Porsche Macan Forum banner

Which oil leaks (if any) have you encountered on your Macan?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Timing chain cover, '18 S, 31k mi, going to the dealer at the end of October. They told me it could of take up to 10 days to get it fixed.
Just checked under my 2018S 23000 miles
Looks like there is a small amount of oil on the bottom under the cover.
I had to add a quart at about 14000 miles, dealer did not notice it at 20000 service???
the green digitol Indictor is at half up the scale.

taking it in this week

·
Super Moderator
3,717 Posts
I spotted my TCC leak in late April 2019 when performing an oil/filter change at around 30K miles.
I took photos and sent them off to the dealership service manager who scheduled my vehicle to come
in for the TCC repair.

At the time, oil had not made its way to the underpanel.

The repair included numerous bolts as well as valve cover gaskets.

When I took ownership, the Macan had just under 14K miles and until the TCC repair, I added oil 2X
between oil changes. Since the repair, there's been no oil "consumption". I check the oil level frequently.

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,337 Posts
Just checked under my 2018S 23000 miles
Looks like there is a small amount of oil on the bottom under the cover.
I had to add a quart at about 14000 miles, dealer did not notice it at 20000 service???
the green digitol Indictor is at half up the scale.

taking it in this week
Dealers do not disclose this leak unless reported by customer. Looks like Porsche SOP.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Unfortunately I have to add my new 2021 GTS to this poll. She is at the dealer now with a value gasket cover leak. I discovered the oil drops on my garage floor at 2014 miles. When i was able to get her to the dealer i had a little over 2200 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
@[email protected]>@W thats what he told me Saturday morning. They had her back in the shop for about and hour and half before he came out to give me the news.

He told me that they see this either very low miles like mine, or very high miles. I asked if he had an idea why this happened, he thinks it wasn’t properly sealed at the factory.

Supposed to get her back either late Tuesday or Wednesday if all goes well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The dealer I’m using now told me they check every MACAN for oil leaks
obviously the last one didnt
thanks
Just got off the phone with my SA they did about 15 last year.
only had to drop the the engine 2-3 times, says they replaced the bolts.
also said much more prevalent in warh climates.
don’t go into next week. I ordered a scope.
will keep u posted
have a good week

·
Banned
1,337 Posts
will keep u posted
have a good week
Mine car is from Florida so maybe it makes sense.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
will keep u posted
have a good week
So they claim they discovered ~ 15 TCC oil leaks & repaired 2 or 3, correctly as per Porsche bulletin & for the the other dozen, they did what.... an improper repair, by not removing engine & just replaced a bolt?

·
Super Moderator
3,717 Posts
So they claim they discovered ~ 15 TCC oil leaks & repaired 2 or 3, correctly as per Porsche bulletin & for the the other dozen, they did what.... an improper repair, by not removing engine & just replaced a bolt?
I do not see why/how a TCC repair completed w/out removing the engine is considered improper.
I understand that Porsche GmbH or NA may require dealers to remove the engine in order to complete
the TCC repair job. There is a photo somewhere (this thread?) which illustrates a TCC repair job in progress
and the engine remains in the vehicle - albeit with the front end (bumper, radiator, etc.) removed. That photo
may have been taken at a non-dealer shop. It seems reasonable that it is possible to effect the TCC repair
while the engine is still in the chassis, though possibly cumbersome in its approach.

Porsche corporate must have their reason(s) for requiring engine removal.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
With respect, I do not believe that by changing one or two bolts constitutes a proper fix for this issue. Why? Because if one were to look at the complete Porsche repair process, there is a very specific bolt tightening process that occurs for every bolt, twice around. If one were to change only a few, say, one to three, it might be suggested that the proper pull-down of the gasket with EQUAL pressure around the entire cover would be impossible to match. Remember, from the factory (still not knowing whether this was performed manually or by machine), I would venture to say that over time, until a leak was found and repairs effected, the gasket has been compressed in a particular pattern and pressure. Deviating from that hold-down pressure could compound the potential for a subsequent leak going forward. If I'm not mistaken there have been one or two from this forum who have had to take their Macan back in for another round of repair to fix it correctly.

