oil leak should have occurred already)?
The only "expertise" I have on this topic is from reading the forum for a couple of years now. Your assumption seems reasonable to me ... except that if the previous owner is, like me, not a DIYer, it seems to me that he or she may not know whether the leak exists.

That is, from my reading, it's my understanding that most (all?) of these leaks are not exactly gushers, and so may not even show up as spots on the ground. Rather, they have to be looked for, with the car on a lift, after the bottom shield has been removed. Or so it seems to me.

Thus, your logic seems reasonable to me, but only if it's truly the case that the car has not had this issue -- the issue not always being readily apparent.

·
Super Moderator
2,190 Posts
That is, from my reading, it's my understanding that most (all?) of these leaks are not exactly gushers, and so may not even show up as spots on the ground. Rather, they have to be looked for, with the car on a lift, after the bottom shield has been removed. Or so it seems to me.

I haven't seen any reports of gushers. In the case of my Turbo, the oil was changed at 20K and no leak reported
(I had specifically asked for a check). At 29K+, I changed my own oil & filter and spotted oil on the wiring harness
on the right front of the engine:

I took several photos (one is shown above) and provided them to the service mgr. at a Porsche dealership, who then
scheduled my vehicle for the warranty work.

If it took almost 10K miles to go from dry to the seepage above, it's apparent the leak is a slow one. True, some people
have reported a wet undertray and/or spots on the garage floor. It is my belief those are the results of a longer term
seepage. Eventually the oil will drip onto the undertray and eventually the undertray will soak through or allow the oil
to collect and drip through the vents.

If one is planning to purchase an 80K mile Macan, then a PPI is a must. It would be a good idea to be present in
order to have a "look see" at things along with the inspector!

Good luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I haven't seen any reports of gushers. In the case of my Turbo, the oil was changed at 20K and no leak reported
(I had specifically asked for a check). At 29K+, I changed my own oil & filter and spotted oil on the wiring harness
on the right front of the engine:

View attachment 228948

I took several photos (one is shown above) and provided them to the service mgr. at a Porsche dealership, who then
scheduled my vehicle for the warranty work.

If it took almost 10K miles to go from dry to the seepage above, it's apparent the leak is a slow one. True, some people
have reported a wet undertray and/or spots on the garage floor. It is my belief those are the results of a longer term
seepage. Eventually the oil will drip onto the undertray and eventually the undertray will soak through or allow the oil
to collect and drip through the vents.

If one is planning to purchase an 80K mile Macan, then a PPI is a must. It would be a good idea to be present in
order to have a "look see" at things along with the inspector!

Good luck!
Yes, I would get a PPI for sure. But I'm asking if the PPI shows no leaks on such a high mileage vehicle, is it reasonable to believe that particular Macan will not have the leak down the line?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I would get a PPI for sure. But I'm asking if the PPI shows no leaks on such a high mileage vehicle, is it reasonable to believe that particular Macan will not have the leak down the line?
When i have purchased my Macan Turbo i even didn't know that an Oil leak exist at all.
Looking under the hood the engine looked absolute perfect and clean ... no issue at all ... no oil drops on the floor
I'm pretty sure if someone has never seen the car underneath he might think all is well

The next Macan i even would not believe any dealer who tells me all is well, instead i would look under the car by myself checking exactly
for any Oil leak at the front.

It might be not reasonable as well thinking a higher Car mileage will do the trick ... this breaking bolts issue can affect any Macan at any mileage.

Only thing you can do is .... apart from any mileage ... be sure Service has been done always at a Porsche garage (to get Porsche margin if car is not Porsche approved)
and check yourself under the Car if there are any signs for Oil leak.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It might be not reasonable as well thinking a higher Car mileage will do the trick ... this breaking bolts issue can affect any Macan at any mileage.
The reasoning behind it is this: The leak is caused by over torquing some bolts on the timing chain cover. The over torquing does not appear to be done on ALL Macans produced.

Over torquing will stress the bolts to failure at SOME point. I am trying to determine that "point" - is it 10K miles, 30K miles, 50K miles, 80K miles, etc. Over stressed bolts can't last forever. Based on the distribution of failures, one can hopefully make an educated conclusion about this. For example, if the car made it to 80K miles (or some other figure) without such a failure, then one can hopefully conclude it's not one of the cars that has the over torqued bolts.

It would be good to be able to make this determination, rather than think there's an indefinite time bomb on everyone's Macan...

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
It also depends on how much over-torqued. Question is are all the over-torqued bolts done by the same robot/program to the same torque?

401 - 420 of 566 Posts