Now with that said, I agree that the engine may not have to be dropped to replace the gasket and re-install all the bolts properly. Note, I said 'may'. Mine was dropped to ensure it was done correctly the first time.

Reactions: iconoclast

·
Banned
1,337 Posts
I'm with Porsche on this fix. It seems that SOP is not changing the broken bolts but actually re-sealing the gasket. I only had 1 bolt stripped and they changed the whole piece (at least by the paperwork:) ). Would I do this outside of warranty? **** no.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Ok, oh wise ones.

Best guesstimate on how long does it take to fix the gasket on the value cover?

Dropped GTS off on Saturday. Part ordered on Monday. I was told on Saturday that it would be ready Tuesday night, Wednesday the latest. So I call today to check on my car to see if we are still on schedule for pick up tomorrow after school. Well he tells me that they need more time. So I ask what you need a day? Nope Friday maybe. So I have a tentative plan to get my GTS back on Saturday. A week with them having the car. When I talked with him when I dropped it off, he made it sound like a pretty easy fix. I’m guessing its not a quick fix like he thought.

All I can say is that I’m thankful that this repair is not on my dime.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ok, oh wise ones.

Best guesstimate on how long does it take to fix the gasket on the value cover?

Dropped GTS off on Saturday. Part ordered on Monday. I was told on Saturday that it would be ready Tuesday night, Wednesday the latest. So I call today to check on my car to see if we are still on schedule for pick up tomorrow after school. Well he tells me that they need more time. So I ask what you need a day? Nope Friday maybe. So I have a tentative plan to get my GTS back on Saturday. A week with them having the car. When I talked with him when I dropped it off, he made it sound like a pretty easy fix. I’m guessing its not a quick fix like he thought.

All I can say is that I’m thankful that this repair is not on my dime.
Sounds as if your dealer is just plain busy.

I had to get one of the valve cover gaskets replaced last year. Had to bring the car back a second time because they did not have the part in stock, and it actually took them about two weeks to get it.

But they said the repair would take about two hours, so I just waited while they did it, and it took just about the two hours they said it would.

·
Super Moderator
3,717 Posts
Warranty work...

Haven't there been other discussions concerning the priority warranty work gets at
some dealerships?

OTOH, you've bought two (2) Macans from this dealership?

The actual process of changing the gasket doesn't take a lot of time - maybe a 2 hour (max!) in
the flat rate manual.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I do not see why/how a TCC repair completed w/out removing the engine is considered improper.

Porsche corporate must have their reason(s) for requiring engine removal.
Yes, PCNA must have a good reason for the time & trouble to remove engine to properly fix the TCC leak.
I am not a mechanic but, I am thinking they need to be able to access every single bolt & be able to remove cover, replace gasket & tighten all the bolts. Maybe they replace all of the TCC bolts, even the ones not broken or damaged? Maybe there is a new bolt with a new part #?

I suspect those dealers that do a much quicker repair, with engine in, by just replacing the broken bolt or bolts & do NOT remove cover & replace gasket & reseal are doing a temporary repair & hoping you either sell the car or are out of warranty by the time the leak reoccurs. Or maybe the new owner will not notice the new smaller leak.

If there was a way to leave the engine in place but, just remove enough parts to be able to fully access the TCC & do it correctly, why does Porsche not specify the this is the way to do the repair?

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Thanks everyone, so it seems like an easy fix and maybe they are just busy. I hope that is the reason. (Or they just love my car so much they want to keep it for a while 😀) He did tell me that they had to remove a few things to get to where they need to get to do the repair. I’m surprised that they didn’t send me away with my car and had me bring it back when the part hits town.

@[email protected]>@W This dealership wouldn’t work with me on either car. I have a love hate with this dealership. The sales section has not been the best experience both times I wanted to order a car, but when I was getting the first one serviced the service department has been great to me. The first time I was brushed off I ordered from Champion in FL, and for the new one I ordered her from a dealer in my state about 200 miles away.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
How was your PEC delivery experience 11-2020 vs. 2-2018? The (redacted) virus must have made a difference.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts